Why hasn't there been a new Maestor at Castle black yet?

Varysblackfyre321

9 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

You think too low of the man. He's entrusted the management one of the Castle's to a bastard of no particular noble blood. Yes he grants special treatment to brothers with noble upbringing, brought on by his own prejudices, but the man probably doesn't think peasants can't learn to read. I contend the man is not imaginative enough to think of a reading program. I think such a thing could work; surely there is some literate man who could spare an hour or so a day, to teach some seemingly bright brothers to read-hell, you could offer up higher rations for participation. 

Eastwatch is a port if anything. They do what CB minus the initial training/recruitment of members. Pretty easy to hand over SOP to CB trained brothers as well as patrol schedules. An illiterate Ironborn with competency on open water is about as good a choice as anyone given you can support him with literate rangers, stewards, maesters, et al. 

As to why they didn't try to make their own maesters out of illiterate peasants, well it's kinda obvious. The maesters they have undergone decades of education, well beyond basic literacy and mathematics. They are recognized experts of several fields and have keep histories of the NW. They can't really be replaced because they themselves lack the qualities to make their own mini Citadel. They could and absolutely should be teaching men how to read and write, especially among the stewards. 

It's one of the biggest holes when people try to criticize Mormont for making Royce a small group leader. The kid is literate, schooled in arms, and educated in a litany of topics, as he is a son of the pre-eminent noble in the Reach. Mormont can barely muster 20 guys who can read, let alone schooled in military tactics and been riding since they could walk. Royce is an arrogant asshole but he's a capable asshole (Who was right basically the entire prologue). Thorne has done far worse and he's still the master at arms.  

Aemon is still strong, I mean come on he healed Jon's arrow wound even though he's blind, I didn't notice this until i reread it. and i believe there is a Maester at shadow tower and Eastwatch, the plan to restore the other castles is Jon's plan, and he mentioned that he will ask for more. 

On August 14, 2018 at 9:10 PM, Universal Sword Donor said:

It's one of the biggest holes when people try to criticize Mormont for making Royce a small group leader. The kid is literate, schooled in arms, and educated in a litany of topics, as he is a son of the pre-eminent noble in the Reach. Mormont can barely muster 20 guys who can read, let alone schooled in military tactics and been riding since they could walk. Royce is an arrogant asshole but he's a capable asshole (Who was right basically the entire prologue). Thorne has done far worse and he's still the master at arms.  

But he's the least experienced on actual rangings, Gared and Will were veterans who've been in and led dozens of these types of missions in their careers.

On August 14, 2018 at 9:10 PM, Universal Sword Donor said:

As to why they didn't try to make their own maesters out of illiterate peasants, well it's kinda obvious. The maesters they have undergone decades of education, well beyond basic literacy and mathematics. They are recognized experts of several fields and have keep histories of the NW. They can't really be replaced because they themselves lack the qualities to make their own mini Citadel. They could and absolutely should be teaching men how to read and write, especially among the stewards. 

Fair point.

On 8/9/2018 at 7:33 AM, Rufus Snow said:

The Citadel don't send out novices, only trained maesters, so any grey sheep that was sent would already be well sheared. But regarding Aemon in particular, this is what Marwyn said:

Marwyn doesn't strike me as very convincing. As you note, Aemon made the decision himself to go to the Watch so he wouldn't be a competing candidate for the Great Council (just as he'd earlier refused to be the King's maester). And of course Marwyn himself hasn't been sent to the Wall, but instead seems free to do as he pleases.

Archived