Joff saved Gregor's life

Kandrax

Confused?

Well, let see.

If Ned took black, Robb and Northern lords would stop waging war against Lannisters. But that would be meaningless to Riverlords, since Robb wouldn't be their lord, so he can't stop them from continuing war against Tywin. They will ask for compassion (hope spelled right), and it would be Greg's head.

25 minutes ago, Kandrax said:

compassion

Compensation?

26 minutes ago, Kandrax said:

Confused?

Well, let see.

If Ned took black, Robb and Northern lords would stop waging war against Lannisters. But that would be meaningless to Riverlords, since Robb wouldn't be their lord, so he can't stop them from continuing war against Tywin. They will ask for compassion (hope spelled right), and it would be Greg's head.

The Riverlords would be denied any such request. Ned's taking the black would have been a declaration of defeat. The Riverlands would hardly be able to wage a war against the Lannisters without the North (they were in a very desperate state before Robb arrived). And we've seen what happens when powerful allies demand Gregor's head. Oberyn just does that, and is ignored. The Lannisters certainly won't simply give in to that demand without there being some sort of advantage, or they're forced to.

Ned takes the black - the North backs down - the Riverlords are told they can be reaccepted into the King's peace if they swear fealty to Joffery.

16 hours ago, Shouldve Taken The Black said:

Compensation?

Well, english isn't my first language.

16 hours ago, Shouldve Taken The Black said:

Compensation?

The Riverlords would be denied any such request. Ned's taking the black would have been a declaration of defeat. The Riverlands would hardly be able to wage a war against the Lannisters without the North (they were in a very desperate state before Robb arrived). And we've seen what happens when powerful allies demand Gregor's head. Oberyn just does that, and is ignored. The Lannisters certainly won't simply give in to that demand without there being some sort of advantage, or they're forced to.

Ned takes the black - the North backs down - the Riverlords are told they can be reaccepted into the King's peace if they swear fealty to Joffery.

True. They still can demand gold from  Casterly Rock as compensation, though.

13 hours ago, Kandrax said:

Well, english isn't my first language.

Sure. I wasn't having a go, just making sure that's what you meant.

13 hours ago, Kandrax said:

They still can demand gold from  Casterly Rock as compensation, though.

They can demand it all they like, but they wouldn't be in a position to force the issue. Essentially, in your scenario they would have just been on the losing side of a very short war.

It does beg the question of whether Robb would simply pack up and go home after Ned was sent to the Wall though. If not, things may have simply played out much like they did at first. Less bitterness on the Starks' side could probably lead to a peace being negotiated at some point though.

1 hour ago, Unacosamedarisa said:

Tywin wouldn't have given Gregor up like that. Just like Tywin didn't give Gregor up to secure the Dornish alliance, but tried to fob them off with just Amory Lorch, who had already been eaten by a bear. 

Not to sidetrack the discussion, but I always thought that was a surprising decision  on Tywins part. Gregor was useful, sure, but it seemed odd to put the Dornish alliance in jeapody for his sake.

4 hours ago, Shouldve Taken The Black said:

Not to sidetrack the discussion, but I always thought that was a surprising decision  on Tywins part. Gregor was useful, sure, but it seemed odd to put the Dornish alliance in jeapody for his sake.

Me too. I would myself behead Gregor in his place. He is useful, but not neccesary. Any vassal can be ordered to pilage.

8 minutes ago, Kandrax said:

Me too. I would myself behead Gregor in his place. He is useful, but not neccesary. Any vassal can be ordered to pilage.

Although Gregor is bloody good at pillage and we should respect that.

It suggests a certain level of loyalty in Tywin towards his vassals though. 

Finding someone like Gregor Clegane who is also loyal seems to be a major boon for any lord and Tywin knows exactly how to use him. Gregor inspired fear everywhere he went and was still in prime form. The only way I see Tywin giving Gregor up is if Gregor became weak from a sickness or lost a limb, making him no longer as useful as a tool for Tywin.  

Archived