Was Robert too lenient with Ned over Tyrion's abduction?

Varysblackfyre321

Having just recently re-read  the conversation between Robert, and Ned regarding Tyrion being abducted it suddenly dawned on me; Robert is making clear to House Lanister he's not going to treat this issue as seriously as it should be, he didn't give an ultimatum to Ned, on it, to where it's clear should he let Tyrion go there will be major consequences and went as far as to have Ned as hand even after having made clear he desires to hunt House lanisters favorite son;basiclly giving great motivation for House Lanister to seek the release of one of their sons through illegal means given Robert shown he cannot be trusted to act accordingly here.

Also interesting thing to note; in this conversation Robert says Rheagar has Lyanna now while he he has Cersi; kinda gives hint Robert suspects deep down she was not kidnapped imo.

9 hours ago, Skahaz mo Kandaq said:

I am not so sure if Robert was even actually interested in the truth.  All he wants is to clean up the mess and sweep it under the rug.  Who tried to kill Bran?  Was Tyrion guilty or not?  He just wants it all to go away rather than taking the time to determine what happened.

This

Robert even goes away on that insanely long hunt to avoid choosing between ned and cersei back in the capital...hes a head in the sand kinda dude 

No, I think he was trying to resolve an explosive situation between his Hand and best friend and his Queen and her family. Not to say he went about it exactly the best way, but I don't think he had any reason to think that a harsher response to Ned would have led to better consequences. And it is not as though he didn't command Ned to have Tyrion released and make peace with Jaime, naive a command as that was.

17 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Also interesting thing to note; in this conversation Robert says Rheagar has Lyanna now while he he has Cersi; kinda gives hint Robert suspects deep down she was not kidnapped imo.

Yes, I think that statement is pretty telling. It is not the sort of thing you say about the man you believe raped her to death.

17 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

This was the strongest hint that Robert may have known a lot more than the kidnapping/rape story he had been peddling. I'm sure most people in Westeros don't believe that story anyway.

With regard to the way Robert dealt with things. I think this may have been the first time (or second if we look at the situation at Darry) since he became king where he had to deal with issues. He was not what one would call a hands-on king. If there had been a situation like this one when Jon Arryn was alive, I'm sure Jon Arryn would have been the one to deal with it. 

10 hours ago, Bael's Bastard said:

ying to resolve an explosive situation between his Hand and best friend and his Queen and her family. Not to say he went about it exactly the best way, but I don't think he had any reason to think that a harsher response to Ned would have led to better consequences. And it is not as though he didn't command Ned to have Tyrion released and make peace with Jaime, naive a command as that was.

On August 16, 2018 at 3:07 PM, Varysblackfyre321 said:

He did command Ned to release Tyrion, but the way he actually went about it seemed more he's talking to Ned as a friend, not a superior, Ned should be aware should he refuse Robert will not let it goa at the very least, don't have him on as hand after he proffesed to wanting to hunt Jaimie Lanister in front of his sister ; after such a display, House Lanister could not fully expect the crown to deliver justice over this crime; it should surprise no one that they decided to settle by acting outside the proper legal channels; the crown has shown little reason to trust it in this instance. 

I honestly don't see making Ned promise to make peace with Jaimie and release Tyrion(Robert's brother in law), is naive, they're totally sensible.

9 hours ago, Widow's Watch said:

With regard to the way Robert dealt with things. I think this may have been the first time (or second if we look at the situation at Darry) since he became king where he had to deal with issues. He was not what one would call a hands-on king. If there had been a situation like this one when Jon Arryn was alive, I'm sure Jon Arryn would have been the one to deal with it. 

I would count Robert's blocking of Slynt's removal, and the greyjoy rebellion as examples of him dealing with issuess as a king. Oh and the time he blocked  Stannis' proposal to ban prostitution(it's honestly befuddling he actually tried this). I think his actual involvement in governing the realm was scant, but not as scant as people picture. 

9 hours ago, Widow's Watch said:

This was the strongest hint that Robert may have known a lot more than the kidnapping/rape story he had been peddling. I'm sure most people in Westeros don't believe that story anyway.

I'm sure most Targyen loyalists or sympathizes(to which there are plenty still after 2 decades),  would. Cant say for the majority of Westeroes; truth be told it's not something I can see having much relevance today to have an opinion on. 

It was a very sensitive and volatile matter that could and would lead to war. You had The Warden of the North claiming he ordered his wife who is the daughter of the Lord Paramount of the Riverlands kidnap the son of the Warden of the West then take him to her sister who was the Regent ruler of the Vale and mother of the Warden of the East. It was a multi Kingdom crisis but Bob thought of it and dealt with it as if it was a family dispute. The situation would have been hard to fix even if Bob had been a good King.

On 8/16/2018 at 5:07 PM, Varysblackfyre321 said:

I think he's using it strictly in the sense of possession. His marriage to Cersei isn't a matter of love, Jon Arryn told him to do it to bring Tywin Lannister into the fold, and Tywin told his daughter to marry Robert for the same reason. Robert is still stewing over his loss of Lyanna, unfavorably comparing Cersei to her, and maintaining a hatred of Rhaegar that in the present Ned finds surprising. Robert is just blaming Rhaegar* for the problems in Robert's own marriage while feeling sorry for himself.

*He could try to shift blame to Jon Arryn, but since Robert actually still feels fondly toward his foster-father that would involve some cognitive dissonance. Easier to blame Rhaegar so Robert can at least feel good about killing him at the Trident.

Archived