Watch, Watched, Watching: That last thread... forget about it completely. It doesn't matter.

RedEyedGhost

3 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Glad you enjoyed Beast! I think I’ll buy the dvd. 

And yeah - what do you think of season 4? I tthink it was quite brilliant at times even though season 3 was trash. 

I am only on season 2. I find it very sad sometimes, particularly the Alison/Cole situation..

Great tv though. Noah is very easy to dislike.

6 hours ago, red snow said:

Also as part of a Dwayne Johnson binge I watched "skyscraper". Really stupid but was the closest thing to an 80s/90s era action film I've seen in a while

I wanted to like this and wanted it to be closer to 80s/90s action but found it was less interested in action and more interested in escaping fire through big set pieces. It just didn't click with me.

15 hours ago, red snow said:

Also watched "Jumanji:welcome to the jungle" and found it quite fun. The cast had a lot of fun with the bodyswapping and there was enough elements of 90s games lore to suggest this wasn't anywhere near as lazy as it could have been.

Also as part of a Dwayne Johnson binge I watched "skyscraper". Really stupid but was the closest thing to an 80s/90s era action film I've seen in a while

Agree with you on both of these. I thought Jumanji was much better than I expected it to be. And Skyscraper was as poor as I imagined. I think I basically just went for the popcorn!

10 hours ago, Calibandar said:

I am only on season 2. I find it very sad sometimes, particularly the Alison/Cole situation..

Great tv though. Noah is very easy to dislike.

All I can say is that season 3 wasn’t very good at all but don’t let that deter you from season 4 if you care about the characters in general - if you don’t then fair enough lol but I’m definitely glad I came back to season 4 even though it’s been incredibly sad. 

9 hours ago, Mexal said:

I wanted to like this and wanted it to be closer to 80s/90s action but found it was less interested in action and more interested in escaping fire through big set pieces. It just didn't click with me.

I was amazed at the amount of climbing the film required. Seems there's nothing upper body strength can't solve. They even went there with all the things you could do with a prosthetic leg in an action movie besides throwing it at a villain. Missed opportunity in a film this ridiculous.

6 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Finally got around to watching the disaster artist, perfectly acceptable but nowhere near as good as the book it was based on.  Also hope to watch a few episodes of Iron fist S2 tonight as i'm at work and nothing is happening at the minute.

looks like i need to read the book

10 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Finally got around to watching the disaster artist, perfectly acceptable but nowhere near as good as the book it was based on.  Also hope to watch a few episodes of Iron fist S2 tonight as i'm at work and nothing is happening at the minute.

Yeah I liked the film and there’s a couple of genuinely hilarious laugh out loud moments but the book is just so so much funnier. All the throwaway moments like Greg walking into the apartment only to find Tommy hanging upside down like a bat LOL 

Regarding Bosch -- as was observed above, the whole supporting, recurring cast is as good as the titular Bosch actor, Titus Welliver.  This may well not be realistic in terms of how things really are in the LA police department, but what I'm enjoying so much in the series is utterly matter-of-fact diversity in the range of characters and their relationships with each other. 

I also am admiring of the continuity over at least a couple of seasons of TKT serial killer, and that so often his path intersects, even literally, with one or more of our characters.  The killer knows but they don't, which while nothing is made of it, we the viewers know the killer is experiencing that prized fizzle of exhilaration from the intersection. 

Another key element that makes Bosch stand out from so many other series is its backgrounds.  There is the foreground centering of characters' conversations and interchanges, while there is action in the back.  That action isn't contributing per se to what's happening center stage, but its part of the matrix of daily life in which our characters and their lives are embedded.  It's very cool.

Patrick Melrose is so much better from the second episode after and rapidly closes the emotional distance of the first episode.I think I see why the first episode was done the way they chose but it was a gamble as I was really tempted to give up on it and know others who did.

I watched the second episode of Mayans, it keeps on bing pretty good so far.

Spoiler

However, we are two episodes in and there is already a kidnapped child, although maybe it's for the best that they got that one out of the way quickly. But if they are going anywhere near Ireland I'm out.

And Chucky is back, and working for the Mayans for some reason. Although I'm not going to complain, out of all SOA character to bring over Chucky is a pretty good choice.

And apparently they can say Fuck now. That's good.

Watched the season 2 premiere of The Deuce. The time jump was a bit jarring and the premiere was mostly getting up to speed with the assorted characters. I like the new intro and song with all the shots of NYC from the 70s.

1 hour ago, Astromech said:

Watched the season 2 premiere of The Deuce. The time jump was a bit jarring and the premiere was mostly getting up to speed with the assorted characters. I like the new intro and song with all the shots of NYC from the 70s.

Yeah, new intro vastly superior to the old one. 

15 hours ago, GallowKnight said:

I watched the second episode of Mayans, it keeps on bing pretty good so far.

To each their own, I guess.... We watch this as an unintenional comedy, and lampoon it in real time a-la MST3K.... for the life of me I don't understand how SoA was as popular as it was.... after S3 it was abysmally vapid...., and Mayans is even worse... Kurt Sutter might be the worst writer in TV....lol

On 9/12/2018 at 9:00 AM, Theda Baratheon said:

All I can say is that season 3 wasn’t very good at all but don’t let that deter you from season 4 if you care about the characters in general - if you don’t then fair enough lol but I’m definitely glad I came back to season 4 even though it’s been incredibly sad. 

I just started season 4 (I'm after two episodes), but I have to admit I haven't noticed any particular decline in quality in season 3. All four main characters are seriously emotionally damaged, so sadness is to be expected, but I still hope there may be light in the end of the tunnel for at least some of them.

28 minutes ago, 3CityApache said:

I just started season 4 (I'm after two episodes), but I have to admit I haven't noticed any particular decline in quality in season 3. All four main characters are seriously emotionally damaged, so sadness is to be expected, but I still hope there may be light in the end of the tunnel for at least some of them.

I just think it went off in a lot of unnecessary tangents - season 4 is kind of great by the way. Wonder what you think of it when you’ve seen it all! 

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

I've not seen it, but a lot of people seem to be very angry at the ending of Castle Rock. Was looking forward to this, so that sucks.

This doesn't surprise me since King admits that endings are his most difficult part of writing.  

Behind the curve a bit here but finally got around to watching "liar" which is a strong crime show about an alleged/actual rape. It's really good for the episodes where it's ambiguous and not so much when it's clear what's actually going on. Some strong acting by the two leads. I forget ITV can make good shows.

Dragon Prince and American vandal season 2 are my weekend binge choices.

I recently watched the Mr. Rodgers documentary and found it highly interesting.  I didn't realize how open and straight forward he was with kids regarding tough issues like assassination and divorce.  As a kid I was more of a fan of Sesame Street.  Now I wish I had watched his show more often.

Archived