Careerchat III

S John

On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 12:20 AM, Iskaral Pust said:

/snip

The recruiter called me an hour after I had finished today to let me know they want to offer me the role.  It does involve relocating back to the northeast, which I’ve been discussing these past few weeks with my wife.  She’s really on board. 

So nothing certain yet but I could be making a move soon.  

I'm so happy for you!  Another move is a PITA, but when you're in the heyday of your career, it's pretty much a given.  My husband and I moved more times than I can count.  One time we were in a house for approximately three months and we had to turn around, sell, and move again.  Luckily, we made money on the house (unusual,) which softened the pain a bit.  

My husband is from Connecticut.  It really is a beautiful area.  Damn cold, but you should be used to that in Chicago.  Best of luck!

Thanks @Tears of Lys, we’re debating whether we would lease initially or just buy right away.  A lease gives us a chance to get a better feel for the area before we commit, but it also means moving a second time two years later. 

I really thought we wouldn’t move again until after our son left for college, and then head south for warmer winters and lower taxes.  But when you make plans the Fates just laugh. 

On 8/31/2019 at 7:55 PM, Inigima said:

That's great news Isk, hope it works out well. They'd be lucky to have you. 

Thanks Ini.  I appreciate the positive thoughts from everyone.  We’re doing some research on houses and schools.  They’ve asked us to make a family trip out there soon for me to meet more people at the office and for us to do some tours around the neighborhood to get a feel for living there. 

My wife does not like traditional style architecture or decor at all — much, much preferring modern — but guess what predominates in the NE.  

Anyone ever work in a start up? Been having conversations with a start up (just got their Series B funding this year) about a possible role. The role is something I can do and the start up is solving a problem that I believe is a legitimate problem in companies today so that's all good but I worry about moving from corporate to start up after 12 years in the former. Also, I'm not against seizing an opportunity or taking a risk (most start ups fail) but my wife and I are talking about a family soon and this is obviously a big move. Still, I'm interested in the company cause I believe in what they do and just curious if anyone else has gone through similar thoughts. I need to get out of strategy consulting within the next 2 years so this is intriguing but wondering if I'm potentially stepping out of one frying pan into another.

So I was preempted by my boss today who called me into my office to say I’ve been given a raise, backdated 2 months. Great! Except it’s a raise of 2.5%, which is barely above inflation.

I acted pleased at the time but I’m rather disappointed, given that in a week or so’s time I was going to ask for a notably higher raise, which I do think I’m worth. I’m split between applying for another better paid job and then asking for a counter-offer, or just straight up telling my boss thanks but I’d want more than that and will be looking for other things if he can’t offer higher.

@Mexal My first job was at a more or less corporate environment and I moved to a start up after that, and have been working in start ups for a bit over five years now. I've quite enjoyed working at start ups, and I still do, but there are some challenges. It depends from the start up, but in my experience the worst part is when start up grows enough that it needs to convert to a bit more corporate structure. Some handle that exceptionally well and most of those turn into a success story, but some get into this chaotic state and they don't seem to know how to get through that stage. Also, one of the biggest challenges at that stage is that people who joined the start up early are being pushed up in kind of management roles, even when they are clearly not management material. 

As I said, start up experience can vary from start up to start up so my experience may end up with little relevance to your situation but if you have any specific questions, feel free to DM me and we can talk about it.

@Stannis Eats No Peaches I would suggest against applying for a better paying job in order to ask for a counter-offer. I have seen people get the counter-offer and take it only to regret it later. I have received a counter-offer a few times when changing jobs and always declined it. I remember reading an article a few years back how majority of the people who accept the counter-offer end up leaving the company within six months, one way or another.

In my case, I never left the company for money and the problems that made me want to change a job wouldn't be fixed by getting paid more.

1 hour ago, baxus said:

@Stannis Eats No Peaches I would suggest against applying for a better paying job in order to ask for a counter-offer. I have seen people get the counter-offer and take it only to regret it later. I have received a counter-offer a few times when changing jobs and always declined it. I remember reading an article a few years back how majority of the people who accept the counter-offer end up leaving the company within six months, one way or another.

In my case, I never left the company for money and the problems that made me want to change a job wouldn't be fixed by getting paid more.

That’s fair enough. I think I’ll just have an honest conversation about it after the weekend. I actually quite like the job and the company, and would be fine with this raise if I was in the same position as when I started a year ago, but given my relative seniority within the team and the fact that I could go elsewhere, as well as the fact that I know the company is doing very well, I just think it’s worth asking for more.

I'm hoping to get some advice, or even if someone could point me in the right direction would be great.

So, my company announced today an internal posting for 2 new management positions and I'm considering submitting my resume. I've been with the company for nearly 10 years now as an analyst, and I've felt the past few years that I've gotten as much out of that role as there is to get. I'm looking forward to taking on the dual client-facing and coworker support roles and I believe that I have a lot to offer the company.

I'd be overseeing a team of 6-8 analysts and another 10-12 coworkers dispersed across various support roles, along with being responsible for training all new hires for my team. I'd report to the senior manager and to the VP overseeing my team.

There are two issues however: 1) the company I work for has experienced a fair amount of turmoil over the past few years. We went through one round of mass layoffs at the beginning of the year a couple of years ago, and since then have lost all but a handful of our most experienced analysts and other coworkers because of increased workload in addition to shorter promised turnaround times. I think this is partly why the positions were created in fact. So I'm wondering whether my time and effort would be better spent searching for a new job than trying to win a promotion in this one.

Then 2) Our industry is a very new industry, having been started by my current company 25 years ago. It's also very insular, as nearly all of our competitors worked for my company at one time or another. On top of that, pay transparency in the industry is opaque. I've been trying to change that as much as possible, but I'm really at a loss as to figure out what the size and composition of the compensation package I negotiate for should be.

If any of this is helpful, our company provides due diligence land use, planning, zoning and development analysis for REIT and CMBS investors. I analyze and interpret zoning codes, research and review title history and determine compliance of existing or proposed developments to current code based upon various development restrictions, easement agreements, vested entitlements and discretionary approvals. My company has between 110-120 employees, but is a subsidiary of a much larger international capital investment firm. So given that I can't seem to find out any relevant salary information on places like glassdoor or LinkedIn, I'm wondering how to go about researching what an appropriate compensation ask would be. 

Thanks in advance for any advice.

19 hours ago, Stannis Eats No Peaches said:

So I was preempted by my boss today who called me into my office to say I’ve been given a raise, backdated 2 months. Great! Except it’s a raise of 2.5%, which is barely above inflation. 

I acted pleased at the time but I’m rather disappointed, given that in a week or so’s time I was going to ask for a notably higher raise, which I do think I’m worth. I’m split between applying for another better paid job and then asking for a counter-offer, or just straight up telling my boss thanks but I’d want more than that and will be looking for other things if he can’t offer higher. 

In my field at least, the advice is generally not to seek or take a counteroffer, because it paints a target on your back. If you get an offer you like somewhere else, just take it and put in your notice. Otherwise the company may just be buying themselves time to find your replacement.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/2/2019 at 6:34 PM, Iskaral Pust said:

Thanks Ini.  I appreciate the positive thoughts from everyone.  We’re doing some research on houses and schools.  They’ve asked us to make a family trip out there soon for me to meet more people at the office and for us to do some tours around the neighborhood to get a feel for living there. 

My wife does not like traditional style architecture or decor at all — much, much preferring modern — but guess what predominates in the NE.  

We did our family trip just over a week ago.  It was very busy and tiring but we made progress on all fronts: further exploring the job, finding a new home, checking out a new school for our son.  This is getting very real.  We'll go back for another trip soon to agree final terms, revisit our shortlist of new homes, and have our son spend a day at the new school.  And now we're listing our condo for sale in preparation for a move.  Lots to juggle still but it's coming together very quickly.

I don't usually post in this thread but now I am retired from work. I have been working as a millwright for over 30 years solving problems for people that sometimes did not know or care that they had a problem with their equipment or machinery. Working as a union rep in my workplace gave me another insight into corporate culture and a whole new level of problem solving to deal  with. Bad managers can screw things up in so many ways.One thing I did notice that if someone does not understand the process for making whatever widget needs to be made, they also tend not to have much insight into dealing with the workers tasked with making those widgets. And yet, there they are, telling people who know and understand more than them, how to do what needs to be done.

If there is one lesson I have learned from my working life it is that social status has no correlation with competence. At times I have suspected that if there is a correlation the correlation may be negative.

I need some advice on a serious matter.

But first, I need to know...if someone were to ask for some advice on a message board about how to handle potentially explosive revelations at that person's company, could that message board post possibly be detrimental to possible future legal proceedings?

12 hours ago, The Great Unwashed said:

But first, I need to know...if someone were to ask for some advice on a message board about how to handle potentially explosive revelations at that person's company, could that message board post possibly be detrimental to possible future legal proceedings?

Sounds like you should direct that question to an attorney in your legal jurisdiction.  It’s very difficult to say what might be damaging to future legal proceedings without knowing what they will be, the applicable laws, the legal strategy, etc.  If you are this serious about it then talk to an attorney first.

If you are going to post about it, then definitely keep it anonymous, and not enough specifics for anyone to connect your post to the actual situation.  It’s not easy to search the entire internet for random connections unless people know you post here.

12 hours ago, The Great Unwashed said:

Very possibly, depending what it is. For example don't admit here any knowledge that a crime might have been committed.

You might want to search Stack Exchange to see if there is anything relevant to your issue there. 

4 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Sounds like you should direct that question to an attorney in your legal jurisdiction.  It’s very difficult to say what might be damaging to future legal proceedings without knowing what they will be, the applicable laws, the legal strategy, etc.  If you are this serious about it then talk to an attorney first.

If you are going to post about it, then definitely keep it anonymous, and not enough specifics for anyone to connect your post to the actual situation.  It’s not easy to search the entire internet for random connections unless people know you post here.

Awesome, thanks so much Isk and @A wilding. I don't think anyone I work with knows I post here, but going to play it safe just the same.

I've contacted a lawyer and am just waiting to hear back.

18 hours ago, The Great Unwashed said:

I doubt it, but be vague and make it sound hypothetical. Let's see what the fine people at Westeros LLC think: 

@Mlle. Zabzie 

@Ser Scot A Ellison

@sologdin

IANAL, but in the past postings on this board have been used in a variety of legal discoveries for all manner of things. This is a publicly accessible, viewable forum and your privacy is not legally guaranteed, and it can be used against you both professionally and legally. 

20 hours ago, The Great Unwashed said:

In short, yes.  This is a public message board and this information would be discoverable.

Archived