The danger of Gerold Dayne

Son of Man

5 hours ago, Sire de Maletroit said:

Didn't Baelor have the same hair color pattern?  He was part Dornish.  

I don’t believe it was Baelor. I think so far it’s Elaena, Aerion and Valarr. Elaena and Aerion seem to have the sliver and gold. However Valarr had brown hair with a silver gold streak and Gerold has silver hair with a black streak.

18 hours ago, Crona said:

I don’t believe it was Baelor. I think so far it’s Elaena, Aerion and Valarr. Elaena and Aerion seem to have the sliver and gold. However Valarr had brown hair with a silver gold streak and Gerold has silver hair with a black streak.

Prince Baelor, son and heir of Daeron II and Mariah Martell, had dark hair like his mother.

47 minutes ago, Euron III Greyjoy said:

I don't know. Until it gets confirmed, I just refuse to believe that Gerold Dayne is known as "the most dangerous man in Dorne" simply because of his skill with a sword. 

This is a good example of people taking a phrase and extrapolating it well beyond any reasonable explanation for what it meant Though I don't believe Darkstar's personal skill with a sword has been made explicitly clear, we know from Arianne's thoughts that she believes him capable of wiping out the Yronwoods.

Once I crown Myrcella and free the Sand Snakes, all Dorne will rally to my banners. The Yronwoods might declare for Quentyn, but alone they were no threat. If they went over to Tommen and the Lannisters, she would have Darkstar destroy them root and branch.

- AFFC: The Queenmaker

There is more to being dangerous than skill with a sword. Tywin Lannister was one of the most dangerous men in Westeros, with no hint that he was among the most skilled men with a sword.

The fact is, Dorne is a powder keg that Doran is barely holding together, and the plots he has laid depend on maintaining the status quo for the time being. Darkstar is not only an able and willing killer, but one who will not hesitate to throw Dorne into chaos to destroy the peace between Dorne and the Iron Throne.

He's from House Red-Herring, so *cynicism goggles on* i'm not expecting too much of a payout. 

A.) He's a highly skilled swordsman, cruel enough to kill an innocent girl, reckless enough to throw Dorne into war, and charismatic enough to gain some supporters from the people pissed off about Oberyn. Thus, dangerous.

B.) He's working for somebody, is somebody, or knows something...(Okay saying it like that, Darkstar is pretty freaking mysterious)

Now while I admittedly don't know why Gerold Dayne was being referred to as 'most dangerous man in Dorne' by Doran - one possibility I am keeping in mind is that it may simply be a bit of the 'ice on a raft' effect GRRM mentioned in one of his interviews.

http://flavorwire.com/484941/my-editors-head-exploded-george-r-r-martin-on-a-world-of-ice-and-fire-and-what-makes-him-different-from-tolkien-at-92y

GRRM compares The Lord of the Rings and Ice and Fire and mentions that while Tolkien had so much background to his story that it was like an iceberg - 90% hidden below the water and only 10% revealed in the story - Ice and Fire started out more like 'ice on a raft'. (Meaning that Ice and Fire pretended to have a lot of story hidden below the water but hadn't originally. Yeah, Martin has expanded on the background but that developed parallel to the story and wasn't there originally.)

So the mundane explanation for Gerold Dayne's supposed dangerousness may simply be it was a throwaway line by Doran to give texture to the story with not much backstory behind it really.

That'd be a bit disappointing I know. But not impossible.

I also can't shake the feeling that Gerold Dayne aka Darkstar is a reference to the Carpenter Sci-Fi movie Dark Star. Maybe GRRM is a fan of that movie. It is pretty cool after all. And it did have a bad ending with the Dark Star blowing up after a philosophical discourse going wrong. Maybe that's what gave him the idea that Darkstar must be dangerous.

The man is a reverick and a manogade, a loose cannon, a dirty Knight who lives on the edge, hair so epic one colour isn’t enough. I heard he even smokes indoors

Also 69 replies before me heheheh

19 minutes ago, Platypus Rex said:

He meant to start a war.  And he has succeeded.   Myrcella is dead, and Myrcella's death means war. 

Myrcella is not dead.

Balon Swann was at court in KL for years. He was in the party that put her on the boat to Dorne. He would recognize Myrcella. There is no way Doran could pass off a fake Myrcella on Swann.

1 minute ago, Ser Leftwich said:

Myrcella is not dead.

Balon Swann was at court in KL for years. He was in the party that put her on the boat to Dorne. He would recognize Myrcella. There is no way Doran could pass off a fake Myrcella on Swann.

Of course Rosamund could fool Balon Swann.  Arys Oakheart, who knows her much better than Balon was, said he disguise was almost good enough to fool even him.  And that was without the bandages.

Balon has seen Myrcella before, but he does not know her WELL.  That's exactly the situation that a decoy like Myrcella is for.  If not to fool such people, Rosamund would not need to resemble Myrcella AT ALL.  There would be no need for the Lannister heritage and family resemblance.  Any little girl with blond hair would do.   And Balon has not seen Myrcella for a whole year.  Everyone expects kids to look different, when you do not see them for a year.

Archived