Dark Sister

Starkz

1 minute ago, Widow's Watch said:

Yes, this was interesting. I think a lot of thought that Young Griff could have been a descendant of Bittersteel and Calla, so that sort of nips the speculation in the bud.

If it is phrased that way they might still have some children. Why introduce this Aegor-Calla thing if it was completely irrelevant? After all, Bittersteel already had a 'love interest' of sorts with Shiera Seastar.

I really don't get this, personally. Plus Bloodraven was an expert bowman and preferred it, as far as we are told. He had a whole company of archers under his command. 

The idea that Aegon V sent the Raven's Teeth with Bloodraven to the Wall makes little sense to me, by the way. Bloodraven executed Aenys Blackfyre, he had to answer for that crime, not his men. They would have gone out of solidarity for Brynden, not because they had to.

As far as Jon goes with Longclaw, I think Jon will eventually return it to Jorah. I don't see him wanting to keep it.

I'd not put much money on Jorah making it back in one piece from Slaver's Bay. The man didn't exactly have a prominent role in ADwD.

And switching swords is just weird.

But, well, we don't yet know whether Bloodraven took the thing with him to the cave. If he left it at CB then Aegon V could have sent people to collect it after his granduncle had been declared dead and a new Lord Commander had been chosen. But that would depend on the nature of Bloodraven's last ranging and whether he took it with him or not.

17 minutes ago, Maia said:

What I also find very interesting is GRRM saying that he "didn't think" that Bittersteel had any children. This is pretty major.

I really hope George was simply telling porky pies on this one - Aegor and Calla having kids would just open up too many juicy possibilities, both for the main series and future Dunk and Egg novellas.

19 minutes ago, Widow's Watch said:

Yes, this was interesting. I think a lot of thought that Young Griff could have been a descendant of Bittersteel and Calla, so that sort of nips the speculation in the bud.

It actually fits Martins own style to have Aegon/Griff actually be the real baby Aegon. Martin is no stranger to this scenario :)

I really don't get this, personally. Plus Bloodraven was an expert bowman and preferred it, as far as we are told. He had a whole company of archers under his command. 

One thing that bugs me about the artwork that I see of Brynden Bloodraven is that the artists always paint his bow black <_<, just as most of the time they always paint dragon bones and teeth ivory colored <_<

There is a significant reason why BR uses a weirwood bow! And I assume that reasoning carries over to Dark Sister and the history behind that sword... and who gets it next. 

Like the Black Gate asks, it’s about who you are, not what you are. 

As far as Jon goes with Longclaw, I think Jon will eventually return it to Jorah. I don't see him wanting to keep it.

I don’t have the quote a the moment, but in Dany’s final AGOT Chapter as she’s is either about to be burnt or just after, she promises Jorah a new sword. What this means...??? But if it’s a real sword then I feel Longclaw wouldn’t fit Jorah because the sword “skinchanged” from bear to wolf... wait, unless that implies that Jorah is now northern “compliant” to make up for his past transgressions? I dunno. That last part is just a caffeinated stream of thought. 

Something sort of occurred to me. If Bloodraven didn't take the sword north of the Wall, then there was a Targaryen at the Wall until very recently who might have kept it. 

We were discussing dragon dreams in another thread. Maybe Dark Sister was meant to go to the Wall and be at the Wall. 

3 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

It actually fits Martins own style to have Aegon/Griff actually be the real baby Aegon. Martin is no stranger to this scenario :)

Let me explain how happy I would be if Aegon/Griff turned out to be the real deal. I would be very, very happy.

26 minutes ago, Starkz said:

Unless Jon loses Longclaw I don’t think he’ll end up switching swords. I do believe the sword will reappear though as it’s perhaps the last heirloom of House Targaryen that can be recovered

I have a feeling that BR did take the sword with him on his last ranging, so it’s in the cave. And if it’s in the cave, then chances are even higher now that what many like @Free Northman Reborn Suspect about Bran leaving that cave and hooking up to the Winterfell tree now seems greater. Meera and/or Jojen both go exploring the caves quite often. Bran too via Hodor, but I suspect Bran will not do that much longer. So a Reed finding the sword has good implications as well. 

Maybe the final weirder is Arya? I like the idea of Arya and Sansa both wielding the two parts of Ice, but who knows? 

Its nice to have some fresh news to speculate over. 

I have always believed that Aegon did not let Bloodraven take the sword with him to the wall, but Bloodraven used a glamour on the sword, similar to the glamour Mel uses on "Lightbringer", to disguise it as an ordinary sword.  I just can't see Aegon letting the last Targaryen heirloom out of his possession so easily.

10 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

I have a feeling that BR did take the sword with him on his last ranging, so it’s in the cave. And if it’s in the cave, then chances are even higher now that what many like @Free Northman Reborn Suspect about Bran leaving that cave and hooking up to the Winterfell tree now seems greater. Meera and/or Jojen both go exploring the caves quite often. Bran too via Hodor, but I suspect Bran will not do that much longer. So a Reed getting the sword has good implications as well. 

Maybe the final weirder is Arya? I like the idea of Arya and Sansa both wielding the two parts of Ice, but who knows? 

Its nice to have some fresh news to speculate over. 

I don’t think Meera or Jojen will wield Dark Sister they’re not really swordsman. If it is in the cave I imagine they will take it though and give it to someone else. I have no clue who though.

1 minute ago, Starkz said:

I don’t think Meera or Jojen will wield Dark Sister they’re not really swordsman. If it is in the cave I imagine they will take it though and give it to someone else. I have no clue who though.

What if Meera was the "Dark Sister" to Jon? lol

2 minutes ago, Starkz said:

Ack! Sorry. That is what I meant. My words were just too jumbled :blush:

It's probably in his mancave. If it was in someones possession at the wall or beyond the wall, it would have showed up by now.
Or it could be hidden in one of the castles for whatever reason.

Would be pretty funny if The George left a one-off line in one of the books that we all missed. Like "...and a slender old, dusty sword was hanging on the wall, but Sam could never get used to those things..."

It is always good to get definitive information from GRRM!  Until now I leaned toward Dark Sister being left in King's Landing - I would think that it was taken from him when he was sent to the dungeons but he must have got it back when he and many of his Raven's Teeth were sent to the Night's Watch with Aemon Targaryen.  Now that we know for sure that he took Dark Sister with him to the Wall it seems logical that he had it with him when he traveled from Castle Black to the cave where he is now rooted.  Is it meant for Meera Reed, maybe? 

17 minutes ago, White Ravens said:

It is always good to get definitive information from GRRM!  Until now I leaned toward Dark Sister being left in King's Landing - I would think that it was taken from him when he was sent to the dungeons but he must have got it back when he and many of his Raven's Teeth were sent to the Night's Watch with Aemon Targaryen.  Now that we know for sure that he took Dark Sister with him to the Wall it seems logical that he had it with him when he traveled from Castle Black to the cave where he is now rooted.  Is it meant for Meera Reed, maybe? 

Meera Reed...a possible Stark-Targaryen? With both Lord Rickard Stark's sword & the ancestral Targaryen sword Dark Sister...at the same time?

I dunno...she is kinda small to double wield

1 minute ago, Dorian Martell's son said:

Or it could be anywhere because 7 decades is a very long time 

It could be anywhere but it is likely that he would have had his sword with him when he set out into the dangerous wilderness to find the Children of the Forest.  But, then again, he appears to have some ability to see aspects of the future so he may have had a reason to hide it before he left Castle Black behind.

Archived