Better Call Saul -- Season 4 Better Get Emmy

SpaceChampion

15 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Well, he has to maintain some appearance of being an ambulance chasing lawyer right? I mean if he starts flashing money around he draws more real attention (DEA, FBI etc.) to himself and by association his clients? Also,(just my guess) I think that next season we will see him not working with the cartel, but just Gus, through Mike and we know Gus would never use Saul to carry $7 million, therefor no big paydays.

I guess to some degree, maybe, but we know he's adept at money laundering, so if he has any money to launder, why isn't he laundering it? He's not. A lawyer, even a sleazy lawyer, having a decent, new car would surely not get DEA attention, especially after he would already have somehow managed to stay out of jail despite springing a major drug kingpin out of jail, if he could withstand that scrutiny, he can afford a nice car in his BB era.  

It's no big deal, but it has seemed odd to me for a while that Saul has seemingly reaped zero benefit from his various criminal contacts.  

2 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

Partially. I'm not sure, it isn't like the show to leave such a large inconsistency. 

I have enjoyed seeing how many chances Jimmy has had to become financially successful, and he has blown them every time through self sabotage.  So, I hope that in the final season we will see how he becomes persona non grata for everyone except marginal street criminals, because Jimmy is actually a good lawyer, he could easily have been ABQ answer to a real life Mark Geragos type even w/out cartel clients. 

Another explanation is that Saul just lost his "in" with the cartel. We know that Lalo and Nacho either disappear or die, Tuco returns to run the Salamanca operation and Saul would most likely look to avoid him and Gus would have had no need to make use of Saul's services aside from maybe minor stuff. 

1 hour ago, Cas Stark said:

he can afford a nice car in his BB era.  

The season 1 finale gave a reason for why Saul gets himself a caddy - his late best bud Marco told him he should get a white Cadillac once he becomes a lawyer. 

36 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Another explanation is that Saul just lost his "in" with the cartel. We know that Lalo and Nacho either disappear or die, Tuco returns to run the Salamanca operation and Saul would most likely look to avoid him and Gus would have had no need to make use of Saul's services aside from maybe minor stuff. 

Does it need an explanation? I figured that Saul wisely concluded that running up too close to the cartels was a terrible idea, based on what happened with the bail money this time around. BB Saul definitely had a big streak of self preservation, he knows when something’s not worth the risk.

I’m really torn on Kim, I’ve never rewatched BCS but if felt a little sudden for her to be that out to get Howard. But as others have said, maybe we missed stuff and saw what we wanted to see. I still have the last season finale in mind, where she was shocked that Jimmy was acting the whole time about something that moved her to tears. Also, I can’t quite square her with how Saul turns out. I’m trying to reverse engineer this and ask, what outcome for Kim produces that character? To be honest, none really. Her dying doesn’t fit, that would only push him away from that path. And I can’t imagine he’s so stubborn that if she called him on his ethics, he’d dig in his heels and get worse. Weirdly, them just drifting apart made the most sense to me. Then they got married.

There's still time for them to drift apart. Weirdly we all thought that Jimmy going full Saul would result in that outcome but it looks like Kim breaking bad might be the catalyst. I think Kim being perfectly happy to screw over Kevin and Paige was a glimpse of the self righteous vindictiveness but we were conditioned to see that whole situation as Kim standing up for the little guy against the evil bank when it was perfectly clear which parties were actually in the wrong.  The Howard thing just ramps it up a few notches. Previously Kim wanted to have her cake and eat it too but resigning from S&C has allowed her to fully embrace her dark side.

Also doubt that Kim dies or goes to jail or gets disbarred. Remember that one episode with the flash forward last season where Francesca is helping to shred documents and Saul gives her a card and says "Tell 'em Jimmy sent you". I think the person he's referring to is Kim. 

I figured he was going to buy his breaking bad car with part of the 100k. Obviously he won't get the Sandpiper millions for some reason.

I agree with those above who said he's not gonna be doing any more cartel work. Especially since Nacho introduced him to Lalo. Lalo was already suspicious of Saul and now he knows Nacho tried to get him killed. I fully expect Lalo to show up at Kim's apartment again very angry looking for answers. 

4 hours ago, dbunting said:

Well, he has to maintain some appearance of being an ambulance chasing lawyer right? I mean if he starts flashing money around he draws more real attention (DEA, FBI etc.) to himself and by association his clients? Also,(just my guess) I think that next season we will see him not working with the cartel, but just Gus, through Mike and we know Gus would never use Saul to carry $7 million, therefor no big paydays.

Yup. By the end of Breaking Bad he definitly has millions from Walt and we know he's not flashing it around. 

10 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

Am I the only one who has wondered why BB Saul isn't more prosperous, now that we see his back story of being more involved w/the cartel than what most probably thought and having a clearer idea of who and what Mike is capable of?  BB Saul drives an old car and has a crappy mini mall office that is full of the typical low life, petty criminals that we would expect from an ambulance chasing, sleazy attorney.  This doesn't quite square with someone who rep'd Lalo Salamanca and knows some of Mike's secrets, how did he never make bank in those years with any of the cartel relationships?  

BB Saul had plenty of cash.

4 hours ago, SeanF said:

Yeah, he had quite a lot when he was preparing to run in BB, and still has gemstones worth whatever amount in the flashforward. 

I'm guessing he went in for keeping a certain persona or profile -- a Cadillac Deville speaks "wealth" to older working class types, but it being a decade old speaks "low rent, bottom-scraping lawyer" to anyone in authority, not someone worth looking into.

10 hours ago, SeanF said:

That was never my impression.  Of course, after he meets Walt, he's making a lot of money, but I never had the sense, again, based on his car/office that he was rolling in money, legal or illegal, until he hooks up with Walt & Jesse.

31 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

That was never my impression.  Of course, after he meets Walt, he's making a lot of money, but I never had the sense, again, based on his car/office that he was rolling in money, legal or illegal, until he hooks up with Walt & Jesse.

Don't forget, he already had several hidden safes in his office before meeting Walt/Jessie, so he was doing just fine. Obviously he was doing better after since they were bringing in so much cash and running it all through him.

Yeah, I wouldn't put much stock in Saul's office or car to determine how much money he had. Saul's office is in a strip mall and he drives a caddy because that is what fits who he is. He had the corner office, partner track and fancy German car at D&M and could have had that again at HMM - he rejected it both times because that is not who he is.

I wonder if this is Vince Gilligan's sense of justice at work then, that almost no one is really benefiting from their crimes. 

Gus lives in a house that I could probably afford, despite the fact that his chicken franchise alone would make him a multi millionaire, Mike lives exactly the life you'd expect of a retired cop, Hector is full of rage and resentment however much $ he has, and ends up in a shack in the desert, and if Saul really had a lot of money before meeting Walt, then he too, is living the life of a lowest rung ambulance chaser despite whatever money he really has.  Only Don Eladio and Lalo seem like they're living a nice, lavish drug lord life with all the associated perks.  

49 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

I wonder if this is Vince Gilligan's sense of justice at work then, that almost no one is really benefiting from their crimes. 

Gus lives in a house that I could probably afford, despite the fact that his chicken franchise alone would make him a multi millionaire, Mike lives exactly the life you'd expect of a retired cop, Hector is full of rage and resentment however much $ he has, and ends up in a shack in the desert, and if Saul really had a lot of money before meeting Walt, then he too, is living the life of a lowest rung ambulance chaser despite whatever money he really has.  Only Don Eladio and Lalo seem like they're living a nice, lavish drug lord life with all the associated perks.  

And what are the common items between those two groups? One group lives in the US where they have to hide and justify their income. The other group lives in Mexico where the cartel runs things and they can do as they wish.

I've seen many people being worried for Papa Varga. But am I the only one who felt that Lalo's anger could be more aimed at Gus & co. than at Nacho?

I mean, if we are to imagine what he does straight at the end of the episode, IMO it's more likely that he goes to Eladio's villa to confront him about Gus (& Bolsa?) so he has allies in his upcoming war, than driving alone right to Albuquerque in search of Nacho or whatever...

(Ofc I guess he can do both)

5 minutes ago, Ser Glendon Fireball said:

I've seen many people being worried for Papa Varga. But am I the only one who felt that Lalo's anger could be more aimed at Gus & co. than at Nacho?

I mean, if we are to imagine what he does straight at the end of the episode, IMO it's more likely that he goes to Eladio's villa to confront him about Gus (& Bolsa?) so he has allies in his upcoming war, than driving alone right to Albuquerque in search of Nacho or whatever...

He doesn't know who did it, but he is certain Nacho helped, so Nacho is #1 on hit list. I don't see Lalo going back to the US. Too much risk he gets picked up again and doesn't make bail. He would be better off sending a hit team or kidnapping them to do it himself in Mexico.

9 minutes ago, Ser Glendon Fireball said:

He has to be careful w/Gus though because of how much $$ he earns for Eladio, if not for Eladio, the Salamancas would already have killed Gus and taken over, I think? 

He also may not want to point out this series of weaknesses and fuck ups to Eladio, so I would think he will attempt to get his revenge on his own, and probably will start with Nacho if he can find him.  Next would be Jimmy, to find out what he was lying about, which would lead to Mike and Gus, so it must be that he never reaches Jimmy or Kim.

Lalo may end up like the Russian in the Pine Barrens, no one will know what happened to him but he never resurfaces.

10 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

He has to be careful w/Gus though because of how much $$ he earns for Eladio, if not for Eladio, the Salamancas would already have killed Gus and taken over, I think? 

He also may not want to point out this series of weaknesses and fuck ups to Eladio, so I would think he will attempt to get his revenge on his own, and probably will start with Nacho if he can find him.  Next would be Jimmy, to find out what he was lying about, which would lead to Mike and Gus, so it must be that he never reaches Jimmy or Kim.

Lalo may end up like the Russian in the Pine Barrens, no one will know what happened to him but he never resurfaces.

Hey that Sopranos prequel movie got delayed cause of the virus, but it's still coming out. I maintain that he fell into some kinda time portal and will hunt young Tony through 1967 Newark like the Terminator. 

On 4/21/2020 at 11:16 PM, Triskele said:

Not that I blame anyone, but Don Elario looked older in a way that was so different.  Everyone else like Hector, Mike, etc... they've done a great job with the time juxtaposition.  

Seeing Mike, Gus and others reminds me of watching The Irishman. They often look younger at first glance but they don't move younger. Not a huge deal for me. I have an imagination and can look past it for the most part. But sometimes it sticks out and is jarring.

On 24 April 2020 at 4:24 PM, Cas Stark said:

Walt himself had $80m, but no way of spending it.

The money becomes a way of keeping score.

22 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

That doesn't seem like Gilligan's style tbh. I'm fairly confident that Lalo's eventual fate will be clearly spelled out. 

Archived