The Illyrio/Aegon thing

Lord Varys

13 hours ago, lysmonger said:

Something to note. The whole Golden Company is full of Targaryen bastards. Most of the Westerosi men in the Golden Company have quite a few drops of Targaryen blood. 

Illyrio mockingly smiles around Viserys proclaiming he was "blood of the dragon" because to him that isn't anything special. There are multiple lines of male Targaryens in the Company. 

I don't think we have any confirmed examples do we? I do expect you're correct, though, and here is example A

1 minute ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

I don't think we have any confirmed examples do we? I do expect you're correct, though, and here is example A

No, I don't think we have any confirmed examples, and it seems like thus far baseless assumption. Is it possible? Sure. But it's not something that can be taken for granted based on what we know.

There may be some illegitimate/female line Blackfyre descendants in the Golden Company, but if that were so it would be very odd that neither of them apparently leads the company - or lays claim to the Iron Throne. The Volmarks still remember that they are descended from the black line, so one should assume that some sellswords having the blood of kings would also not forget that.

Aegon IV had an army of bastards, but we don't know whether the baseborn bastards played any role in the First Blackfyre Rebellion. If some of them did, and this is revealed, some of them may have accompanied Bittersteel into exile. But we don't know anything about that. Thus there is no reason to assume there are any Targaryen descendants among the Golden Company at this point.

22 hours ago, Bael's Bastard said:

No, I don't think we have any confirmed examples, and it seems like thus far baseless assumption. Is it possible? Sure. But it's not something that can be taken for granted based on what we know.

I would not say baseless, but I would agree that we are making assumptions on speculation... informed speculation, though. 

• 1 month later...

Archived