Watch, Watched, Watching: That last thread... forget about it completely. It doesn't matter.

RedEyedGhost

2 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Looking for something to binge so I decided to give The Americans another try. I remember watching like 4 or 5 episodes when it first came on years ago but it just didn’t grab me for whatever reason. So many of you here that have similar taste as me seemed to have loved it though. Hope I can get into it this time. It and Mad Men are really the only highly regarded modern era shows I haven’t seen. 

I think you might enjoy it when binged as the show becomes more arc based mid season one instead of mission of the week.

I also need to get back onto mad men. I was mid season 2 and then it left one streaming service and while waiting for it to return on Netflix lost the impetus to keep watching. Really well made show but maybe lacks that one more episode feel. At least where I left it

6 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Watched loads of great films recently 

death of Stalin, Punch Drunk Love & I, Tonya

Punch Drunk Love is one of my favorite all-time movies.  Something about it just gets me.

On 8/10/2018 at 5:40 AM, briantw said:

Just re-watched Deadpool 2.  The Black Tom jokes get me every time.

"What's your super power?  Cultural appropriation?" 

The Vanisher might have been Jace's favorite superhero of all time.

On 8/12/2018 at 2:32 AM, Nictarion said:

Re-watched the director’s cut of Kingdom of Heaven for the first time in years. That version is damn near a masterpiece, imo. It’s absolutely criminal what the studio did to this movie for it’s theatrical release. Particularly to Eva Green’s character. I can’t think of too many examples of a movie being butchered worse (maybe OUaTiA). 

On 8/12/2018 at 3:12 AM, Isis said:

I have never seen the director's cut. I probably should. Been watching a lot of Templar stuff recently so now would be a good time. 

The Director's Cut of Kingdom of Heaven is fucking masterful. Seriously, This is Ridley Scott's last truly great production after Black Hawk Down, which is horrifically underappreciated for its genius deconstruction of about 12 great actors into replaceable jarheads you couldn't differentiate out of a lineup.

On 8/14/2018 at 10:49 AM, Mexal said:

Watched a bunch of movies over the weekend. Started with Deadpool 2 which I found to be funnier and more entertaining than the first. Saw the new Avengers and thought it was also pretty entertaining without being overwhelming. We also watched Moon which was incredibly well done. We then finished it up with Cube, which is a classic in its own right. Good weekend of movies.

Deadpool 2 is terrific, as I've suggested above. But Jace truly loved Infinity War. It just works, y'know. It really shouldn't.

It feels like the movie equivalent of a newly built house. Like a bunch of people who can more or less read a schematic just hammering shit together in a way that is stunningly appropriate to the audience.

Infinity War is like the hard hat, lunch pail equivalent of movies. Which you should appreciate, as a Vontez Burfict viewer.

It looks like your Humble Narrator is going to be watching a lot on the boobtube this weekend. Disenchanted just dropped on Netflix, and assuming it’s good, I’ll be binging it this weekend. It looks to be the same length as a season of Ricky and Morty. I’ll also be finally getting around to watching Infinity War, which I’ve been looking forward to for a while even though I know a lot of the spoiler points. After that I will be rewatching Murder on the Orient Express. I liked it the first time around, but I was too drunk to pay attention to the nuances of the film. Finally, if there is time, I’ll watch The Blues Brothers, the greatest musical ever made, in honor of the passing of The Queen of Soul. R.I.P. Aretha Franklin!

6 minutes ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

It looks like your Humble Narrator is going to be watching a lot on the boobtube this weekend. Disenchanted just dropped on Netflix, and assuming it’s good, I’ll be binging it this weekend. It looks to be the same length as a season of Ricky and Morty. I’ll also be finally getting around to watching Infinity War, which I’ve been looking forward to for a while even though I know a lot of the spoiler points. After that I will be rewatching Murder on the Orient Express. I liked it the first time around, but I was too drunk to pay attention to the nuances of the film. Finally, if there is time, I’ll watch The Blues Brothers, the greatest musical ever made, in honor of the passing of The Queen of Soul. R.I.P. Aretha Franklin!

JAce thought 'Murder on the Orient Express' was almost good, but ultimately kinda forgettable.

8 minutes ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

Great call and hell, I guess I do love a musical!

14 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

JAce thought 'Murder on the Orient Express' was almost good, but ultimately kinda forgettable.

JAce is evolving again. You’re only two letters away from your next form.

11 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Great call and hell, I guess I do love a musical!

Not a fan of South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut?

4 minutes ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

The Nail in the Coffin for 'South Park' was when those stupid libertarian fucktards decided not to cover Trump 'cause of being little pussie ass bitchess

5 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

The Nail in the Coffin for 'South Park' was when those stupid libertarian fucktards decided not to cover Trump 'cause of being little pussie ass bitchess

I haven’t really watched the show in over a decade, so I can’t speak to that. But that doesn’t change the fact that the movie was an all-time great musical and that the early years of the show were fantastic. I remember the first time I saw it at a sleep over when I was in the fifth grade.

1 hour ago, aceluby said:

Punch Drunk Love is one of my favorite all-time movies.  Something about it just gets me.

I really, really, reaaaaaaaaally LOVED it. The use of the ''He needs me'' song from Popeye; the way it feels like an old MGM musical without the songs. The anxiety inducing character angles and music to start off with that went reel you in and make you experience how drunk in love they are. The weird characters; the offbeat humour and behaviours. Loved it. 

3 hours ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

Not a big south park fan in general. Or Simpsons, Family Guy, name of animated show here ___________. 

I have seen more than a few South Park episodes and they were funny but I just don't gravitate to animated shows or movies for some reason, at least not since I was a kid watching Saturday mornings,He Man, GI Joe, Transformers, TMNT, Thunder Cats etc... !

Disenchantment is a bit slow with characters that aren't instantly likeable (but at least not irritating) beyond Matt Berry and John DiMaggio's characters (as much their voices as anything). There are a couple of clever moments each episode (the trick turning fairy) and a fair amount of background gags but it seems to be tiptoeing around rather than diving straight in. Harmonquest does a better job in terms of fantasy and it has a ways to go to hit Futurama. Good news is it seems to get better with each episode

Usually we have a Netflix/Amazon/Crackle/On demand show we watch along with whatever's in our rotation for those days when we're all caught up   ... we just finished "Pure" on Hulu... 6 episodes... and i gotta say it definitely had its moments... Now we've started watching Secret City on Netflix starring Anna Torv... who I would have bet my life was Cate Blanchett... they look exactly alike

2 hours ago, red snow said:

Disenchantment is a bit slow with characters that aren't instantly likeable (but at least not irritating) beyond Matt Berry and John DiMaggio's characters (as much their voices as anything). There are a couple of clever moments each episode (the trick turning fairy) and a fair amount of background gags but it seems to be tiptoeing around rather than diving straight in. Harmonquest does a better job in terms of fantasy and it has a ways to go to hit Futurama. Good news is it seems to get better with each episode

I'm finding it compares very poorly to Futurama. It's ok but nothing to write home about

7 hours ago, red snow said:

I had no idea this series was in the works. Just saw it when I logged onto Neflix and was like "This looks like Groening animation" and had to give it a try. Seen just the first episode, I liked it. It's like they took a beat off hanna barbera when The Flintstones were a hit they did the opposite with The Jetsons, Disenchantment being the flip side of the coin of Futurama

Yeah, it's not as good as Futurama but even that series took time to grow into its own and its great to have fresh episodes of a Groening cartoon that's not The Simpsons.

Also, obligatory to mention on this board, and GOT references are so prolific in pop culture these days, but still fun to see the Iron Throne.

23 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Rewatching Wedding Singer - my other favourite Adam Sandler movie - love this film. 

If this is on TV I find it almost impossible not to watch the whole thing.

Archived