US politics: No sub rosa Omarosa

IheartIheartTesla

3 hours ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

unhinged White House

That’s not fair. Sure, they systematize child abuse along racial lines, wallow in corruption and incompetence, and lie as they breathe. But isn’t calling people racist when they are racist or terrible when they are terrible equally as bad? ‘Unhinged’! Such extremist language only coarsens the discourse.

So, is this now a liar's version of a Mexican standoff, or Trumpian standoff?

Reknown liars are now telling (presumably) lies about each other and accusing each other of lying? 

I mean, Orange Twitler is correct, Omarosa is an attentionseeker, who tries make money out of her WH experience, that said, Twitler himself is exactly that. Omarosa is right, Orange Twitler is racist (duh), so what does that say about her as a person of colour happily joining him?

Somehow Cohen (!!!) ended up as the least untrustworthy, when thrown into the mix with the aforementioned two, and so he gets asked to verify some of Omarosa's bits... This is truely absurd, or it would be, then you remember this is still about the President of the US, and not some trashy c-movie produced by some highschool kids who found daddy's booze and decided to write and film, of what they perceive as political comedy.

Part of me hopes space force involves a prison colony on Mars run by Elon Musk, as a place to send the political actors in charge of the US atm.

Trump is blow a gasket on Twitter. Forget acting presidential, this clown can’t even act like a functioning adult. I still think one of the funniest things about this Administrations is when Melania Trump said she was going to champion combating cyber bullying.

Great work so far, FLOTUS!

Just now, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Trump's going  to be pardon him.  Failing that, he'll commute his sentence.  Trump fanatics will rejoice.  Congress will do nothing.

It's certainly possible. If Congress switches hands, they may do something.

8 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Paul Manafort case moves to jury deliberations. Defense rested without presenting a case.

And here I was hoping we might get to see Manafort's mother testify on what a good boy he is!

1 minute ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Ballsy.  That means they will argue the State proved nothing.

Yea, that looks to be the move in closing argument. These will happen tomorrow at 9:30am and each side is allocated 2 hours.

Thinking about the pardon, not sure that helps him much. He'd be admitting guilty, forfeiting 5th amendment protection and would still be liable at a state level since all the tax fraud would likely be applicable there too.

5 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Paul Manafort case moves to jury deliberations. Defense rested without presenting a case.

What defense is there really? The paper trail is pretty damning, as were the testimonies of the money people who handled the paper work. The defense’s only hope is to get one juror to waiver and believe Gates lied and therefore they can’t say without a doubt that Manafort is guilty. What has confused me though is the judge. By all accounts he’s been incredibly hostile to the prosecutors. I can’t recall hearing a case like that though I guess I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s not all that uncommon.

Just now, Mexal said:

Yea, that looks to be the move in closing argument.

Thinking about the pardon, not sure that helps him much. He'd be admitting guilty, forfeiting 5th amendment protection and would still be liable at a state level since all the tax fraud would likely be applicable there too.

Yup.  Trump getting pardon happy could end up hurting him.

Just now, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

What defense is there really? The paper trail is pretty damning, as were the testimonies of the money people who handled the paper work. The defense’s only hope is to get one juror to waiver and believe Gates lied and therefore they can’t say without a doubt that Manafort is guilty. What has confused me though is the judge. By all accounts he’s been incredibly hostile to the prosecutors. I can’t recall hearing a case like that though I guess I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s not all that uncommon.

From people who have presented in front of Judge Ellis or have followed his cases, he's normally like this.

2 minutes ago, Mexal said:

From people who have presented in front of Judge Ellis or have followed his cases, he's normally like this.

From what I've read it seems like Ellis is just hellbent (for whatever reason) on keeping this trial moving quickly.  That hurt the prosecutors since they have mountains of evidence, and they'd love to tie every piece together carefully and repeatedly.  But I'm doubtful that it will make any difference in the end. 

5 minutes ago, Mexal said:

It's certainly possible. If Congress switches hands, they may do something.

2 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Yup.  Trump getting pardon happy could end up hurting him.

Trump will step down.  He might talk a good game but hem, or his lawyers, have also demonstrated a willingness to make a tactical retreat when necessary.  Look at how quickly he settled the Trump U case after the election.

He doesn't need a real win; he needs an imaginary win he can brag about.  If he can say "Hey, everything was going great when I was there", that's it.

1 minute ago, Maithanet said:

From what I've read it seems like Ellis is just hellbent (for whatever reason) on keeping this trial moving quickly.  That hurt the prosecutors since they have mountains of evidence, and they'd love to tie every piece together carefully and repeatedly.  But I'm doubtful that it will make any difference in the end. 

I mean, this is part of it. But he was also making some comments that could have prejudiced the jury against the prosecution, which doesn't seem terribly abnormal for him. He's a pretty involved judge, quick with the wit. From what I've read, he toned it down a bit as the case went on.

4 minutes ago, Mexal said:

I mean, this is part of it. But he was also making some comments that could have prejudiced the jury against the prosecution, which doesn't seem terribly abnormal for him. He's a pretty involved judge, quick with the wit. From what I've read, he toned it down a bit as the case went on.

It still doesn’t seem like he’s been behaving all that professionally, even if this is his usual style. I get not wanting the trial to drag on forever, but he’s seemed fairly biased against the prosecution.

7 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Trump will step down.  He might talk a good game but hem, or his lawyers, have also demonstrated a willingness to make a tactical retreat when necessary.  Look at how quickly he settled the Trump U case after the election.

He doesn't need a real win; he needs an imaginary win he can brag about.  If he can say "Hey, everything was going great when I was there", that's it.

He won’t step down. Your best hope on that front is that he claims he’s achieved all his goals, was the greatest president ever and doesn’t need a second term like the rest of those loser presidents.

Archived