Better Call Saul -- Season 4 Better Get Emmy

SpaceChampion

37 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

I'm a little surprised that the show doesn't have a larger audience

Breaking Bad comparisons are inevitable, and people were probably turned away if Better Call Saul didn’t reach their expectations. I think Better Call Saul is as well-written as Breaking Bad, but I can’t say it’s as intense or eventful, though that may change this season. Also, prequels/spinoffs have bad reputations.

Nacho is in a rough position now. Love the character/actor and find him super engaging but not sure how interesting watching him being Gus’s puppet is going to be. It was kinda convenient how easily Gus figured out that Nacho fiddled with Hectors meds. If we are assuming that the “Ignacio he’s the one” line from B.B. is about Nacho then he doesn’t die but I’m starting to wonder how he survives. 

Strong start to the season. Glad to see Jimmy call Mike at the end of the episode. Would love to see more of them together. 

Wow, that episode. I think Kim wants Jimmy to cry, but he's walled Chuck off, and he won't tell her why (what Chuck said to him that last time). And then he's doing the thing with his father with the man at the copier company. Mike knows this has to do with his brother, and Mike has a code, only mess with the bad guys. And poor Nacho is trapped, but he trapped his father, that weighs on him, and he can't turn to him. Something's gotta give with all of this. Great show.

1 hour ago, Cas Stark said:

I saw a couple of reviews where they think that Kim ditched Chuck's real letter and replaced it with the one she gave Jimmy.  Not sure about that.

Hmmm, not sure about that, either. I didn't think so, and I still don't think so after listening to this, but I suppose it's possible.

https://www.amc.com/shows/better-call-saul/video-extras/season-04/episode-03/inside-better-call-saul-season-4-episode-3

9 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

Hmmm, not sure about that, either. I didn't think so, and I still don't think so after listening to this, but I suppose it's possible.

https://www.amc.com/shows/better-call-saul/video-extras/season-04/episode-03/inside-better-call-saul-season-4-episode-3

I didn't think so either, it's not like Kim to be dishonest in that way, she is about facing up to whatever issues and working through them, but yeah, I suppose it's possible, but unlikely.  I also saw some reviews where they thought there was something shady going on with the expansion at MV, but I didn't see that either, only that Kim is seeing that she is not going to be able to handle the volume this will entail herself.

2 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

I didn't think so either, it's not like Kim to be dishonest in that way, she is about facing up to whatever issues and working through them, but yeah, I suppose it's possible, but unlikely.  I also saw some reviews where they thought there was something shady going on with the expansion at MV, but I didn't see that either, only that Kim is seeing that she is not going to be able to handle the volume this will entail herself.

Yeah, that's what I thought, too. It's not like these writers to overly complicate things. Her feelings are quite understandable as it is, she's overwhelmed, and the person she loves is very troubled, and not talking to her about it. Chuck is still messing with Jimmy's head from the grave, she knows that, but she doesn't know what he told Jimmy that set him off before he died.

10 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

I saw a couple of reviews where they think that Kim ditched Chuck's real letter and replaced it with the one she gave Jimmy.  Not sure about that.

I suppose it's possible.  She's very protective of Jimmy, and that letter did not sound like Chuck at all.

And, yeah, Kim looked like a deer in the headlights as the MV guy was unveiling all his models of future sites.  (But weren't they cute, though? :P )

Now that I'm thinking about it, BCS is relying heavily on viewers' prior knowledge of these characters from BB.  My husband, for example, never watched BB, but really enjoyed BCS up to this season.  I'm seeing him becoming slightly confused whenever the Salamanca/Fring/Nacho, etc., storyline is focused on. 

I realize they have to walk a very thin line in how much 'splaining they have to do to clarify the whole drug dealing plot with its various players (like, "who the heck's Elario??" as my husband said.) 

Eladio has been on the show before. I can't blame anyone for not remembering him but there was one scene at his pool where he was needling Hector about how much more money Fring brings in. 

Nice to see Gale again. This should all still be like five years before Breaking Bad right? Seems odd that Gus already looked at the laundry and seems to be getting ready to set up his mega lab. I wonder what will happen to delay his plans.

Another good episode, of course. I didn't get the feeling that Kim switched letters at all. I would think that if she did then she wouldn't have been genuinely crying like she was, because she would have known what to expect. Now it sure as hell didn't sound like Chuck but I will stick to thinking it was.

As to the timeline, I was hoping this would end basically where BB starts, or damn close to it. It would be pretty nice way to wrap it up if the last shot was of Walt coming in for his first legal visit from Jimmys' POV this time.

I just listened to the podcast, they said several times Chuck wrote the letter.

Peter Gould said, "To be fair to Jimmy, he doesn't know what's in the letter. For all he knows, P.S., there's some kind of stinger in there, the kind Kim is expecting."

Vince Gilligan said, "You can't take your eyes off her, because you know what she's going through. It's the horror of, I love someone who is damaged. He is emotionally stunted, there is something wrong with him, and just a few days or weeks ago, he had his issues, we all do, but he was more or less OK, and now he's not the same person he used to be. Something has been irrevocably broken inside of him emotionally, and you see the reaction... There's no cynicism, not a whiff of bitterness, he truly doesn't care."

Archived