AncalagonTheBlack

The books coming out in 2019

2 hours ago, Jussi said:

Here is the blurb for Stephenson's Fall, or Dodge in Hell:

I think I love you. 

THANK YOU. 

I've been waiting for news on this book for what seems like nearly three years now!

In 2019, Saga Press Will Reintroduce the World to Award-Winning Writer Molly Gloss

Next year, Simon & Schuster’s Saga Press will reintroduce the world to a singular voice in speculative literature: Molly Gloss, the author of five novels and one (forthcoming) collection of stories. She has won the Oregon Book Award, a Pacific Northwest Booksellers Award, the PEN West Fiction Prize, the James Tiptree Jr. Award, and a Whiting Writers Award. Her short story, “Lambing Season” was a finalist for the Hugo and Nebula Awards. Her work often concerns the landscape, literature, mythology and life of the American West.

Despite her awards, this nationally bestselling author’s works have long been unavailable, but that changes next year—and it’s all thanks to Ursula K. Le Guin.

Just read a rave review from Kirkus about the upcoming Black Leopard Red Wolf book.

Man Booker Prize winner James (A Brief History of Seven Killings, 2014 etc.) brings his obsession with legend, history, and folklore into this first volume of a projected Dark Star Trilogy. Its title characters are mercenaries, one of whom is called Leopard for his shape-shifting ability to assume the identify of a predatory jungle cat and the other called Tracker for having a sense of smell keen enough to find anything (and anybody) lost in this Byzantine, often hallucinatory Dark Ages version of the African continent. “It has been said you have a nose,” Tracker is told by many, including a sybaritic slave trader who asks him and his partner to find a strange young boy who has been missing for three years. “Just as I wish him to be found,” he tells them, “surely there are those who wish him to stay hidden.” And this is only one of many riddles Tracker comes across, with and without Leopard, as the search takes him to many unusual and dangerous locales, including crowded metropolises, dense forests, treacherous waterways, and, at times, even the mercurial skies overhead. Leopard is besieged throughout his odyssey by vampires, witches, thieves, hyenas, trickster monkeys, and other fantastic beings. He also acquires a motley entourage of helpers, including Sadogo, a gentle giant who doesn’t like being called a giant, Mossi, a witty prefect who’s something of a wizard at wielding two swords at once, and even a wise buffalo, who understands and responds to human commands. The longer the search for this missing child continues, the broader its parameters. And the nature of this search is as fluid and unpredictable as the characters’ moods, alliances, identities, and even sexual preferences. You can sometimes feel as lost in the dizzying machinations and tangled backstories of this exotic universe as Tracker and company. But James’ sensual, beautifully rendered prose and sweeping, precisely detailed narrative cast their own transfixing spell upon the reader. He not only brings a fresh multicultural perspective to a grand fantasy subgenre, but also broadens the genre’s psychological and metaphysical possibilities.

If this first volume is any indication, James’ trilogy could become one of the most talked-about and influential adventure epics since George R.R. Martin’s A Song of Ice and Fire was transformed into Game of Thrones.

I have an ARC on the way, looking forward to it.

Anyone really into the Red Rising books by Pierce Brown? His and Amberceombies books have done their best to fill the void that Martin has left.

Anyone eagerly awaiting Dark Age?

On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 10:36 AM, Calibandar said:

Just read a rave review from Kirkus about the upcoming Black Leopard Red Wolf book.

Hide contents

I have an ARC on the way, looking forward to it.

I need to stop getting so excited about this book but it's good to hear positive things already. It's sitting pre-ordered in the hope it gets mailed out as soon as they feasibly can next year.