Will the Riverlands ever be truly united?

honorable men

Feels like every house that somehow ruled the lands have vanished or fallen off their high horse:

Mudd, Justman, Teague, Hooks, House Durrandon, House Hoare, Tully & Stark. I know I'm forgetting a couple but that's no coincidence. I think the solution but not be with the faith of 7 but a house that follows ToG located right at the God's Fort. Old Stones is a ruin, parts of Harrenhal is a ruin. 

But maybe the Riverlands will be better off split apart and attached to neighboring kingdoms or if the Iron Throne directly rules over it.

I always found it strange that Aegon built his new capital at the blackwater rush and left Harrenhal (biggest castle) and the Riverlands  with his unique position and fertile lands to aid the Capital just in case the other kingdoms were causing trouble... 

Thoughts?

The Riverlands are in a sort of similar place to Germany/Poland in European history.

That is to say a big central location without natural defences for other armies to fight, plunder and resupply. Splitting it wouldn't stop that problem.

The Riverlands best hope is to belong to a strong centralized state that also controls at least The Vale, Westerland, Crownlands, Iron Islands and Reach. Hopefully the centralized state would stopp civil war and those borders would make it so invaders would have to march through other lands to reach the Riverlands.

Aegon might have done something with Harrenhal if it wasn't a burnt ruin. Aegon couldn't add all of the Riverland to the Crownlands for the simple reason that it would be too much to directly rule from his capital.

2 hours ago, Ylath's Snout said:

The Riverlands are in a sort of similar place to Germany/Poland in European history.

That is to say a big central location without natural defences for other armies to fight, plunder and resupply. Splitting it wouldn't stop that problem.

The Riverlands best hope is to belong to a strong centralized state that also controls at least The Vale, Westerland, Crownlands, Iron Islands and Reach. Hopefully the centralized state would stopp civil war and those borders would make it so invaders would have to march through other lands to reach the Riverlands.

Aegon might have done something with Harrenhal if it wasn't a burnt ruin. Aegon couldn't add all of the Riverland to the Crownlands for the simple reason that it would be too much to directly rule from his capital.

The Riverlands was never united unless it was by foreign invaders. The Riverlander inner fighting haven't been squashed since history. 

You know what would be a awesome stronghold to stop civil war from all sides?

Harrenhal.

Harrenhal isn't just a burnt ruin, its a stronghold with good income. There is a reason why every time a civil war breaks out, that everyone wants to go grab the castle.

The Upkeep and repairments shouldn't be passed onto just some average house. Its not much of award. Thats why the crown should have it and oversee its reconstruction. 

1 hour ago, Canon Claude said:

If the Targaryens could build Dragonstone,  you’d think they could have rebuilt Harrenhal in the same sort of style.

Could be that Dragonstone was built with blood magic or something else that would harm Targ PR if it was common knowledge. 

I think RLs indefensiveness and geography are to blame.

As stated above, it has no natural borders, and has the disadvsntage of being the middle child to the North, Vale, Westerlands, Reach and Stormlands. 

It's an easy target for Ironborn, too.

I have a sneaky suspicion that Harrenhal really is cursed. Like the Wall is supposedly a place where magic is stronger, possibly whatever sacrifice the CotF did at the God's Eye ruined the location for good.

Archived