Better Call Saul -- Season 4 Better Get Emmy

SpaceChampion

When Chuck was alive, Jimmy aspired to be better... they could never overcome their childhood resentment of one another, and it led to shenanigans... but even when Jimmy was undermining Chuck, he was doing so out a sense that he was doing the right thing(for Kim), albeit illegally. ....now he's just spiraling towards criminality for its own sake... 

It almost seems like they just remembered that Mike is a lot darker on Breaking Bad and decided to start making him a bit more of a dick. I hope they start doing more with Jimmy he's been kinda sidelined on his own show this season so far. 

Maybe I missed something but how did Gus know Mike was aware of Nacho's plans to kill Hector? 

23 hours ago, RumHam said:

It almost seems like they just remembered that Mike is a lot darker on Breaking Bad and decided to start making him a bit more of a dick. I hope they start doing more with Jimmy he's been kinda sidelined on his own show this season so far. 

Maybe I missed something but how did Gus know Mike was aware of Nacho's plans to kill Hector? 

I was thinking that too.  I guess they need to really set up the gang/drugs/crimes angle so new viewers have a clear understanding of that whole scenario when Jimmy gets tangled up in it. 

It was interesting that Kim's looking to get into a different area of the law, whether it be due to feeling disenchanted (or bored) with basically doing the same thing for MV with each of the new branches, or due to feeling completely overwhelmed by the work in front of her.  BTW, anyone else recognize that the judge was played by the actor who played "Neelix" on the Star Trek Voyager series?  :P 

So this is old news but it was new to me, they're introducing Lalo this season. the guy Saul thought was about to have him killed in his first episode of Breaking Bad. 

https://www.indiewire.com/2018/07/better-call-saul-season-4-lalo-breaking-bad-crossover-hints-1201985893/

I'm thinking this guy has to be the reason Gus's plans get set back like five years. I just hope Nacho escapes with the vacuum cleaner guy.

At some point, I felt like this show was painfully divided into 2 storylines: the Mike one and the Jimmy one.

Now, it appears that there are actually at least 3 independent plots: Mike, Jimmy and Nacho/Gus. I am aware they are not totally independent, as there are ties between Mike, Gus and Nacho. But still, my feeling is that Jimmy & Kim do not evolve in the same show than Gus, Mike and others. I am not saying there are 2 shows in one, but 2 kind of environment are perceptible.

Which is a concern, considering we are getting near BCS's end (we are season 4, BB had 6 seasons, may a spin-off have more season than the main show?). IMHO, things should be way more shaped and coherent in BCS plot.

4 hours ago, Ser Glendon Fireball said:

Which is a concern, considering we are getting near BCS's end (we are season 4, BB had 6 seasons, may a spin-off have more season than the main show?). IMHO, things should be way more shaped and coherent in BCS plot.

Breaking Bad had 5 seasons, but the fifth season was split into two parts.

7 hours ago, Ser Glendon Fireball said:

At some point, I felt like this show was painfully divided into 2 storylines: the Mike one and the Jimmy one.

Now, it appears that there are actually at least 3 independent plots: Mike, Jimmy and Nacho/Gus. I am aware they are not totally independent, as there are ties between Mike, Gus and Nacho. But still, my feeling is that Jimmy & Kim do not evolve in the same show than Gus, Mike and others. I am not saying there are 2 shows in one, but 2 kind of environment are perceptible.

Well knowing now that Lalo is connected to Hector and appearing this season is encouraging. The fact that around five years later Jimmy is still concerned Lalo wants to kill him (and Nacho) pretty much guarantees the three story lines will converge.

2 hours ago, Dragon in the North said:

Breaking Bad had 5 seasons, but the fifth season was split into two parts.

I know this is the official position but they were written separately, shot separately and aired separately.  The 5A/5B thing was just to avoid giving people raises they were contractually obligated to give for a new season. As far as I'm concerned they're two seasons. 

On 9/1/2018 at 3:14 PM, RumHam said:

I know this is the official position but they were written separately, shot separately and aired separately.  The 5A/5B thing was just to avoid giving people raises they were contractually obligated to give for a new season. As far as I'm concerned they're two seasons. 

Fair enough. I still don’t see BCS lasting more than 5 seasons, though.

I liked this episode. TBH I am ready to see Saul, I am done with Jimmy and or slipping Jimmy. 

When he got mugged, was one of those kids the same one Kim got off in court or just poor lighting and me not paying attention?

I also like how they are tying in the rest of the BB world by giving us some of how Fring got his lab set up and the amount of effort that went into it.

Not really sure where Kim is heading right now. She never was a public defender/defense lawyer was she? I thought she was corporate lawyer when we met her and that she worked there the whole time? If so then this road they have her going down makes no sense.

52 minutes ago, dbunting said:

When he got mugged, was one of those kids the same one Kim got off in court or just poor lighting and me not paying attention?

Don't think so. 

53 minutes ago, dbunting said:

I also like how they are tying in the rest of the BB world by giving us some of how Fring got his lab set up and the amount of effort that went into it.

It went on a bit long. I like the idea that Gus doesn't believe the guy telling him it'll be relatively easy but that was a big chunk of the episode. Also why does he reveal himself to the guy? It's an unnecessary risk and the not even a meaningful moment for the audience. Even people who haven't seen Breaking Bad already knew he was the one behind it. 

58 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Not really sure where Kim is heading right now. She never was a public defender/defense lawyer was she? I thought she was corporate lawyer when we met her and that she worked there the whole time? If so then this road they have her going down makes no sense.

HHM paid her law school tuition so I'm guessing she's never public defended before. I think she just feels bad. She realizes Chuck was right about Jimmy and that Jimmy's manipulations to get her Mesa Verde also ultimately lead to Chuck's suicide. The whole Mesa Verde thing is tainted now and a few episodes back she realized it was never going to end for her. So now she's trying to help people / get fired. 

On 9/1/2018 at 1:07 PM, Consigliere said:

He also says "Lalo didn't send you" in that same scene.

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

Don't think so. 

It went on a bit long. I like the idea that Gus doesn't believe the guy telling him it'll be relatively easy but that was a big chunk of the episode. Also why does he reveal himself to the guy? It's an unnecessary risk and the not even a meaningful moment for the audience. Even people who haven't seen Breaking Bad already knew he was the one behind it. 

HHM paid her law school tuition so I'm guessing she's never public defended before. I think she just feels bad. She realizes Chuck was right about Jimmy and that Jimmy's manipulations to get her Mesa Verde also ultimately lead to Chuck's suicide. The whole Mesa Verde thing is tainted now and a few episodes back she realized it was never going to end for her. So now she's trying to help people / get fired. 

Fring will likely kill him after the work is done.

I didn't see what the back story on the lab had to do with anything or why we need to see it, maybe they're going to do something going forward, but it seemed really unnecessary.  

I also wasn't really buying straight as an arrow, never cuts corners Kim suddenly finding a love of defending the guilty criminals out there.  I really felt meh about the whole episode.

Archived