Watch, Watched, Watching: That last thread... forget about it completely. It doesn't matter.

RedEyedGhost

17 hours ago, GallowKnight said:

The first Raid is fantastic, the second one is a bunch of absolutely amazing action scenes tied to a middling movie,

I liked that one a lot too. The creature design was great.

Yeah the monster isn’t one of my absolute favourites in recent years. 

13 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

Did you?  I've been looking at it, but all horror disappoints me these days, I don't think I've been anything but massively underwhelmed for anything since The Ring, LOL.  I did love Triangle, which literally no one anywhere saw.

It isn’t revolutionary to cinema or anything but it’s well made and well performed and really great at cultivating a very creepy atmosphere and maintaining that throughout. 

I love folk horror though - anything like folklore related is my catnip so I’m bias but has some interesting themes of Male friendship and machismo, guilt & trauma/pain and memories. Really loved it. It didn’t feel boring to me for a moment. No jump scares - all long, lingering well realised creepy moments. 

On 9/21/2018 at 10:57 AM, red snow said:

"Discovery of witches" is ok. I haven't read the books but could follow but don't have benefit of knowing what else is coming up as it was a little slow.

We watched the first ep with no prior knowledge and I got a really strong Twilight vibe from it (films - I haven't read the books).

Season 2 of Snowfall was good. A slight improvement over the foundation of the characters and story in season 1. John Singleton is at his best when depicting 1980s South Central LA and it shows in Franklin's arc.

Two episodes left of season 2 of Ozark and I'm hoping Marty and Wendy Byrde go down for their crimes. They really are shitty people.

I'm anxious for the Mr. Inbetween premiere on FX this coming Tuesday. https://www.fxnetworks.com/shows/mr-inbetween

16 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Just finished The Americans series finale and wow...that was amazing. Might be my 3rd favorite series finale after The Shield and Six Feet Under. 

Hide contents

Paige getting off the train totally gutted me.

Not sure it cracks my top 10, but it’s definitely up there. Easily one of the best non-HBO shows I’ve ever seen. Probably had the best soundtrack of any show since The Sopranos, too. 

Spoiler

I would totally be up for a Paige spinoff... maybe 10-20 years later

12 hours ago, Isis said:

We watched the first ep with no prior knowledge and I got a really strong Twilight vibe from it (films - I haven't read the books).

That's the vibe I got although I've managed to quarantine myself from all things twilight beyond posters, trailers, the tube and coworkers telling me why they think I'd like it. But vampire and witch falling in love is why I'm hesitant about this show.

3 hours ago, red snow said:

That's the vibe I got although I've managed to quarantine myself from all things twilight beyond posters, trailers, the tube and coworkers telling me why they think I'd like it. But vampire and witch falling in love is why I'm hesitant about this show.

Actually it was the performance of the protagonist which screamed 'Kristen Stewart in Twilight' at me (I've watched the first two films). It's in the same ballpark as Hayden Christensen in SW - carelessly bad.

On 9/20/2018 at 12:10 PM, Theda Baratheon said:

Just saw the trailer for the new Netflix horror “Apostle” it’s like a gorier welsh version of The Wicker Man! Oh my GOD my nerdy little heart is excited !!!!

Kind of wished I hadn't watched a two minute trailer for this because I think I would have preferred to be less 'spoiled' for it. But still keen to see it. Hope it's not too gory though.

15 minutes ago, Isis said:

Kind of wished I hadn't watched a two minute trailer for this because I think I would have preferred to be less 'spoiled' for it. But still keen to see it. Hope it's not too gory though.

Oh I think it’s going to be REALLY gory tbh - the trailer certainly was. I think it’s gave us a lot to digest but I still don’t know how things are going to play out. 

1 hour ago, Isis said:

Actually it was the performance of the protagonist which screamed 'Kristen Stewart in Twilight' at me (I've watched the first two films). It's in the same ballpark as Hayden Christensen in SW - carelessly bad.

Kristen Stewart in the snow white film was one of those rare occurences where an actor was bad Even when silent. I think it was a scene where she was lost in the woods and I wasn't sure whether she was scared, excited or happy.

It was hard to tell here whether it was the script or actors. Matthew Goode seemed to have trouble bringing lines to life

1 hour ago, red snow said:

Kristen Stewart in the snow white film was one of those rare occurences where an actor was bad Even when silent. I think it was a scene where she was lost in the woods and I wasn't sure whether she was scared, excited or happy.

It was hard to tell here whether it was the script or actors. Matthew Goode seemed to have trouble bringing lines to life

Yeah, I'm wondering if he is going to ham it up the whole time like a panto villian. I'm expecting more really.

Having seen Kristin Stewart in a couple of films where she can definitely act I can only assume that the Twilight films were just badly written (lol) and badly directed. Possibly it might be the same case here with Discovery of Witches. I shall continue watching and see.

8 hours ago, red snow said:

Unless the company did something very weird this is just not so.  Discovery and Twilight have NOTHING in common beyond supernatural protaqonists.  There can't be anything more different than the characters of Diana and whatever-her-name Mary Sue of Twilight. 

I could not read the Twilight books or watch the Twilight movies.  I did read the three Harkness novels with mostly a great deal of pleasure and engagement.  Not all the parts and elements are equally good, but most of them are interesting, often unexpected, and the best parts are superb.  My favorite elements are Elizabethan London and the witch family's New England house.  The house itself is a character.

Discovery does start slow though, at least I thought so. It's only when they start time-traveling that it actually becomes interesting.  But all this first part was necessary for the set-up.

2 hours ago, Zorral said:

Unless the company did something very weird this is just not so.  Discovery and Twilight have NOTHING in common beyond supernatural protaqonists.  There can't be anything more different than the characters of Diana and whatever-her-name Mary Sue of Twilight. 

I could not read the Twilight books or watch the Twilight movies.  I did read the three Harkness novels with mostly a great deal of pleasure and engagement.  Not all the parts and elements are equally good, but most of them are interesting, often unexpected, and the best parts are superb.  My favorite elements are Elizabethan London and the witch family's New England house.  The house itself is a character.

Discovery does start slow though, at least I thought so. It's only when they start time-traveling that it actually becomes interesting.  But all this first part was necessary for the set-up.

I think the first episode and certainly the trailers play it as a forbidden romance between a vampire and witch. In fairness there's a decent amount of world building with the vampires and the final scene reveal

that witches created vampires

suggested it's not just a romance. I think a double episode opener might have helped lay down more plot but I'll give the second episode a chance still.

30 minutes ago, red snow said:

I think the first episode and certainly the trailers play it as a forbidden romance between a vampire and witch. In fairness there's a decent amount of world building with the vampires and the final scene reveal

Hide contents

that witches created vampires

suggested it's not just a romance. I think a double episode opener might have helped lay down more plot but I'll give the second episode a chance still.

Well, that sure sounds different from the books,

Spoiler

getting to creation so quickly -- that's the shooting star of plot of all three books -- who / what created and who / what is destroying these supernaturals -- all the supernaturals.  Thus all the alchemy and science that plays such a role in the books.

Of course there's no rule at all that a screen version of something that is really good on the page won't be garbage.  Usually, certainly in the past, prior to peak tv (which we've left again, haven't we?), that the adaptation was garbage was rule.

I'm sorry to hear this because the books had everything to make great tv.  Lots of seasons of great tv.

11 hours ago, Zorral said:

Well, that sure sounds different from the books,

Reveal hidden contents

getting to creation so quickly -- that's the shooting star of plot of all three books -- who / what created and who / what is destroying these supernaturals -- all the supernaturals.  Thus all the alchemy and science that plays such a role in the books.

Of course there's no rule at all that a screen version of something that is really good on the page won't be garbage.  Usually, certainly in the past, prior to peak tv (which we've left again, haven't we?), that the adaptation was garbage was rule.

I'm sorry to hear this because the books had everything to make great tv.  Lots of seasons of great tv.

I'll update after watching another episode. The good news is that I have the ebook so can always give that a try if the TV show turns out to be lacking. I'm hoping the show is good as it's the same production company adapting "his dark materials" and potentially Bernard Cornwell's "king Arthur" series too.

Watched the first three episodes of "maniac". The world building is very interesting and while there are dark funny moments I'd say it's much more surreal than comedy as I've seen it described. I don't really have a clue what's going on but it's not frustrating and think/hope it becomes clearer as it goes along - a bit like "eternal sunshine on the spotless mind" did.

"Bodyguard" finale was incredibly tense with some good twists yet several silly moments/plot holes that can be overlooked thanks to dramatic tension.

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom isn't just bad, it's aggressively bad. It might actually be worse than the third movie. This is how I'd rank them:

Jurassic Park

The Lost World

Jurassic World

Jurassic Park Three

Fallen Kingdom.

Archived