If the Starks did the RW to the Freys?

honorable men

3 hours ago, Kandrax said:

I can't aggree with that. This way of thinking never brought anything good.  Does this include innocent children?

Well all adults at the very least. The kids should be regarded as innocent, but I'm not sure if that is a distinction that would be made in-univers. 

This is one of the reasons I think the Red Wedding was a dumb idea on Walders part. The crime is so heinous that every Frey with be at risk of videlate "justice" for the foreseeable future no matter how innocent of the crime that individual might be.

Ideally the Red Wedding would investigated by a impartial tribunal only the accualt guilty would be punished but given that impartial justice doesn't seem like something most Westerosi care about it won't happen.

3 hours ago, Kandrax said:

Using that logic, are all Germans (even children) outlaws thanks to Hitler, or Croats thanks to Pavelic, or Serbs thanks to Milosevic?

I was talking about in-univers morality and law.

IMHO this is a worthwhile subject but it talking about it extensively here on this forum might just derail the discussion.

Short answer: No because among other reason making someone a "outlaw" isn't something we can or should do in our world. But Westero is very different place.

14 hours ago, honorable men said:

Would people share the same hatred to the Freys(boltons&lannisters) to the Starks instead? or is there some double standard here?

A strange paradoxical question. The whole point of the Starks is that they don’t do stuff like this (at least not Ned, Cat, Robb and Jon, the others, it’s too soon to tell). The whole point of the Freys is that they do. There’s no double standard. There’s one standard. The Starks live up to it and the Freys don’t.

5 hours ago, Ylath's Snout said:

This is one of the reasons I think the Red Wedding was a dumb idea on Walders part. The crime is so heinous that every Frey with be at risk of videlate "justice" for the foreseeable future no matter how innocent of the crime that individual might be.

Aggree with you. Personally, i think that children, not Northmen are biggest victims of RW. North always can regain its power, but Frey children, no matter what they do, will be looked down because of what their ancestors did.

7 minutes ago, Kandrax said:

Personally, i think that children, not Northmen are biggest victims of RW. North always can regain its power, but Frey children, no matter what they do, will be looked down because of what their ancestors did.

I don't know about that. Sure it would be really really hard but the members of House Frey that didn't have anything to do with the Red Wedding, like the children, could redeem themselves and their House in the eyes of the Seven Kingdoms.

You can't undo all those deaths. Sure there are resurrections but going by Lady Stoneheart that does seem like a fate worse than death.

But your point is still correct. The Red Wedding endangers a lot of Freys that had nothing to do with it.

On 8/16/2018 at 3:21 PM, honorable men said:

Would people share the same hatred to the Freys(boltons&lannisters) to the Starks instead? or is there some double standard here?

It depends on who you are asking.  Ask a Stark fan there is going to be some double standards going on.  A Stark hater and even someone neutral will not have double standards, both actions are the same regardless of who perpetrated it.

On 8/17/2018 at 7:02 AM, Nevets said:

The Starks would need a complete personality transplant to even consider it.  That is why it was so successful in the first place.  It never even occurred to the Starks that anybody would do such a thing.

As for one done in revenge, as a Stark fan I would be quite disappointed.  If it was wrong when the Freys did it, and it was, it is still wrong if Stoneheart & co. do it.

It certainly occurred to Catelyn

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/16/2018 at 12:21 PM, honorable men said:

Tony Stark and the rest of the clan would have a really good reason and wouldn't violate the guest right so no.  

Archived