Company of the Rose

The Sleeper

I don't think there's any Tristifer issue at all in the book, looking at it. The Hammer of Justice is Tristifer IV, aka Tristifer the Fourth, and his unlucky son Tristifer the Last is the Fifth/V.

Okay, then I got confused about that one.

Do we know why the Durran tradition eventually faltered? For the Lannisters we have the weirdo Loreons, but there is nothing similar about the Durrans. Or is that change an Andal thing?

In relation to sellswords we do know the Teagues used some of those to claim the Riverlands. But they seem to have been imported from Essos, too, although not free companies from the later days but, presumably, Andal mercenaries.

4 minutes ago, The Grey Wolf said:

@Lord Varys

Can't be an Andal thing. We have Erich III and Monfryd I centuries before they arrive.

Oh, I meant them completely dropping the Durran thing - as they seem to be doing in the last years. Even back in First Men days they can't be all Durrans. Presumably some younger son, etc. took over back in those days, and one imagines not every king named all his sons Durran ;-).

8 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

Oh, I meant them completely dropping the Durran thing - as they seem to be doing in the last years. Even back in First Men days they can't be all Durrans. Presumably some younger son, etc. took over back in those days, and one imagines not every king named all his sons Durran ;-).

Honestly, the naming tradition and lost sources feel like in-universe excuses for the poor quality of the Stormlands material in comparison to the rest of the 7K.

I find the Vale less satisfying than the Stormlands considering so much focus is given to the blasted history of the Eyrie (yes, it is an interesting story, but one would have liked to learn more about the Arryns, especially Alyssa Arryn (we knew before there was a statue of hers in the 'godswood' of the Eyrie).

In the Stormlands there could have been much more about the Andals there, especially the period where they 'conquered' House Durrandon through marriage.

30 minutes ago, The Grey Wolf said:

For me it's the timeline gaps, the uninspired repetition of ideas used in previous sections, and there being too little variation regarding names. For example, millennia pass between Ormund III and Arlan I.

Variation of themes is a thing, but I actually think that's very intentional that we get a couple of kings whose castles are saddles, etc. because that's the way a great king in those eras would have ruled. There is not that much variation possible in this regard.

But on the whole the Seven Kingdoms deserve their own proper history, a history that actually recounts some of the wars of those kingdoms, and how they really rose and fell throughout the centuries. 

I like the distant past of the Stormlands but find it very odd that we know of their conflicts with the Children and very early Durrandon kings when we have no such stories about any of the other kingdoms, especially the North. The West also has many rural areas and could have had its own conflicts with the remaining children there, etc.

On 8/16/2018 at 7:33 AM, Corvo the Crow said:

Ironborn, you mean?

Brandon Sw never made it to Asshai or wherever else, GRRM told but there is one Ironborn who matches the Stark description, Sw's in particular; Farwynd of Lonely Light.

What if BSw's expedition was the first settlers of Isles and they resorted to salt wiving because they had no womenfolk?

This is one of the coolest explanations of the Ironborn origin I have heard.

11 hours ago, Legitimate_Bastard said:

Brandon set sail less than 1000 years ago.  Most likely around 600 years ago, judging by the order of statues in the crypts and some of Lord Manderly’s comments.

The Ironborn in contrast have plagued Westeros for thousands of years. So no.

19 hours ago, Legitimate_Bastard said:

7 hours ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

Brandon set sail less than 1000 years ago.  Most likely around 600 years ago, judging by the order of statues in the crypts and some of Lord Manderly’s comments.

The Ironborn in contrast have plagued Westeros for thousands of years. So no.

It's not a theory on the origin of ironborn, just a theory about one particular branch of a house that is of small significance and B. Shipwright. It's not a crackpot wrapped in tinfoil either, connections are there and they are not even hidden but in plain sight.

9 minutes ago, Corvo the Crow said:

It's not a theory on the origin of ironborn, just a theory about one particular branch of a house that is of small significance and B. Shipwright. It's not a crackpot wrapped in tinfoil either, connections are there and they are not even hidden but in plain sight.

Fair enough.

Archived