Watch, Watched, Watching: That last thread... forget about it completely. It doesn't matter.

RedEyedGhost

11 hours ago, GallowKnight said:

I watched the first episode of Sons of Anarchy spin-off Mayans MC. And I actually mostly liked it, it was enough to keep me watching at least. Despite obviously following in the style of SOA the story and characters felt dissimilar enough that it does not feel like a complete retread. There was a lot of story in the first episode though, and it feels like some of it could probably have been saved for later episodes. There was also an boring shoot-out without any real stakes in broad daylight that just felt like prerequisite for the first episode. As for SOA connections, Alvarez shows up and I assume he will probably have a similarly sized role to his SOA role, which is nice because I always liked Alvarez and Emilio Rivera's portrayal. The Sons of Anarchy also show up (although not The Sons of Anarchy) and for some fucking reason Katey Sagal also has a small cameo (only in a flashback though).

Hopefully Kurt Sutter can keep from indulging in his worst tendencies and Mayans MC can avoid slipping down the same slope as Sons of Anarchy did.

I had basically the same thoughts as you. Yeah, the shootout scene was just stupid. It's interesting enough to keep watching and I like that they can include the people we already know in this one. One thing that will make me stop watching this is

Spoiler

If they drag out this ridiculous plot where his ex GF just happens to be with the Cartel guy. I mean really, are there no other girls?  

As to Katey Segal, probably just to make her happy! She will probably have a song during one of the episodes too.

5 hours ago, dbunting said:

I had basically the same thoughts as you. Yeah, the shootout scene was just stupid. It's interesting enough to keep watching and I like that they can include the people we already know in this one. One thing that will make me stop watching this is

Reveal hidden contents

If they drag out this ridiculous plot where his ex GF just happens to be with the Cartel guy. I mean really, are there no other girls?  

As to Katey Segal, probably just to make her happy! She will probably have a song during one of the episodes too.

The Katey sagal song ideally needs to play over a silent montage of the cast separately engaging in similar activities/emotions too. I love to hate those to the point I'd be sorely disappointed if they are lacking in Mayans.

6 hours ago, dbunting said:

Hide contents

Yeah, that shit seemed contrived to the max.

5 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Huh? It’s one of the funniest movies ever made, imo. 

No, it really isn't. It's a series of absurd sketches, performed by a hugely overrated bunch of poshos.  Which is basically Monty Python's entire output.

Even Terry Jones said their stuff wasn't funny.

"The Holy Grail was a disaster when we first showed it. The audiences would laugh for the first five minutes and then silence, nothing. So we re-cut it and re-cut it and took out things like wind noises and the rustle of clothes because we thought they might be drowning out the comic pauses. It wasn’t until we played it at a film festival in LA to our first proper paying crowd that we got laughs." - Terry Jones

There's a reason why the BBC refuse to play re-runs of Python.

5 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

I’m sure people will still be watching and talking about Mr. Bean in 40 years... :rolleyes:

Holy Grail and Life of Brian are comedy classics. Always will be. 

Well, Benny Hill is still inexplicably popular in the US.

11 hours ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

Any suggestions for a good old classic comedy? Been really hit or miss with them as of late.

Blackadder. Quite possibly the finest, most consistent sitcom in the history of British television. Pisses all over Monty Python.

I just watched the disaster artist and I laughed the whole way through. It's just so surreal and the fact Wiseau is a real person just adds to the enjoyment. Excellent work by James Franco on all levels. Sort of an anti-wiseau

9 hours ago, red snow said:

The Katey sagal song ideally needs to play over a silent montage of the cast separately engaging in similar activities/emotions too. I love to hate those to the point I'd be sorely disappointed if they are lacking in Mayans.

I don't think there actually was musical montage in Mayans first episode, but I guess the might be saving it for a full musical montage episode.

Archived