The books coming out in 2019

AncalagonTheBlack

2 hours ago, Jussi said:

Here is the blurb for Stephenson's Fall, or Dodge in Hell:

I think I love you. 

THANK YOU. 

I've been waiting for news on this book for what seems like nearly three years now!

In 2019, Saga Press Will Reintroduce the World to Award-Winning Writer Molly Gloss

Next year, Simon & Schuster’s Saga Press will reintroduce the world to a singular voice in speculative literature: Molly Gloss, the author of five novels and one (forthcoming) collection of stories. She has won the Oregon Book Award, a Pacific Northwest Booksellers Award, the PEN West Fiction Prize, the James Tiptree Jr. Award, and a Whiting Writers Award. Her short story, “Lambing Season” was a finalist for the Hugo and Nebula Awards. Her work often concerns the landscape, literature, mythology and life of the American West.

Despite her awards, this nationally bestselling author’s works have long been unavailable, but that changes next year—and it’s all thanks to Ursula K. Le Guin.

Just read a rave review from Kirkus about the upcoming Black Leopard Red Wolf book.

Man Booker Prize winner James (A Brief History of Seven Killings, 2014 etc.) brings his obsession with legend, history, and folklore into this first volume of a projected Dark Star Trilogy. Its title characters are mercenaries, one of whom is called Leopard for his shape-shifting ability to assume the identify of a predatory jungle cat and the other called Tracker for having a sense of smell keen enough to find anything (and anybody) lost in this Byzantine, often hallucinatory Dark Ages version of the African continent. “It has been said you have a nose,” Tracker is told by many, including a sybaritic slave trader who asks him and his partner to find a strange young boy who has been missing for three years. “Just as I wish him to be found,” he tells them, “surely there are those who wish him to stay hidden.” And this is only one of many riddles Tracker comes across, with and without Leopard, as the search takes him to many unusual and dangerous locales, including crowded metropolises, dense forests, treacherous waterways, and, at times, even the mercurial skies overhead. Leopard is besieged throughout his odyssey by vampires, witches, thieves, hyenas, trickster monkeys, and other fantastic beings. He also acquires a motley entourage of helpers, including Sadogo, a gentle giant who doesn’t like being called a giant, Mossi, a witty prefect who’s something of a wizard at wielding two swords at once, and even a wise buffalo, who understands and responds to human commands. The longer the search for this missing child continues, the broader its parameters. And the nature of this search is as fluid and unpredictable as the characters’ moods, alliances, identities, and even sexual preferences. You can sometimes feel as lost in the dizzying machinations and tangled backstories of this exotic universe as Tracker and company. But James’ sensual, beautifully rendered prose and sweeping, precisely detailed narrative cast their own transfixing spell upon the reader. He not only brings a fresh multicultural perspective to a grand fantasy subgenre, but also broadens the genre’s psychological and metaphysical possibilities.

If this first volume is any indication, James’ trilogy could become one of the most talked-about and influential adventure epics since George R.R. Martin’s A Song of Ice and Fire was transformed into Game of Thrones.

I have an ARC on the way, looking forward to it.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 10:36 AM, Calibandar said:

Just read a rave review from Kirkus about the upcoming Black Leopard Red Wolf book.

Hide contents

I have an ARC on the way, looking forward to it.

I need to stop getting so excited about this book but it's good to hear positive things already. It's sitting pre-ordered in the hope it gets mailed out as soon as they feasibly can next year.

• 4 weeks later...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-46372324

Margaret Atwood is writing a sequel to her novel The Handmaid's Tale, inspired by the state of the modern world.

The landmark 1985 book, about life under a totalitarian regime in the US, became a hit TV drama in 2017.

In a message, Atwood wrote: "Dear Readers, everything you've ever asked me about Gilead and its inner workings is the inspiration for this book.

"Well, almost everything! The other inspiration is the world we've been living in."

The sequel, to be titled The Testaments, will be published on 10 September 2019.

The Canadian author said it would be set 15 years after the end of the original book, which has become a feminist classic, and would be narrated by three female characters.

She didn't mention President Trump, but the press release noted that The Handmaid's Tale had become "a symbol of the movement against him, standing for female empowerment and resistance in the face of misogyny and the rolling back of women's rights around the world".

Spoiler

Neo-Nazi teeth gnashing commences in 5...4...3...

On 10/23/2018 at 10:15 AM, The Lasr Storm said:

Anyone really into the Red Rising books by Pierce Brown? His and Amberceombies books have done their best to fill the void that Martin has left.

Anyone eagerly awaiting Dark Age?

I enjoyed the Red Rising books. Fun, Warhammer 40k esque to a degree. The latest novel Iron Gold reminded me of why his writing can be dull sometimes though. The characters tend to blend together, or not be engaging at all.

The plots are fun, and I always want to see what comes next, but understand why some people can't get into him.

20 hours ago, redjako said:

I enjoyed the Red Rising books. Fun, Warhammer 40k esque to a degree. The latest novel Iron Gold reminded me of why his writing can be dull sometimes though. The characters tend to blend together, or not be engaging at all.

The plots are fun, and I always want to see what comes next, but understand why some people can't get into him.

Your point about the characters blending together is spot on. The first few books the story was really exciting, but it has slowed down a lot.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned The Resurrection of Gurm (anonymous) yet!  Highly anticipated scifi novel chronicling the resurrection and trial of a modern day salesman, G. Gurm, who must answer for his highly controversial bait and switch business tactics, in the year 2029.  As restitution for his offenses, Gurm's disgruntled customers seek to send him into a time loop in the year 2019 to rectify his wrongs.  However, ultra-zealous individuals known as Gurmsguards, past followers of Gurm's cult of personality, will stop at nothing to free the alleged from trial and assist him in his ascension to godhood.  TBA, 2019.

On 10/17/2018 at 4:14 PM, IlyaP said:

I think I love you. 

THANK YOU. 

I've been waiting for news on this book for what seems like nearly three years now!

No, that's just how long it will take to sift through the data dumps to find the plot or characters. 

I kid. I kid because I regret reading Readme and the Baroque Cycle and gave his last Mary Sue in outer space book a pass as well. What a waste of talent... 

Give me a new Lynch book or give me ... you know what, I'll politely wait another year I guess. 

• 1 month later...

According to a new Orion/Gollancz catalogue, Scott Lynch's The Thorn of Emberlain will be published in September 2020:

http://www.orionbooks.co.uk/assets/OrionPublishingGroup/downloads/Catalogues/Orion-Rights-Guide-Frankfurt-2018.pdf

Gollancz | September 2020 | 608pp | Ms due January 2020

On 11/30/2018 at 5:22 AM, IlyaP said:

Link requires a login and password...

Try this link:

http://www.orionbooks.co.uk/assets/OrionPublishingGroup/downloads/Catalogues/New-Orion-Spring-2019-catalogue.pdf

5 hours ago, Jussi said:

According to a new Orion/Gollancz catalogue, Scott Lynch's The Thorn of Emberlain will be published in September 2020:

http://www.orionbooks.co.uk/assets/OrionPublishingGroup/downloads/Catalogues/Orion-Rights-Guide-Frankfurt-2018.pdf

Gollancz | September 2020 | 608pp | Ms due January 2020

Try this link:

http://www.orionbooks.co.uk/assets/OrionPublishingGroup/downloads/Catalogues/New-Orion-Spring-2019-catalogue.pdf

That sounds more like a placeholder in the sense they don't have to worry about postponing this announcement for at least a year. I'm sure both the publisher and author are putting that date down in good faith but it's not like Gollancz are going to close the door on lynch if he doesn't hit the January deadline in near pristine "this doesn't need much editing" fashion. At least it's so far off I don't need to bother getting excited for some time yet.

Robert Jordan's first novel Warrior of the Altaii will be published in October:

https://www.tor.com/2019/01/18/robert-jordan-warrior-of-the-altaii-coming-from-tor-books-in-2019/

https://www.amazon.com/Warrior-Altaii-Robert-Jordan/dp/1250247659/

Epic fantasy legend, and author of #1 New York Times bestselling series The Wheel of Time®, Robert Jordan's never-before published novel, Warrior of the Altaii:

Draw near and listen, or else time is at an end.

The watering holes of the Plain are drying up, the fearsome fanghorn grow more numerous, and bad omens abound. Wulfgar, a leader of the Altaii people, must contend with twin queens, warlords, prophets and magic in hopes of protecting his people and securing their future. Elspeth, a visitor from another world, holds the answers, but first Wulfgaar must learn to ask the right questions.

But what if the knowledge that saves the Altaii will also destroy them?

On 11/30/2018 at 1:01 PM, Frey Filet said:

I'm surprised no one has mentioned The Resurrection of Gurm (anonymous) yet!  Highly anticipated scifi novel chronicling the resurrection and trial of a modern day salesman, G. Gurm, who must answer for his highly controversial bait and switch business tactics, in the year 2029.  As restitution for his offenses, Gurm's disgruntled customers seek to send him into a time loop in the year 2019 to rectify his wrongs.  However, ultra-zealous individuals known as Gurmsguards, past followers of Gurm's cult of personality, will stop at nothing to free the alleged from trial and assist him in his ascension to godhood.  TBA, 2019.

Are you really surprised?

First installment of Book Prize winner Marlon James's new African Fantasy Dark Star series, Black Leopard, Red Wolf, has been spotted in some bookstores.

Another sign the novel's here? a NYer profile piece; it must have been a challenge to write something more, past what the NYer, the NY Times Magazine and so many others have already had written about him.  The answer was to talk with Marlon's family, which,, presumably, had been off limits previously, as one speculates then, since none of this was part of the many other previously published pieces about him I've read over the years.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019/01/28/why-marlon-james-decided-to-write-an-african-game-of-thrones

2 hours ago, Triskele said:

Are you guys all going to get this and read it or are you cowards? 

Uhm, what? 

Whhyyy are you invoking the argumentum ad logicam (otherwise known as the bad reasons fallacy) in a provocational manner, like some kind of wanna-be edgelord?

Archived