Better Call Saul -- Season 4 Better Get Emmy

SpaceChampion

10 hours ago, SeanF said:

Yes, I think she must blame herself in some way for what happened to her mother.

I don't think Kim's story will end well.  I suspect, thanks to Jimmy, she ends up committing some serious offence.  

I hope she doesn't end up running foul of Gus or Lalo.

Yeah, me neither, but I don't think it will be something to do with the cartel, that would be a little jumping of the shark for the show, Kim's story has always been about boundaries and legal nuance.  I hope/believe it will be something bad and sad but will still be unexpected in how it plays out, like it was unexpected that after Jimmy's stunt she would want to marry him, LOL.   

Well, they got married.  So, indeed, they could freely discuss Jimmy's criminal schemes, without Kim being made to testify. 

I'd love to know what the Chilean backstory is. Involvement in the Pinochet coup?

Are Lydia and Herr Shule lovers?

The chicken bomb was stupid. Calculating always ten steps ahead Gus is not only there when his restaurant explodes, but takes a chance the bird won't slide down prematurely and kill him. 

Jimmy lost me this episode. Yes, he's increasingly become a jerk, but the old Jimmy was still there somewhere. Now for the first time, I called him Saul and not Jimmy.

Kim, what have you done? Jimmy has left the building.

A lot of reviewers saw this as their turning point, too.

Here's one (great title, too: "It's Saul Goodman on the streets and Jimmy McGill between the sheets"):

And that’s the biggest lie of all—the one they tell each other because they think it’s what the other wants to hear. This is strictly business, all about spousal privilege in court. No rings; “we didn’t do that,” Jimmy non-explains to the judge. “It’s not about that,” Kim reassures Jimmy when he apologizes that this isn’t the wedding she dreamed of as a girl. “Just— everything we talked about.”

But secretly each is delighted and moved. Repeating their “short vows,” they get a little emotional and a lot vulnerable. I get that. I remember. There’s no way to look in someone’s eyes and make those promises without it feeling momentous, whatever you tell yourself. And then when they get home from their separate legal worlds, they fall into bed positively giddy with what they’ve pulled off...

That gorgeous reflection shot, Jimmy’s face bifurcated as he peers around the corner, illustrates the duality of Jimmy McGill and Saul Goodman. But in that final moment, there’s only one man screaming. And it’s not the man Kim vowed to have and to hold.

https://tv.avclub.com/its-saul-goodman-on-the-streets-and-jimmy-mcgill-betwee-1842559197

Another one:

Since I first watched “JMM,” I haven’t been able to let go of that abrupt cut from Jimmy in the chair to Saul on his feet. In many ways, this is the scene the entire series has been building up to, and the crucial part of it happens off-camera. Why? Maybe the creative team knew that Bob Odenkirk would get to play a similar Jimmy/Saul switch only moments later in the argument with Howard, and wanted to save it for the episode’s climax. Maybe the vehemence of Jimmy’s response to Howard was so much more blatantly a Saul Goodman scene that all involved felt that it was the true point of no return.

But maybe it’s less about story than about sentiment, and about how Gould, Vince Gilligan, and everyone else found themselves surprised by how much they loved Jimmy McGill, and how little they wanted to let him become Saul — even though the design of the show as a prequel gave them no choice in the matter...

Is he already Saul for good(man)? This series has offered too many false alarms in the past to say for sure. But if we revist “JMM” years from now as the great episode we’d all been dreading, then we can look at that hard cut in the same way: as a moment that Gould and company were forced to write, but one they didn’t actually want to see.

I can’t blame them.

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-recaps/better-call-saul-recap-season-5-episode-7-jmm-974534/

16 minutes ago, RumHam said:

The chicken bomb was stupid. Calculating always ten steps ahead Gus is not only there when his restaurant explodes, but takes a chance the bird won't slide down prematurely and kill him. 

In Better Call Saul world, there is zero chance that bird was sliding down prematurely.

2 hours ago, Le Cygne said:

Jimmy lost me this episode. Yes, he's increasingly become a jerk, but the old Jimmy was still there somewhere. Now for the first time, I called him Saul and not Jimmy.

Kim, what have you done? Jimmy has left the building.

What did he do in this episode that is more jerkish than plenty of other stuff he has done before?

Cutting the last strand holding his mentally ill brother to sanity.....that was it for me.  He's always been a jerk and he has been a bad and dangerous person for several seasons.  Whatever is coming to Kim, she will have earned it.

7 hours ago, Minsc said:

What did he do in this episode that is more jerkish than plenty of other stuff he has done before?

Becoming "A friend of the cartel". Knowingly lying in court on behalf of the cartel.  Agreeing to collect $7 m for the cartel.  That's definitely a threshold.  And if Kim is okay with that, it's a threshold for her too.

1 hour ago, SeanF said:

Becoming "A friend of the cartel". Knowingly lying in court on behalf of the cartel.  Agreeing to collect $7 m for the cartel.  That's definitely a threshold.  And if Kim is okay with that, it's a threshold for her too.

Yep. All the reviews I read felt it was a turning point (I put a couple of reviews above). And the showrunners and actors, too. Interesting shots showing this.

Just wanted to mention in case anyone is interested, this was a really interesting episode of the podcast, Bob Odenkirk talks about what it's like to film the role:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/507-better-call-saul-insider/id966297954?i=1000470093752

47 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

Yep. All the reviews I read felt it was a turning point (I put a couple of reviews above). And the showrunners and actors, too. Interesting shots showing this.

Just wanted to mention in case anyone is interested, this was a really interesting episode of the podcast, Bob Odenkirk talks about what it's like to film the role:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/507-better-call-saul-insider/id966297954?i=1000470093752

The difference to Breaking Bad is that Walter never really broke bad.  He was always a nasty man, as he showed when he rejected Elliot and Gretchen's offer to employ him at a high salary, and pay for his medical treatment, at the outset, purely for reasons of pride and anger.  Power simply revealed what type of man he was, rather than corrupting him.  He's a compelling character, but at heart, he's always been a villain. 

The characters who can either fall or be redeemed in that tale are Jesse, Skyler, to an extent Marie.  Hank is probably the closest to a hero, albeit a hero with flaws.

Jimmy/Saul's arc really is more of a breaking bad arc.  There are times when he has done decent things.  He did go the extra mile to care for his brother for a long time, and did expose elderly patients getting ripped off.  But, at so many points where he could have chosen a better path, he chose a worse one.

Kim, I guess, is more like Jesse, Skyler, Marie.  At the moment, she seems bent on self-destruction, but she may pull out of it, or she may not. I only hope she doesn't meet a similar end to Adriana in the Sopranos.  That's one of the most harrowing deaths I've ever witnessed on television, as one guesses, a couple of seconds before Adriana, what is going to happen to her.

6 hours ago, SeanF said:

The difference to Breaking Bad is that Walter never really broke bad.  He was always a nasty man, as he showed when he rejected Elliot and Gretchen's offer to employ him at a high salary, and pay for his medical treatment, at the outset, purely for reasons of pride and anger.  Power simply revealed what type of man he was, rather than corrupting him.  He's a compelling character, but at heart, he's always been a villain. 

The characters who can either fall or be redeemed in that tale are Jesse, Skyler, to an extent Marie.  Hank is probably the closest to a hero, albeit a hero with flaws.

Jimmy/Saul's arc really is more of a breaking bad arc.  There are times when he has done decent things.  He did go the extra mile to care for his brother for a long time, and did expose elderly patients getting ripped off.  But, at so many points where he could have chosen a better path, he chose a worse one.

Kim, I guess, is more like Jesse, Skyler, Marie.  At the moment, she seems bent on self-destruction, but she may pull out of it, or she may not. I only hope she doesn't meet a similar end to Adriana in the Sopranos.  That's one of the most harrowing deaths I've ever witnessed on television, as one guesses, a couple of seconds before Adriana, what is going to happen to her.

I agree, Walt was never a nice guy, he had simply managed to keep a lid on his long simmering rage at the world before the events of BB. 

Kim might be the closest to Sky, because like Skyler, she sees and knows what is happening but never, so far, leaves, instead she is becoming ever more embroiled in criminality.  Imagine in real life if your partner came home talking about being a 'friend of the cartel' you would be flipping out, ranting and raving at them to snap out of it, and WTF have you done....unless you were already seriously compromised and damaged yourself, like Kim, who just sucks it up like it was almost nothing.

14 hours ago, SeanF said:

Jimmy already helped the cartel before that and that doesn't figure in things he know he will do in the future for Walter.

Can anyone explain how the Chicken Bomb works out, I mean, chemically ? And what's the point for Nacho to tear the sofas and break one or two objects if the whole place is gonna burn anyway ?

Whether we'll learn about Gus's background with the Madrigal boss in BCS or in another show, it'll be interesting.

5 minutes ago, Ser Glendon Fireball said:

Can anyone explain how the Chicken Bomb works out, I mean, chemically ?

Ice on a frozen chicken will turn to steam almost instantly, and will throw oil up into the air as it tries to escape.  I believe this action allow can sometimes push oil past its flash point, but I'm not sure. In any case, the idea is that the oil ignites and then the gas from the stove does the rest of the work. 

It is true that a well-maintained deep fat fryer (a we know those at Pollos Hermanos are) has its burner element sufficiently isolated that it can't blow up into a big fire like you see every Thanksgiving when someone tries to deep fry a frozen turkey using a propane fryer.

And what's the point for Nacho to tear the sofas and break one or two objects if the whole place is gonna burn anyway ?

To leave evidence that it was hoodlums wrecking the place and having fun burning it down while they were at it,  rather than a targeted, deliberate arson.

Whether we'll learn about Gus's background with the Madrigal boss in BCS or in another show, it'll be interesting.

I admit, I was really interested in what happened in Santiago!

I thought the sniper fire was going to be from the cousins, which would have made more sense that the cartel had someone watching Jimmy to make sure he gets back.

Rhea Seehorn deserves an Emmy, but that is nothing new, LOL. 

If Lalo had been running things all along instead of Hector the Salamanca family would probably have survived BB.  

Good episode. Scared for Kim. Damn you, Jimmy.

I've been so worried for Nacho's father, and now add Kim to the list for the same reason.

I liked that the Jimmy, Kim, Mike, and Nacho stories have converged. The acting, direction, cinematography, and score as always were beautifully done.

(Vince Gilligan directed this episode.)

One thing stood out as not worth the ick factor and a no-no according to most survival guides, including the Army Field Manual, Jimmy's alternate beverage:

https://fas.org/irp/doddir/army/fm3-05-70.pdf

(Water Procurement, Chapter 6. Also in there is a solar water still diagram.)

As soon as I saw him use the water to clean his shoe, I knew he'd be sorry. This show always gives you things to look out for, and returns to them nicely.

26 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

Good episode. Scared for Kim. Damn you, Jimmy.

I've been so worried for Nacho's father, and now add Kim to the list for the same reason.

I liked that the Jimmy, Kim, Mike, and Nacho stories have converged. The acting, direction, cinematography, and score as always were beautifully done.

(Vince Gilligan directed this episode.)

One thing stood out as not worth the ick factor and a no-no according to most survival guides, including the Army Field Manual, Jimmy's alternate beverage:

https://fas.org/irp/doddir/army/fm3-05-70.pdf

(Also in there is a solar water still diagram.)

As soon as I saw him use the water to clean his shoe, I knew he'd be sorry. This show always gives you things to look out for, and returns to them nicely.

I so worry this is heading the same way as Adriana La Cerva.

Imagine if it gets to the point Saul has to choose between his life and Kim's.

Archived