The execution of Janos Slynt was spot on - third time's the charm!

kissdbyfire

5 hours ago, Shouldve Taken The Black said:

Indeed. And people have become so entrenched with regards to certain characters and issues by now that they’re very unlikely to be swayed by any argument, reasoned or not.

The issue is that people read the part of the book where Jon, in spite of his feelings surrounding the execution of his dad and the part played by the Lord of Harrenhal, still wants to give him a command and attempts to do so, and those readers can't seem to get past their own feelings about the fictional character and see the passage for what it is. 

1 minute ago, Dorian Martell's son said:

Very few and far between, and none of the posters have the nads to actually refer to them as fan fic threads 

Fan fiction isn't allowed. "What if" scenarios that game out how events might have gone using the parameters provided by the texts are okay, as they're discourse and not fiction. But if there are fan fiction threads somewhere, use the report function so we can remove them.

2 minutes ago, Ran said:

Fan fiction isn't allowed. "What if" scenarios that game out how events might have gone using the parameters provided by the texts are okay, as they're discourse and not fiction. But if there are fan fiction threads somewhere, use the report function so we can remove them.

Since this is your board, where is the line to be drawn between  fan fic and what if threads? Is it a single point,  or can a "something  hypothetical" rewrite everything past a single book? 

3 minutes ago, Ran said:

Bookmarking this post for... reasons.

Since this is your board, where is the line to be drawn between  fan fic and what if threads? Is it a single point,  or can a "something  hypothetical" rewrite everything past a single book? 

"Fan fiction" is text presented in the form of a piece of fiction -- there's dialogue, internal character thoughts, and so on.

A list of "And then this event would change because X, Y, Z, which would cause this to change because X,Y,Z, and of course Character Y would then do this and character Z would do that", that's speculative discussion and would be okay.

Maybe things get blurry, but again, report some case example(s) and we will definitely look into it.

1 minute ago, Ran said:

"Fan fiction" is text presented in the form of a piece of fiction -- there's dialogue, internal character thoughts, and so on.

A list of "And then this event would change because X, Y, Z, which would cause this to change because X,Y,Z, and of course Character Y would then do this and character Z would do that", that's speculative discussion and would be okay.

Maybe things get blurry, but again, report some case example(s) and we will definitely look into it.

I tend to stay away from the report button as it tended to be a tool for immature folks who lack the ability to converse and disagree like adults but I will make a foray with it in the future 

Alternatively, just 

I tend to stay away from the report button as it tended to be a tool for immature folks who lack the ability to converse and disagree like adults but I will make a foray with it in the future 

Alternatively, PM me some example threads if you think they cross the line from speculative discussion into created fiction.

6 hours ago, Shouldve Taken The Black said:

Could there have been an emotional element to what Jon did? Quite possibly, but it’s largely irrelevant, as there were other factors that led to the decision being made.

He wanted Slynt out of Castle Black because he simply could not be trusted. He is clearly a dishonourable man, and would jump at the first opportunity to betray Jon. Ordering him away and separating him from Thorne and other allies was essential, and would be a good move by any lord or commander.

We should ask – why did Slynt refuse in the manner that he did? It may just be that he didn’t fancy the appointment, but his flat refusal and mockery was clearly aimed to undermine Jon and rally supporters to him. Even if that wasn’t his intention, it would have been the outcome anyway. He had to be taken care of.

A hypothetical here, but what if Slynt had done as he was told? Does anyone think Jon would have fabricated another excuse to execute him? I doubt it. Stretching the point further, but if Slynt had arrived at the Wall and acted in good faith, i.e. treated Jon like a brother and aimed to be a good member of the Nights Watch, does anyone think this would have come about anyway? I doubt it. Slynt arrived at the Wall, assumed Jon’s enmity and immediately started aiming for his destruction.

Whatever Jon’s feelings towards him, the outcome was pretty much inevitable given Slynt’s actions.

Nice rational points, especially the bolded. Had Slynt done as he was told, nothing would have happened, no matter how much Jon fantasized about chopping off his head.

On August 15, 2018 at 11:58 AM, White Ravens said:

The word is actually echo-chamber and simply plays off the word echo.  Varysblackfyre321 is stating that they thinks kissedbyfire started these threads just to hear supporters of her perspective repeat what she already believes. 

I have not claimed Kissfyre wanted an Eco-chamber; I've asked her if that(since she clearly finds the other side of the discussion to offer nothing of merit, they are simply wrong and that it's ridiclous to cotend Jon's decision wasn't spot on) or merely to laugh at Jon's "haters" was her want in making these "non-threads" on a "non-topic" because she makes clear she finds actual debate on this issue is ridiculous. If not either of those I really don't see the point in making these "non-threads" on a "non-topic" I'm open to the possibility of her having a totally different reason to which I haven't thought of; maybe even a good one.

3 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

I have not claimed Kissfyre wanted an Eco-chamber; I've asked her if that(since she clearly finds the other side of the discussion to offer nothing of merit, they are simply wrong and that it's ridiclous to cotend Jon's decision wasn't spot on) or merely to laugh at Jon's "haters" was her want in making these "non-threads" on a "non-topic" because she makes clear she finds actual debate on this issue is ridiculous. If not either of those I really don't see the point in making these "non-threads" on a "non-topic" I'm open to the possibility of her having a totally different reason to which I haven't thought of; maybe even a good one.

Apologies.  It wasn't my intent to misrepresent you, I was just trying to explain what echo-chamber means.  (As I stated in my previous post the term is echo-chamber, not eco-chamber.) 

Archived