Better Call Saul -- Season 4 Better Get Emmy

SpaceChampion

20 minutes ago, Minsc said:

Frankly, Chuck wasn't much of a bully either.  All he didn't want was to have Jimmy work at his firm. 

He should have been honest, though. Rather than pinning it on poor Howard for years. 

Just now, RumHam said:

He should have been honest, though. Rather than pinning it on poor Howard for years. 

Frankly, Chuck being cowardly and not wanting to destroy his relationship with his brother pales compared to the majority of Jimmy's actions that I cannot judge him to harshly.

Moreover, it isn't that different than what Kim is doing now towards MV.

On 3/17/2020 at 10:45 PM, Cas Stark said:

Yes, more than any show that comes to my mind BCS shows how all the little compromises eventually add up to a big change, you keep breaking the rules and your own rules for 'reasons' and one day, you look in the mirror and you're a different person.

Conversely, imagine what BCS would be like if Benioff & Weiss had been put in charge of it!

Let's not forget that it is not just Kevin who was given a viable alternative; Kim had also found good alternative accommodations for Acker that were within his price range so it's not like the old man was going to be left destitute. The difference is that Kevin has played by the rules and operated within the law whereas Acker thinks the law doesn't apply to him - we sympathise with Acker because we are conditioned to see this situation as the evil corporate overlords stomping on the little guy even though Acker is clearly the one in the wrong here. 

7 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Let's not forget that it is not just Kevin who was given a viable alternative; Kim had also found good alternative accommodations for Acker that were within his price range so it's not like the old man was going to be left destitute. The difference is that Kevin has played by the rules and operated within the law whereas Acker thinks the law doesn't apply to him - we sympathise with Acker because we are conditioned to see this situation as the evil corporate overlords stomping on the little guy even though Acker is clearly the one in the wrong here. 

I tend to agree.  Acker's a big boy.

8 hours ago, Minsc said:

So maybe I am cold, but I don't feel any sympathy for Kim's outrage at the end of this episode.

I don't think you are supposed to. It's false outrage, as she knows she is doing exactly what her boss is hinting at. 

1 hour ago, Relic said:

I don't think you are supposed to. It's false outrage, as she knows she is doing exactly what her boss is hinting at. 

I am talking about in the next episode from this Monday.

I think I may have actually gasped when Kim after her rant proposed they get married! I was sure she was going to pack up  her stuff and walk out and she would be out of the show at the end of this year.  Jimmy is an immature piece of shit, who, yes, just as his asshole brother said, destroys everything he touches. 

9 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

I think I may have actually gasped when Kim after her rant proposed they get married! I was sure she was going to pack up  her stuff and walk out and she would be out of the show at the end of this year.  Jimmy is an immature piece of shit, who, yes, just as his asshole brother said, destroys everything he touches. 

Yep. Chuck was always right. 

When Kim tells Jimmy it was about him winning, she hit it right on the nose.  It was never about helping Acker, or even Kim, but about Jimmy once again sticking it to 'the man' the Chucks of the world who will never accept him on his own terms, but then, Jimmy never really wanted this acceptance because every time he has a traditional chance at success he throws it away.  

2 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

Is this because in some US jurisdictions, a wife can't give evidence against her husband?

8 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

I'm not sure, but I don't think so, since no privilege would attach to anything that happened before the marriage

But, he would be free to discuss his crimes with her that he planned after the marriage?

6 minutes ago, SeanF said:

But, he would be free to discuss his crimes with her that he planned after the marriage?

I think so, but I'm not sure, as I understand it the modern interpretation makes the decision rest with the spouse, the spouse can't be compelled to testify about confidential info. disclosed during the marriage, but cannot be prevented either.  It will be interesting to see where they take this, it might give Kim a little leverage over Jimmy, but not much.  I still can't comprehend what possesses her to want to stay with someone who so clearly is happy to destroy everything she has built her entire life for an adrenaline rush.  I was all ready to get back on the Kim bandwagon until the last line.  

2 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

When Kim tells Jimmy it was about him winning, she hit it right on the nose.  It was never about helping Acker, or even Kim, but about Jimmy once again sticking it to 'the man' the Chucks of the world who will never accept him on his own terms, but then, Jimmy never really wanted this acceptance because every time he has a traditional chance at success he throws it away.  

The problem with her indignation in my opinion is that whole outrage is equally centered around how it effects her. She doesn't care about how Jimmy's actions were underhanded. She doesn't care about how they hurt her client, who has only been good to her.

She is upset because his actions made her look bad and awful at her job. Something she doesn't care about when Jimmy's actions do the same to other lawyers that stand in her way. She was perfectly willing to look the other way when Jimmy's actions hurt Chuck's reputation as it benefited her. She was absolutely complicit in helping Jimmy screw an ADA because it helped her. 

She only cares when she fears there might be pushback on her. She like Jimmy is only concerned about herself/himself. 

7 minutes ago, Minsc said:

The problem with her indignation in my opinion is that whole outrage is equally centered around how it effects her. She doesn't care about how Jimmy's actions were underhanded. She doesn't care about how they hurt her client, who has only been good to her.

She is upset because his actions made her look bad and awful at her job. Something she doesn't care about when Jimmy's actions do the same to other lawyers that stand in her way. She was perfectly willing to look the other way when Jimmy's actions hurt Chuck's reputation as it benefited her. She was absolutely complicit in helping Jimmy screw an ADA because it helped her. 

She only cares when she fears there might be pushback on her. She like Jimmy is only concerned about herself/himself. 

Yeah, maybe.  A more charitable read would be that she finally sees how destructive Jimmy's antics can be, and how uncontrollable he is once he gets going, but then, she should have seen that with the results of the Chuck scam.  I am definitely much less sympathetic to Kim than I once was, but she can still reel herself back in and learn some hard lessons.  Jimmy, even if we didn't have BB to tell us his future, is already a lost cause.

7 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Yeah, maybe.  A more charitable read would be that she finally sees how destructive Jimmy's antics can be, and how uncontrollable he is once he gets going, but then, she should have seen that with the results of the Chuck scam.  I am definitely much less sympathetic to Kim than I once was, but she can still reel herself back in and learn some hard lessons.  Jimmy, even if we didn't have BB to tell us his future, is already a lost cause.

If I'm correct about her motivation for proposing marriage, she may think that she can pull Saul back from his criminal activities, if he can discuss them freely with her. I think that she would be kidding herself, if that were the case.  

Jimmy/Saul simply enjoys corruption far too much. 

2 minutes ago, SeanF said:

If I'm correct about her motivation for proposing marriage, she may think that she can pull Saul back from his criminal activities, if he can discuss them freely with her. I think that she would be kidding herself, if that were the case.  

Jimmy/Saul simply enjoys corruption far too much. 

I hope that isn't the case because that would mean that Kim has completely lost all perspective, she's always had some blind spots where Jimmy is concerned, but marrying him to protect him from himself would be insane and then she would 100% be the author of her own destruction, in whatever form it comes. But, you are probably right that is her reasoning.

Archived