Better Call Saul -- Season 4 Better Get Emmy

SpaceChampion

23 hours ago, Le Cygne said:

I just listened to the podcast, they said several times Chuck wrote the letter.

Peter Gould said, "To be fair to Jimmy, he doesn't know what's in the letter. For all he knows, P.S., there's some kind of stinger in there, the kind Kim is expecting."

Vince Gilligan said, "You can't take your eyes off her, because you know what she's going through. It's the horror of, I love someone who is damaged. He is emotionally stunted, there is something wrong with him, and just a few days or weeks ago, he had his issues, we all do, but he was more or less OK, and now he's not the same person he used to be. Something has been irrevocably broken inside of him emotionally, and you see the reaction... There's no cynicism, not a whiff of bitterness, he truly doesn't care."

Interesting. I was looking for a reaction. I did not get one because he no longer cared.

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 11:45 PM, Le Cygne said:

I just listened to the podcast, they said several times Chuck wrote the letter.

Peter Gould said, "To be fair to Jimmy, he doesn't know what's in the letter. For all he knows, P.S., there's some kind of stinger in there, the kind Kim is expecting."

Vince Gilligan said, "You can't take your eyes off her, because you know what she's going through. It's the horror of, I love someone who is damaged. He is emotionally stunted, there is something wrong with him, and just a few days or weeks ago, he had his issues, we all do, but he was more or less OK, and now he's not the same person he used to be. Something has been irrevocably broken inside of him emotionally, and you see the reaction... There's no cynicism, not a whiff of bitterness, he truly doesn't care."

Well, that's pretty definitive, then.  Chuck wrote the letter.  Too bad he couldn't have said some of those things to his brother when it would have mattered.

My only other comment at this point is: Poor Nacho!  He was shot up pretty badly just to make it look "good" to the Salamancas.  He almost ended up like the other guy in the car - which, do you think they should have used more bullets?? :rofl: 

(Excuse the laughing, rolling head.  It just almost got ridiculous there for a while.) 

28 minutes ago, Tears of Lys said:

Well, that's pretty definitive, then.  Chuck wrote the letter.  Too bad he couldn't have said some of those things to his brother when it would have mattered.

My only other comment at this point is: Poor Nacho!  He was shot up pretty badly just to make it look "good" to the Salamancas.  He almost ended up like the other guy in the car - which, do you think they should have used more bullets?? :rofl: 

(Excuse the laughing, rolling head.  It just almost got ridiculous there for a while.) 

Have to agree. That part of the scene dragged out way too long. I mean to go as far as to drop broken tail light material for a quarter mile, then shoot the shit out of the car. It's not like the nephews are FBI forensic investigators for petes sake!

How the hell did Fring figure out it was Nacho? Didn't I watch carefully enough or they didn't even bother to explain it?

As for the letter, I didn't feel like it was switched, after all Jimmy knows Chuck's handwritting, doesn't he? But it did feel odd somehow. I'm starting to suspect Jimmy was improvising and the actual content of the letter might be different from what he "read" only for Kim's sake.

1 hour ago, 3CityApache said:

How the hell did Fring figure out it was Nacho? Didn't I watch carefully enough or they didn't even bother to explain it?

As for the letter, I didn't feel like it was switched, after all Jimmy knows Chuck's handwritting, doesn't he? But it did feel odd somehow. I'm starting to suspect Jimmy was improvising and the actual content of the letter might be different from what he "read" only for Kim's sake.

Gus had Nacho followed when the latter was getting rid of the pills. Why Gus suspected foul play in the first place seemed to be something to do with the results of all the tests he had done on Hector. 

6 hours ago, dbunting said:

Have to agree. That part of the scene dragged out way too long. I mean to go as far as to drop broken tail light material for a quarter mile, then shoot the shit out of the car. It's not like the nephews are FBI forensic investigators for petes sake!

That's Gus, though.  Plus, the cousins aren't stupid and neither is Bolsa, and, the FBI/DEA will be also looking at the crime scene so, it makes sense to be thorough.  

2 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

the FBI/DEA will be also looking at the crime scene so, it makes sense to be thorough.  

I doubt it, I'm sure they cleaned it up before law enforcement heard about it. Just like the time Mike hit their truck and the good samaritan found the driver tied up and was killed for it. 

Edit: though they couldn't be sure the twins would get there before someone else drove by and called the cops. 

50 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I doubt it, I'm sure they cleaned it up before law enforcement heard about it. Just like the time Mike hit their truck and the good samaritan found the driver tied up and was killed for it. 

Edit: though they couldn't be sure the twins would get there before someone else drove by and called the cops. 

Not that it matters, but the dead guy probably is known to LE as part of the cartel, so once he's identified it will bump up to the Feds. Or, you think after the cousins set fire to the car some other group of flunkies will come along and 'clean' it up and hide the body?

52 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Not that it matters, but the dead guy probably is known to LE as part of the cartel, so once he's identified it will bump up to the Feds. Or, you think after the cousins set fire to the car some other group of flunkies will come along and 'clean' it up and hide the body?

I figured they buried him right there like they did the good samaritan who found the truck driver. Though I dunno what they would have done with the car since it wouldn't be drive-able. Maybe the cartel had someone tow it to a chop shop. Or maybe next week we'll get Hank and Gomez investigating the scene if the car was registered to Arturo. 

19 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Gus had Nacho followed when the latter was getting rid of the pills. Why Gus suspected foul play in the first place seemed to be something to do with the results of all the tests he had done on Hector. 

If you rewatch the 3rd season finale ("Lantern") when Hector collapses, Gus and Nacho are left to explain things to the EMS.  When Nacho hands Hector's medication over to the EMS, you can see Gus is already suspicious.  Indeed, it appears from the reaction shots we're to believe Gus has already figured it out.

On 8/21/2018 at 11:45 PM, Le Cygne said:

That's great stuff, thanks, and what I took from it.  It makes entire sense in terms of that scene.  She pulls away from him because she doesn't get how he can still be emotionless - especially after her acting as his unappointed but needed surrogate in dealing with Chuck's death the first couple episodes.  This is what I love about Gilligan:  that was the break.  It's not some huge moment and I'm sure we'll have pushes and pulls for the rest of the season.  But he ended that episode there because that's when Kim ended the relationship, even though they both probably don't know it yet. 

10 hours ago, RumHam said:

I figured they buried him right there like they did the good samaritan who found the truck driver. Though I dunno what they would have done with the car since it wouldn't be drive-able. Maybe the cartel had someone tow it to a chop shop. Or maybe next week we'll get Hank and Gomez investigating the scene if the car was registered to Arturo. 

I don't think they buried anybody, did they?  The Salamanca twins didn't have time to type of detail - there should be a trail of Nacho's blood that would be hard to clean up before getting him to the vet doctor.  I suspect that crime scene will be revisited in the coming episodes.

5 hours ago, DMC said:

If you rewatch the 3rd season finale ("Lantern") when Hector collapses, Gus and Nacho are left to explain things to the EMS.  When Nacho hands Hector's medication over to the EMS, you can see Gus is already suspicious.  Indeed, it appears from the reaction shots we're to believe Gus has already figured it out.

Yeah that didn’t really make sense to me but Gus is super smart :rolleyes: so he knows everything. 

I got the impression Chucks letter was written around the time Jimmy was still in the mailroom and when Chuck was actually proud of Jimmy. 

8 hours ago, DMC said:

I don't think they buried anybody, did they?  The Salamanca twins didn't have time to type of detail - there should be a trail of Nacho's blood that would be hard to clean up before getting him to the vet doctor.  I suspect that crime scene will be revisited in the coming episodes.

Right but I think they would have called someone to clean it up to avoid attention. The Salamanca operation has to be bigger than just the two cousins and Nacho. Come to think of it those two other guys (One of them gets beaten to death by Tuco and the other dies moving the body) just sorta disappeared after Tuco broke those skater guys legs in like the second or third episode. 

This is a good interview with Michele MacLaren who directed the second episode (she did a great job):

But it's still in contrast to the rack focus or pull focus from Jimmy and Kim making out on the couch to the goldfish tank in front of them?

Exactly. That's a completely different thing. That's one of those situations where I like the power of suggestion. We all know what's happening next, but when you pull to the goldfish, it's that little subtle thing of saying, "OK. We know what's going on. We're giving them their privacy." It's a fun way to put an exclamation mark on that moment.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/fien-print/better-call-saul-michelle-maclaren-breathe-interview-1134895

Neat way to use the change of focus. I worry about that goldfish. It's like Jimmy's humanity. They keep coming back to it, every episode so far.

2 hours ago, RumHam said:

Right but I think they would have called someone to clean it up to avoid attention.

Even on a (literally) deserted New Mexico highway, I don't think cleaning up an exploded car before someone notices is realistic.

1 minute ago, DMC said:

Even on a (literally) deserted New Mexico highway, I don't think cleaning up an exploded car before someone notices is realistic.

Breaking Bad always required a lot of suspension of disbelief. BCS has been better in that aspect but certainly not immune. 

3 hours ago, Le Cygne said:

This is a good interview with Michele MacLaren who directed the second episode (she did a great job):

But it's still in contrast to the rack focus or pull focus from Jimmy and Kim making out on the couch to the goldfish tank in front of them?

Exactly. That's a completely different thing. That's one of those situations where I like the power of suggestion. We all know what's happening next, but when you pull to the goldfish, it's that little subtle thing of saying, "OK. We know what's going on. We're giving them their privacy." It's a fun way to put an exclamation mark on that moment.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/fien-print/better-call-saul-michelle-maclaren-breathe-interview-1134895

Neat way to use the change of focus. I worry about that goldfish. It's like Jimmy's humanity. They keep coming back to it, every episode so far.

Yes, that goldfish isn't going to make it.  Maybe he will give it to kim.

I dunno why you guys are worried about the fish. He's obviously taking good care of it. He's already brought it to the vet at least twice!

30 minutes ago, DMC said:

Probably not but I think they'd at least try to keep the cops from getting involved. They managed that time Mike hit their shipment, presumably they had to have the truck towed. Though granted it wasn't riddled with bullet holes...

Archived