Stuck in my ways and fine with it!

BigFatCoward

After being mocked mercilessly by my wife because I recently bought my favourite trainers in 5 different colour schemes I just wondered if anybody else was as set in their ways about other trivial shit?  I maintain that they only get released every couple of years so spending £400 on them is irrelevant as they will last me to the next release, she maintains that i'm a boring dickhead who should try new things. 

I don't want to try new trainers though, they fit my feet really well. 

It must be such a bind to be young and give a shit what people think about what you wear. 

I have two pairs of unworn Ecco sandals, same colour waiting under the stairs for this pair to break (I walk the dog in them). I have 2 styles of dress in 5 patterns/colours. I am the wrong person to ask.

I only possess 5 pairs of shoes total - including wellies.
Only two years (aged 40) I was forced to throw out my old school rugby shirt as it had gotten too holey even for DIY/Painting. I'm still allowed the Uni one, it just... doesn't fit quite as well as it used to.

4 hours ago, ljkeane said:

Is this a thinly veiled 'I've got five different colours of trainers' bragging thread?

If I was extravagant to wear them all simultaneously maybe. I wear one to death then break open the next one. 

15 minutes ago, The EnglishBear said:

I know a guy who had a 'For Life' pair of DM's, every time they wear out he gets sent a new pair. It sounds perfect. If you've found something that works for you: go with it, shoe shopping is a special kind of hell.

I was always like that. I live in DMs. Had boots since I was 16 and more something a bit more professional I have my black doc marten shoes. 

But this summer I’ve actually been wearing...sandles...and little tennis shoes :o dunno what’s happening to me. As soon as winter hits I’ll be back in my beloved DMs

10 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

After being mocked mercilessly by my wife because I recently bought my favourite trainers in 5 different colour schemes I just wondered if anybody else was as set in their ways about other trivial shit?  I maintain that they only get released every couple of years so spending £400 on them is irrelevant as they will last me to the next release, she maintains that i'm a boring dickhead who should try new things. 

I don't want to try new trainers though, they fit my feet really well. 

It must be such a bind to be young and give a shit what people think about what you wear. 

Two years ago, in a single day I bought two pair of trainers with blueyish/greyish colours and a touch of orange in them and the shoelaces of both are also orange. They look very similar but I just happen to like orange. Oh well, and recently I bought a third one in black.....and a touch of orange.

I could say similar things for similar style surf T-shirts and tops.

It is healthy to be in a "rut" about daily things, so then you can be spontaneous and have more energy to indulge/take risks in the things that matter.   People have a limited amount of energy to make decision and each decision chips away at it, by establishing patterns for trivial matters, you are freeing up energy for more important things. 

3 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

I was always like that. I live in DMs. Had boots since I was 16 and more something a bit more professional I have my black doc marten shoes. 

But this summer I’ve actually been wearing...sandles...and little tennis shoes :o dunno what’s happening to me. As soon as winter hits I’ll be back in my beloved DMs

You’ve sold out. It’s okay, it happens, it just means the part of you that cared has died.

2 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

I mean i don’t know if I’d quite go THAT far :lol: I still own four pairs of DMs

Every Saturday you see me window shopping
Find no interest in the racks and shelves
Just a thousand reflections of my own sweet self...

:)

I used to be sambas in black only. I would wear a pair to death then pull out a fresh pair.

then chaos!!! I now own a dozen or so Adidas in various colors,  materials and models. 

getting dressed is fun! I can pull out a different pair to compliment whatever i am wearing!

Five colors? I only own 2 pairs of tennis shoes, and they're both black. One is the old pair, and the other is the new pair. When the new pair gets too worn out the old set gets thrown away and the cycle continues as a newer pair is bought. (usually a 3 year turnaround)

Jeebus. What am I, a peasant?

13 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

I buy only work shoes, only in black. Last time I went crazy and spent ten dollars extra. It is okay, I am a perfect slave of Capitalism.

I'm fortunate that work buys me black shoes each year, but I buy the brown shoes.  

So I essentially own two pairs of dress shoes and I have one pair of gym shoes.  It drives my wife crazy that I refuse to spend more than 25 to 30 bucks for gym shoes, of which I usually only buy a pair every two to three years...I'm constantly looking for sales or deals when it's time to buy...

9 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Five colors? I only own 2 pairs of tennis shoes, and they're both black. One is the old pair, and the other is the new pair. When the new pair gets too worn out the old set gets thrown away and the cycle continues as a newer pair is bought. (usually a 3 year turnaround)

Jeebus. What am I, a peasant?

I only wear 1 pair at a time if that helps. And I wear them to death. 

My total footwear collection. 1 pair for work, 1 pair of smart, 1 pair of gym, 1 pair (unboxed) walking around trainers, 1 pair walking boots. 

Same with jeans. I buy one pair every few years and wear them everyday until they are beyond acceptable. 

I also have a roast chicken sandwich everyday at work. Jesus I'm dull. 

Archived