Better Call Saul -- Season 4 Better Get Emmy

SpaceChampion

9 minutes ago, DMC said:

I'm not sure about that - part of her (stated) argument for "taking" the job was to have a staff that can help her manage Mesa Verde to free her up more than one paralegal.

Sure.  But she isn't using her 'free' time to relax, take it easy, enjoy the fruits of her labor, she is taking on case after case of criminal client, so she's really doing what she has always done, work like a fiend.  The only difference is now instead of 200% at HHM, or 200% for MV, her 200% is split at 100% managing the banking group and 100%, maybe more on the bro bono stuff, but looks same/same to me. But then I am in the minority who isn't loving this season, it's my least favorite so far.

29 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

But then I am in the minority who isn't loving this season, it's my least favorite so far.

Nah I agree with ya there.  Almost the opposite of BB, which ramped up to an end.  This is limping.

41 minutes ago, DMC said:

Nah I agree with ya there.  Almost the opposite of BB, which ramped up to an end.  This is limping.

Yeah, I thought BB could [and should] have gone another season, but I really loved almost literally every episode of its run. 

Here, I think they have stretched it one season too long, with the intent to do 5 years, this year seems fairly superfluous, everyone pretty much is running in place and not doing much that is interesting.

ETA....it also feels a little off that Chuck dies and we will need 2 more seasons to get to "Saul"....while yeah, Kim was the 2nd pillar keeping slippin Jimmy from going full criminal, it seems like 1 season from Chuck's death to Saul would have been more realistic.  I also think the show somewhat suffers from Chuck's absence, the brothers tragic relationship was such a cornerstone.

I have liked this season as much as the others, I am one that likes seeing more of Gus and Mike though. Seems pretty clear that something is going to happen to Kim and that will be what sends Jimmy to the dark side for good. Not saying she dies but he will lose her from his life entirely because of some crap he pulls and that will be all it takes.  My only question is do we see Saul Goodman the lawyer this season or beginning of next season?

26 minutes ago, dbunting said:

I have liked this season as much as the others, I am one that likes seeing more of Gus and Mike though. Seems pretty clear that something is going to happen to Kim and that will be what sends Jimmy to the dark side for good. Not saying she dies but he will lose her from his life entirely because of some crap he pulls and that will be all it takes.  My only question is do we see Saul Goodman the lawyer this season or beginning of next season?

Despite the 'tell em Jimmy sent you' in the Saul scene, which could mean he's sending the assistant to Kim....it seems more likely and appropriate that she leaves ABQ, given Jimmy's depth of feeling for her, it would be hard to believe they would both continue to live totally separate lives in such a small city, it would seem more fitting that she leaves since we know he doesn't.

7 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Despite the 'tell em Jimmy sent you' in the Saul scene, which could mean he's sending the assistant to Kim....it seems more likely and appropriate that she leaves ABQ, given Jimmy's depth of feeling for her, it would be hard to believe they would both continue to live totally separate lives in such a small city, it would seem more fitting that she leaves since we know he doesn't.

It's worth noting that Saul was a side character for most of Breaking Bad and we were never really privy to his personal life.  Did we ever even see where he lives in Breaking Bad?

ETA: That said, I don't think Kim will be staying around in the city if she survives at all.

2 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Agreed in general.  As for the bolded - this is a question for everybody - did you hear that as an "em" or a "him?"  I heard it as a him, but never said my hearing was great.

33 minutes ago, dbunting said:

My only question is do we see Saul Goodman the lawyer this season or beginning of next season?

Feels like with the 5-minute montage opening accelerating the timeline to right before he gets his license back that we'll be seeing the advent of lawyer Saul in these last three episodes.  That's my hope at least, probably the finale.

Even with the time jump we're still around four years before Saul meets Walter according to Gillians statements before BCS started. So something has to go seriously wrong with the superlab to delay it that long. Also Mike's granddaughter has to get frozen in carbonite for a few years. 

I think it's been a really good season. Still worried about Kim, Nacho, and the goldfish making it out of this, though.

Seems like this is about to bubble up to the surface:

The character is not only layered and complex, Kim is someone who has dabbled in scammery with Jimmy — and proven herself to be rather adept at it. “She’s not a person who’s just there to be the voice of reason, or the voice of good, or the voice of balance,” continues Gould. “She is damn complicated in her own right, and these two people do things together that neither one of them would’ve done individually, and going back to Breaking Bad, there’s something about chemistry. These two elements mixed together make something new.”

Season 4 of AMC’s Breaking Bad prequel just might show you another new side of Kim that is complicit in the illicit. (Notes Saul co-creator Vince Gilligan of one scheme that will be run later this season: “It’s one small slip for Jimmy, one big one for Kim.”) “Her lines in the sand are bizarre,” Seehorn hints to EW, adding: “Not only does it never seem like foreign territory to her, she seems to recognize that in others. It’s not like she loved Jimmy despite him being a con. There’s something to her backstory.”

Odenkirk agrees, and he’s eager to explore her past. “The question is: is Jimmy this Svengali who’s making her do things she wouldn’t normally do? Or is it who she really is?” asks Odenkirk. “I believe she very much has this side of her. I’m always curious about her before we met her. What kind of crazy s— did she get up to? Because she was a natural and clicked into so quickly when Jimmy first came to her.”

https://ew.com/tv/2018/09/17/better-call-saul-creator-jimmy-saul-goodman-kim/

4 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

I couldn’t disagree more. This show is so much better than I thought it would be when I first heard the concept. 

I’m glad you’re enjoying it. The problem with me is that the show used to be slow moving, but Jimmy and Chuck were such an interesting dynamic that I didn’t care. Now, the plot has basically come to a complete halt and there’s no other storyline that could fill that void for me. The construction of the lab is pointless, Mike’s story was only interesting to me in season 1, Nacho is a pretty interesting character, but he’s underutilized, and Gus, despite how much I loved him in Breaking Bad, is boring. Anyway, I’ll keep watching, because it is a good show, but I wish it was better.

It's a very well crafted show but this season has been a little slow plotwise. It's not that I'm bored watching it but I was shocked to realize there are only two episodes left. 

8 minutes ago, Dragon in the North said:

The construction of the lab is pointless

In fairness I don't think we can say this until the season is over. I have faith they're going somewhere with it, and they haven't spent that much time on it so far. 

3 minutes ago, RumHam said:

In fairness I don't think we can say this until the season is over. I have faith they're going somewhere with it, and they haven't spent that much time on it so far. 

Yeah, that’s a fair point. The only thing I can think of happening is something that will bring Mike and Gus closer together. Their relationship right now is a little more distant than it is in Breaking Bad.

Its a beautiful show, well crafted, beautifully directed and written.

That said, I still feel this year, despite a few segments has been weak. 

Maybe the lab will build to something really interesting and surprising, I sure hope so, but I have doubts.

I also believe that Chuck's loss is huge, leaving a very big hole in the show's balance.

*I don't think they will kill Kim, but I want something more dramatic and interesting than that she stays at her new firm and cuts ties with Jimmy, I want her exit to be big, and happen in some way I have not anticipated.  I want Nacho to live!  Even have a happy ending maybe, get out of the cartel...

2 minutes ago, Dragon in the North said:

Yeah, that’s a fair point. The only thing I can think of happening is something that will bring Mike and Gus closer together. Their relationship right now is a little more distant than it is in Breaking Bad.

Right and Mike still hasn't crossed his "don't kill people who don't deserve it" line. 

I saw the finale is called "Wiedersehen." So something will happen with the Germans and hopefully Gene will meet someone from his past. probably Kim?

13 hours ago, RumHam said:

Right and Mike still hasn't crossed his "don't kill people who don't deserve it" line. 

I saw the finale is called "Wiedersehen." So something will happen with the Germans and hopefully Gene will meet someone from his past. probably Kim?

Maybe it's something the head German says to the rogue German when he knows his time has ended, until we "meet again"? 

I don't think Kim will die because it seems like that would truly change Jimmy to a much darker person. He wouldn't be the Saul we know from BB.

5 hours ago, dbunting said:

Maybe it's something the head German says to the rogue German when he knows his time has ended, until we "meet again"? 

I don't think Kim will die because it seems like that would truly change Jimmy to a much darker person. He wouldn't be the Saul we know from BB.

Yeah, but since we're presumably nearing the endgame here I suspect we'll get another Gene scene where he meets someone again. 

Archived