Better Call Saul -- Season 4 Better Get Emmy

SpaceChampion

Liked the episode as long as I ignore the major contrivances necessary to set it up. Saul being the guy to pick up the money - it's the fucking Cartel, surely they would have plenty of mules who could have done this. The cousins not providing some protection for Saul and Mike following him not knowing Saul's destination or purpose but oh so conveniently taking his sniper rifle with him.

22 hours ago, Consigliere said:

Liked the episode as long as I ignore the major contrivances necessary to set it up. Saul being the guy to pick up the money - it's the fucking Cartel, surely they would have plenty of mules who could have done this. The cousins not providing some protection for Saul and Mike following him not knowing Saul's destination or purpose but oh so conveniently taking his sniper rifle with him.

I agree that this is the least likely part of the show. The cousins could very easily have brought it much closer to where Lalo is.

And Mike, as I forgot the damn gas cap, knew where he was and since he has Nacho as a snitch he would have known what Saul was doing, or it's at least plausible that he would.

Also that isn't a special rifle, just had a few modifications, added tripod legs and long range scope. Wasn't a 50 cal or anything crazy.

Lalo is a wonderful character, but again, I'm not sure he realistically would have believed them.  I feel like the show has taken more liberties with the plot than in previous seasons, but it isn't that irritating, possibly a sign that it is good they are only doing 1 more after this.

Another really good episode. Wondering what the fall out will be between Saul and Kim. Now he has to fess up to the bullet holes and decide to try to minimize it or tell her the whole truth.

13 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

Lalo is a wonderful character, but again, I'm not sure he realistically would have believed them.  I feel like the show has taken more liberties with the plot than in previous seasons, but it isn't that irritating, possibly a sign that it is good they are only doing 1 more after this.

Who's to say he believed them? 

Great episode! Wow.

The fish again. It was in frame throughout the episode.

Lalo messes with the fish.

Don't do that, the fish gets upset, Jimmy says. (The fish is Kim, I think.)

Lalo walks back towards the fish.

Kim lays Lalo out. She is magnificent. And he backs down. For now.

Inside the episode:

Preview of finale:

Looks like last shot of preview looks like Jimmy (and maybe Kim) perhaps at a motel.

Synopsis of finale: "Jimmy and Kim make a sideways move that takes a serious turn; Nacho gets closer to the cartel."

8 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

We were right to worry about the fish the whole time. PROTECT THE FISH!

Save the fish, save the world?

Is Gus Fring the Doran Martell of this series?  Take insults for years, meanwhile plotting deeply against his enemies with a long term plan, but ultimately fail with his dithering trying to seem harmless?

7 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

Save the fish, save the world?

Is Gus Fring the Doran Martell of this series?  Take insults for years, meanwhile plotting deeply against his enemies with a long term plan, but ultimately fail with his dithering trying to seem harmless?

No, because 1) Fring actually took out all of his enemies, including Eladio staying alive long enough to know that he was behind it,  [unlike Doran, who has sat on his ass and done nothing, gotten revenge on no one]  2) his final failure wasn't due to dithering but to arrogance and a need to stick it to Hector one final time.  

I still believe the fish are not likely to make it out of the series alive unless Kim takes them w/her when she leaves.  

1 hour ago, SeanF said:

I think Fring is the best of all TV villains.

He'd a damn good villain. All the actors are splendid.

I think Mike has it right, though. Nacho tried to kill Hector to save his father. If Gus were to spare his father, Nacho would not try to kill Gus, he'd just leave.

(Oh I also have to say the guy who plays Lalo is doing a great job, too. That final scene was so damn good, the three of them, and THE POOR FISH.)

4 hours ago, SeanF said:

I think Fring is the best of all TV villains.

That title has got to go to Al Swearengen. 

Great episode. This show is in high gear right now. Give Seehorn an Emmy, a Grammy, an Oscar and a Tony please. 

I've still got to watch Deadwood.

I'm anticipating and dreading the final episode of Season 5 in equal measure.

I agree that Lalo is great too.  There's a real "dark hilarity" about him (to use Steven King's expression).

21 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

I was stressing out over the fish!  I was sure he was going to smash that tank.

I was sure he was going to smash KIM as she was reading him the riot act over his not trusting Jimmy.

Very tense scene, for sure, and not just for the fish.  

Archived