Genoa Bridge Collapsed, Many Dead

James Arryn

If I missed this already being told, my apologies, please delete.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-45183624

A very high bridge over residential/commercial section, railway and river in Genoa collapsed in a heavy storm. At least 35 dead (including at least one child) and 14 more in critical condition, but authorities believe there may yet be more victims undiscovered in wreckage. Reportedly 30-35 cars and heavy vehicles plunged 150 feet as the section of the bridge just collapsed. This bridge is crossed be the A-10, a major E-W highway system that runs from Lisbon to Istanbul.

I’ve been on that bridge along with my little sister. This is really terrible and terrifying.

Yes, I live there. I'm fine, but shocked. It could have been me, everyone pass there (on the bridge but also under) every day. And if you see there is a part of the bridge that is suspended, there are a lot of houses in that area. 

Glad you’re okay, at least. While not especially touristy with foreigners, my understanding is that Italians themselves head to Liguria and Sardinia for August vacation, so this bridge could have easily been a lot more crowded. 

1 hour ago, James Arryn said:

Glad you’re okay, at least. While not especially touristy with foreigners, my understanding is that Italians themselves head to Liguria and Sardinia for August vacation, so this bridge could have easily been a lot more crowded. 

There are a lot of tourists, both italians and foreigners. But that bridge is used a lot by many people, tourists to Liguria or Sardinia, tourists from France to other part of Italy, tourists to south France, ligurians who have to go from west riviera to east riviera or vice versa, many genoeses to other part of town and most of all truckers. It's very important for the trade. There were delays, but could have been more crowded, yes. And also it collapsed partially in the river, and not onto the houses.

1 hour ago, Meera of Tarth said:

I saw it in the news. I can't believe they said there had been a mantenaince two years ago.

well, some minor mantenaince. Not the one the bridge needed. There were a lot of problems (also political) https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-45188668  But I still can't understand where it collapsed first. 

On 8/16/2018 at 4:45 PM, Loge said:

There seems to be a common problem with bridges and other construction work built in the 1960s, not just in Italy.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/aug/16/bridges-across-europe-are-in-a-dangerous-state-warn-experts 

Yes it seems. After what happened here, maybe they can do some checks and close the dangerous ones. 

As always here, the event it's turning political. I really can't stand anyone, anymore.

Archived