Similarities between our world and the World of Ice & Fire

kleevedge

Similarities between our world and the World of Ice & Fire

I wanted to open this thread to discuss the similarities between our world (Earth in case you forgot) and the World of Ice & Fire.

1.       Religion:

The Storm God, Drowned God, The Many Faced God, and Garth GreenhandI believe these God’s symbolize the Greek God’s; Zeus, Poseidon, Hades, and Gaia, Each ruling over their own dominion.

R’hllor and The Great Other – To me these resemble the ancient Egyptian God’s of Ra and Apep. Ra was the God of the Sun and Apep embodied evil, darkness, and destruction. These God’s were eternally at war as Apep could never be entirely vanquished.

Old Gods – These Gods resemble a Pagan religion, worshipping rock, stream, and wood. They also would perform blood sacrifices to the trees. Wicca, is a witchcraft branch of paganism which resembles the Children of the Forest.

Faith of the Seven – This is Catholicism….The High septon resembles The Pope. Seven Aspects of one god resembles the holy Trinity. The knights of Templar, also called the Poor Fellow soldiers of Christ sounds exactly like the poor fellows in the faith militant.

Black Goat of Qohor – Satanism, the Black Goat resembling Baphomet.

The Church of Starry Wisdom – Is a reference to a HP Lovecraft cult who worship Nyarlathotep but I don’t know if that’s considered a real world religion.

2.       Culture:

The Great Empire of the Dawn – This resembles the Chinese Dynasty. Both had Emperors who were considered as God’s. Both have a Jade emperor, though the Pearl emperor resembles the Chinese Jade emperor more. Tigers are popular in both cultures (I know that’s a weak one.)

The Andals – Seem a lot like the first European Colonists who came to America. Enforcing their religion on the local people and taking over the land. The Andals Faith and beliefs follow the same as the first colonies.

The First Men – Don’t have much on these but for some reason I think of them like slightly more advanced Neanderthals.

The Dothraki – These guys remind me of the Mongol Empire, conquerors on horseback.

The Valyrians – The Ancient Egyptians I feel fit the Valyrians best. Both built extravagant buildings and large empires. They both engrave a lot of their work with ancient runes and glyphs.

Old Emperor of Ghis – Seems a lot like Ancient Rome to me. The Fighting pits remind me of the Colosseum. Both were large in the slave trade, and had similar expansion goals.

The Ironborn – These dudes are Vikings

The Rhoynar – GRRM has stated he based them off of the Moors.

6 minutes ago, Brightstar_ said:

Well following your own argument The First Men should be more like Native Americans, considering they were invaded by the Andals who you compare to Europeans.

I was debating between the Native Americans and Neanderthals. They have similarities to both. I also debated whether Valyrians were more like Ancient Greeks or Egyptians but the latter seemed to fit better. This is still a fantasy though, just because the Andals raided the first men doesn't mean the first men's culture is like that of the Native Americans. It's not a direct copy of history, I just notice a lot of resemblances

Archived