On the sacrife of children on the north and the wall.

Ser Loras The Gay

I want to talk about a subject that sometimes is not that much discussed here. Why the night watchers turn a blind eye to the sacrife of children both historically (with the night's king on the nightfort) and in the present with Craster's sacrife of children (Mormont was aware of the sacrifice as Jon points out and does nothing to stop him). I want to discuss the reasons the night's watch does this and how the northen houses seems to not care that much either, there's no way no word of some of the sacrificies weren't told to any house at some point in history or today on our history. I want to point out some of the reasons they might be on some sort of agreement with those sacrificies and at some points even helped out with them.

1. The night's watch are trying to send little children to the others.

I know that sounds absurd, why on earth the night's watch would help the others with children to become more wights or more others? I can't speculate much about their reasons with facts, but it's a littlle strange why they seem okay with the actions of Craster, and why they took so long to stop the night's king when he was doing something similar. We know for sure, Craster is sacrificing children to the Others, he said so himself, but why? To protect him? To protect the wall? Because he wants the others to win? What's his goals with this? But we know he's sending a very special kind of children, children born in incest with some genetics deficiences and that could be important to analyse why he's doing it.

2. The night's watch is trying to sabotage the others with inbreed children.

Like stated before, the night's watch is aware of the sacrifice, but, this might be for good reason. The night's watch actions could be to weakening the other's forces. Why is that? We know that some houses has special genetics that grants them special powers, more notable the stark's children and some widlings like veramir six skins and others. Now some leaps in logic, IF, the others are telepatics like those citated above, they'd need very specific children to keep the telepatic abilities going over time. So, knowing that the night's watch keeps the sacrifice with Craster because thay KNOW that craster is sending children with no genetic proponent to be telepatics, and so, they're getting uselles children to use to increase their forces.

These are the only reasonable reasons for the night's watch innaction towards the children sacrifice, you guys are free to object to what I said and come up with more reasons they might be doing this. I always up to debate, because no one is right here, only our god George r.r Martin, and I need to talk about the books until the new one is ready.

The answer is simple.  What happens on the other side of the wall doesn't concern the kingom.  The kingdom and the wall have troubles of their own without worrying what the Wildlings do on the other side.  What Craster does is not Mormont's business.  

Craster is paying for the right to live as he likes.  The Others leave him alone as long as he pays.  I don't agree with Preston Jacobs and his conspiracy theory of a master plan to sabotage the Others with the babies.  Craster was sacrificing in good faith.  So we have to ask.  Why let Craster live in peace and not Mance Rayder's people?  There are Wildlings who will give their babies in exchange to be left alone.  Why did the Night's Queen choose as her mate a Lord commander who was a Stark?  There was something the Others valued in their blood.  Stark blood.  Craster is related to the Starks.  

I wasn't aware of the PJ video about it. I may have to watch that. Do you think Craster has stark blood? If so why do the others want stark blood? To make more powerful telepaths? But yeah, I mean, why they can't reach a agreement with the others like Craster did? Something is up, and the night's watch knows about it and even have a strange as fuck portal at nightfort, why that portal is shaped the way he is? And why waste "magical" power to activate the door like that? 

24 minutes ago, Moiraine Sedai said:

The answer is simple.  What happens on the other side of the wall doesn't concern the kingom.  The kingdom and the wall have troubles of their own without worrying what the Wildlings do on the other side.  What Craster does is not Mormont's business.  

Craster is paying for the right to live as he likes.  The Others leave him alone as long as he pays.  I don't agree with Preston Jacobs and his conspiracy theory of a master plan to sabotage the Others with the babies.  Craster was sacrificing in good faith.  So we have to ask.  Why let Craster live in peace and not Mance Rayder's people?  There are Wildlings who will give their babies in exchange to be left alone.  Why did the Night's Queen choose as her mate a Lord commander who was a Stark?  There was something the Others valued in their blood.  Stark blood.  Craster is related to the Starks.  

I hate it when PJ busts out gene charts to explain shit, and it's more infuriating if any of that turns out to be true. 

But GRRM does talk a lot about genetics from a midieval POV. PJ might be right. They can't all be secret Starks and Targs!

I really don't know how Craster can be a stark in disguise. But the argument that the wall isn't concern with what happens to the widlings makes sense. They shouldn't be concern, but no one else knows about it? There isn't one single house that doesn't found those actions reprehensible? No one likes what the night's king did, so why it's okay when Craster does it? Just because isn't on the boundaries of the kingdom? That's it? Just that?

Long held traditions/beliefs, die slowly. Pretty sure the babies die quickly out in the wilderness. Unless they suck the life force out of the baby. I don't think they could be turned. 

Why babies don't have to be of special blood? because you are literally sacrificing your own baby, something that someone should hold near and dearly to your heart. 

I dont believe Craster is a secret Targ/Stark, but his sacrifices are pretty much a big middle finger to all normal gods and religions and social norms but continuing to have incest after incest and further incest-ing is what gives the others "Strength" or "juju magic" or whatever

The fact that it took the Starks (and their Nothern Bannerman), a king beyond the wall and the Watch to take down the Night King is a pretty good explanation for why the Watch wasn’t capable of taking down the Night King alone, thus stopping the children sacrifices. 

@Ser Loras The Gay

there’s is too much 13 imagery surrounding the North in these legends, such as being the 13th LC, the 13 year reign and the LH with his 12 was companions, to take it purely as fact/at face value. 

I do like your theory though, but wouldn’t Mormont/Qorin be aware of the Others if they intentionally let Craster sacrifice inbreds to them? 

11 minutes ago, Davjos said:

@Ser Loras The Gay

there’s is too much 13 imagery surrounding the North in these legends, such as being the 13th LC, the 13 year reign and the LH with his 12 was companions, to take it purely as fact/at face value. 

I do like your theory though, but wouldn’t Mormont/Qorin be aware of the Others if they intentionally let Craster sacrifice inbreds to them? 

Maybe it's just that thing with some policies in the real world "the guy that was here in the past did this, so let it be" because mormont knew that Craster did that. He said it was Craster way of living, but in reality he doesn't know for sure (like no one does) why he does it. Maybe Craster has a more moral motive to do that, but we simply don't know.

The Nights Watch sends rangers into the north to track down raiders who cross the wall and commit crimes in the southern realms, but they do not enforce the king's peace north of the wall. So Craster is free to worship any gods he likes in any manner he likes as long as he does not threaten the 7K in any way. Craster is also a friend to the Watch, giving crucial support to rangers and vital information on Mance Rayder and his movements.

And as Mormont says:

"The wide world is full of people wanting help, Jon. Would that some could find the courage to help themselves. Craster sprawls in his loft even now, stinking of wine and lost to sense. On his board below lies a sharp new axe. Were it me, I'd name it 'Answered Prayer' and make an end."

So I don't see enough to conclude that the Watch has some secret plan to weaken the Others through Craster. They just don't have jurisdiction over him, and they are not willing to give up a valuable, life-saving asset to enforce their own sense of morality.

13 minutes ago, John Suburbs said:

So I don't see enough to conclude that the Watch has some secret plan to weaken the Others through Craster. They just don't have jurisdiction over him, and they are not willing to give up a valuable, life-saving asset to enforce their own sense of morality.

Yeah, like I said, there are more reasons, I feel something odd about some of the things that happened long ago at the wall and the symbolism with the number 13 and shit generally mean to look deeper at what it's written, but you could be right, they could simply not give a shit and think that Craster has more value than their morals.

6 hours ago, Ser Loras The Gay said:

I really don't know how Craster can be a stark in disguise. But the argument that the wall isn't concern with what happens to the widlings makes sense. They shouldn't be concern, but no one else knows about it? There isn't one single house that doesn't found those actions reprehensible? No one likes what the night's king did, so why it's okay when Craster does it? Just because isn't on the boundaries of the kingdom? That's it? Just that?

Lothar Frey released a topic last year.  The post claim Craster has Stark blood.  The Others need some means to control their animated dead.  That's like skinchanging on steroids.  Controlling not one but entire armies of the dead.  That is some kind of powerful control.  There must have been an exchange of DNA in the ancient past between the Others and the Starks.  The Starks got a tiny trickle of that power from them and from the warg king.  Craster also carrying this DNA make him useful to the Others, who may have lost the ability to reproduce when they lost their women.  

Archived