Mance Rayder's background story?

32 minutes ago, Prince Yourwetdream Aeryn said:

Did GRRM hint that there will be more information  about Mance Rayder's background  in future books?

We have his back story. Here, you can read this so you don't have to read the parts of the actual series where he is talked about 
https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Mance_Rayder

• 2 weeks later...

I have read some stuff that argues Mance is Arthur Dayne - I don't have the quote at hand. Something along the lines of "our knees do not bend easily". Either way it would make things crazy awesome with such a twist. Would add so much to the prophecy prep. If I can find the thread I will post the link.

On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 8:35 PM, The Sunland Lord said:

Mance is Rhaegar.

He looks nothing like...

...actually, I can't be bothered.

21 minutes ago, Legitimate_Bastard said:

I have read some stuff that argues Mance is Arthur Dayne

Not in the actual books you haven't.

On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 9:14 PM, Dorian Martell's son said:

We have his back story. Here, you can read this so you don't have to read the parts of the actual series where he is talked about 
https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Mance_Rayder

This.

Mance’s backstory is actually one of the fullest and most detailed we have for a secondary character. He and Quorin between them tell us the story of his birth, how he was raised, what his motivations are, why he defected and how and why he became King Beyond the Wall.

Yeah I agree - to claim a massive NW conspiracy to hide Mance's true identity is mega far fetched. I just can't get enough tinfoil - so interesting to read all these crackpot ideas people come up with.  It would be cool if it was true - but he is not George R R Shyamalan. LOL

13 hours ago, Shouldve Taken The Black said:

Fair enough. The theory doesn’t add up though, as Mance has been at the Wall since he was a baby.

Wait, we don't know that he was a baby. In fact, that's very unlikely, with no women at the wall to care for a baby, and even more unlikely if he was, in fact, with a group of raiders (as per the text). Squirrel (an excellent climber) was taken on her first raid at 12. Even allowing for Mance possibly being much larger and stronger, he probably couldn't have been under 10.

It would seem that Selyse could have true (if vague) information. If the NW simply didn't want to kill a child, why not just let him go north of the wall to be taken in by other wildlings?... OTOH, if Mance was known to be the son of a NW brother, taking in a young boy makes more sense ... Well, not so much if the father was just any brother ("father no children") but if the was of high status...

This brings me to my theory, that he was the son of LC Qorgyll. That puts the question in a different light . He'd be in a position to bend the rules, without openly flouting them. Not to make the connection too obvious, it would make sense to assign Mance to a different Fort.

What we need to know about his past is this.  A young Mance Rayder regularly left the wall for some R & R.  We know he was never good at following rules.  He met the daughter of Rickard Stark and got her pregnant.  A modern day Bael the Bard putting a child in the belly of the daughter of winterfell.

12 hours ago, Sire de Maletroit said:

What we need to know about his past is this.  A young Mance Rayder regularly left the wall for some R & R.  We know he was never good at following rules.  He met the daughter of Rickard Stark and got her pregnant.  A modern day Bael the Bard putting a child in the belly of the daughter of winterfell.

:rofl:

On 8/28/2018 at 10:38 PM, Sire de Maletroit said:

I like it. 

On 8/28/2018 at 8:31 AM, Shouldve Taken The Black said:

This.

Mance’s backstory is actually one of the fullest and most detailed we have for a secondary character. He and Quorin between them tell us the story of his birth, how he was raised, what his motivations are, why he defected and how and why he became King Beyond the Wall.

Absolutely. Though I do like to think the woman emerging from the pool in Bran's vision is Mance's mother, taken into Winterfell (as was Osha), then escaping, Wall-bound, with her kiddo and an ambition to avenge something. Clearly not fleshed out, but only a few characters can fall into that birth timeline, provided Bran's visions are reverse-chronological.

It seems as though Mance's history is pretty much hearsay prior to his visit to Winterfell some 12-15 years prior to current events, at which point he would have been 30ish?

Not meaning to go all tinfoil, but I don't necessarily trust the stories.  An orphan raised at the wall doesn't gain the skill set Mance Rayder has.  If that were the case, every orphan in Flea Bottom should have been sent to the Wall to get the same education and training.

59 minutes ago, Asshai Backward said:

It seems as though Mance's history is pretty much hearsay prior to his visit to Winterfell some 12-15 years prior to current events, at which point he would have been 30ish?

Not meaning to go all tinfoil, but I don't necessarily trust the stories.  An orphan raised at the wall doesn't gain the skill set Mance Rayder has.  If that were the case, every orphan in Flea Bottom should have been sent to the Wall to get the same education and training.

His skill set is breaking regulations.  He's a song and dance man.  Those skills he can use to pass off as Abel the bard.  The wall is not hard to leave from.  Mance only need to make sure he got back in time before he was missed.  He was probably sleeping with the girls all over the north while he was supposed to be scouting on the other side.  

On 8/28/2018 at 5:07 AM, Legitimate_Bastard said:

I have read some stuff that argues Mance is Arthur Dayne - I don't have the quote at hand. Something along the lines of "our knees do not bend easily". Either way it would make things crazy awesome with such a twist. Would add so much to the prophecy prep. If I can find the thread I will post the link. 

Mance did ask to use a 2handed greatsword when he fought Jon, glamoured as rattleshirt, Dawn was a 2handed greatsword. He literally whooped the shit out of Jon effortlessly and bested the Magnar of Thenn 3 times, proving himself one of the most capable fighters in the north. Tormund reminds me a lot of the white bull, and also seems to have a lot of knowledge from south of the wall as well. Maybe the fight didn't go down as we think it did.

27 minutes ago, kleevedge said:

Mance did ask to use a 2handed greatsword when he fought Jon, glamoured as rattleshirt, Dawn was a 2handed greatsword. He literally whooped the shit out of Jon effortlessly and bested the Magnar of Thenn 3 times, proving himself one of the most capable fighters in the north. Tormund reminds me a lot of the white bull, and also seems to have a lot of knowledge from south of the wall as well. Maybe the fight didn't go down as we think it did.

A Dornishman and an Oldtowner arrive north of the wall- one in their middle ages, one past their prime- presumably for the first time in their lives would probably freeze to death before their first real winter, not instantly become respectes leaders of a very different and unique culture, with legendary backstories (one a deserter/bard, and one a bear-fucker).

6 hours ago, Asshai Backward said:

It's not hearsay, no-one questions the established story that he was raised at the Wall. Unless you think Denys Mallister and Quorin Halfhand are in on it too?

Archived