Jump to content
honeyed chicken

New Elimination Game, 2

Recommended Posts

I see the last EG finished in February. The sticking point may be good topics?

Here are a few that came to me yesterday:

- most evil humanoid being. Or it could be evil being I'd least like to face.  The downside is that I can come up with 8 or 10 fairly quickly but I doubt there's 30 or even 20.

- favorite LOTR character other than Frodo or Gandalf or Aragorn. Perhaps this has been done and I'm forgetting?

- best TV show with a female lead. I can think of five without trying too hard, so I think we could come up with a full list.

- favorite Sean Bean death scene. There's a YT that has all of his death scenes compiled. It's like 60 scenes or something outrageous.

- favorite movie in the Marvel franchise.

- best movie/TV adaptation of a fantasy/scifi book.

If anybody needs/wants to see the elimination game rules, let me know and I'll dig them up and run them in a subsequent post.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, The EnglishBear said:

I'm cool with doing a LotR one.

I think best debut album might be a good one for consideration.

I like best debut album . . . although we might run into that old generational thing - again. That is the last debut album I noticed was back in the '80's.

55 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

Lotr (though aragorn should really be included) 

Sure. I mean, we could include all of the characters, but it would seem to me to be too predictable (that it would come down to Frodo v. Gandalf) - but I've been waaaaay wrong on these things before.

22 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Most loathsome villain/antagonist (more or less what you said in your first suggestion really)

I considered that, but figured we might have done something along those lines in the past? I would certainly enjoy it if we took all the biggest villains from scifi/fantasy/comic books etc. That's where I'll put my vote.

- LOTR character; 3

- most loathsome villain/antagonist: 2

- Sean Bean death scenes: 1

- best debut album: 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, honeyed chicken said:

I like best debut album . . . although we might run into that old generational thing - again. That is the last debut album I noticed was back in the '80's.

Sure. I mean, we could include all of the characters, but it would seem to me to be too predictable (that it would come down to Frodo v. Gandalf) - but I've been waaaaay wrong on these things before.

I considered that, but figured we might have done something along those lines in the past? I would certainly enjoy it if we took all the biggest villains from scifi/fantasy/comic books etc. That's where I'll put my vote.

- LOTR character; 3

- most loathsome villain/antagonist: 2

- Sean Bean death scenes: 1

- best debut album: 1

In many fan polls, at least bookwise, Sam is very often the favourite actually.

I thought the loathsome villain/antagonist was a good one because it’s a broad category that could include non-SF/F characters, of which there are an abundance of despicable ones. I have my nomination in mind already ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

In many fan polls, at least bookwise, Sam is very often the favourite actually.

I thought the loathsome villain/antagonist was a good one because it’s a broad category that could include non-SF/F characters, of which there are an abundance of despicable ones. I have my nomination in mind already ;) 

Would love to see that list. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Best TV show with a female lead. There are lots of those, some of which are among my all-time favorite shows, so we should be able to come up with a pretty long list.

The one with evil humanoid beings is a bit vague, what does that mean? Does it include humans? In that case, that would be too broad.

The Sean Bean death scene one just screams "let's get spoiled on a bunch of movies and shows that aren't LOTR or GoT!"

(Incidentally, 4 out of the 5 roles of his I can think off the top of my head that aren't LOTR or GoT are roles where he does not die.)

Edited by Annara Snow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Incidentally, TV shows with a female lead I can think of off the top of my head, whether I like them or not:

  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer (aka best show ever) :bowdown:
  • Jessica Jones :bowdown:
  • Agent Carter :bowdown:
  • Veronica Mars :bowdown:
  • Xena the Warrior Princess
  • Prime Suspect (the original, UK one, with Helen Mirren) :bowdown:
  • The Good Place
  • Dietland
  • Sharp Objects
  • Supergirl (not a fan though... CW DC shows are generally blah)
  • Damages
  • Weeds
  • Murphy Brown (here's an older one)
  • Cagney and Lacey (ditto)
  • Silent Witness (that one actually change their leads, but both were female)
  • iZombie
  • Crazy Ex-Girlfriend (haven't seen that one)
  • Wynonna Earp (haven't seen that one either)
  • Jane the Virgin (that one neither)
  • Ugly Betty (blah)
  • Desperate Housewives (giant blah)
  • Fringe
  • Sanctuary
  • Blindspot
  • Lost Girl (seen a bit of it, it was so-so)

I could probably come up with a bunch of others if I thought about it for a bit more.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sabrina, the Teenage Witch :P

Golden Girls, Orange is the New Black (do Leads count?)

True Blood (The books are more Sookie focused)

Alias

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

some more:

My So-Called Life (I loved that show, how did I forget about it)

Homeland

Revenge

La Femme Nikita

Nikita (those are two different shows)

Orphan Black

Felicity (I must have repressed my memories of that show - boy, did that go bad)

Timeless (haven't seen it, but it seems to have a big fandom)

Edited by Annara Snow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, The EnglishBear said:

 

Golden Girls, Orange is the New Black (do Leads count?)

Why not?

Damages and Cagney and Lacey also have multiple (well, just 2) leads.

Also, in the same vein, GLOW.

ETA: more:

The Handmaid's Tale

Big Little Lies

Dollhouse (another show I loved)

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles

Outlander (though the male lead is pretty much the deuteragonist of almost the same importance, so I don't know it it counts)

Edited by Annara Snow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Annara Snow said:

Why not?

Damages and Cagney and Lacey also have multiple (well, just 2) leads.

Also, in the same vein, GLOW.

ETA: more:

The Handmaid's Tale

Big Little Lies

Dollhouse (another show I loved)

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles

Outlander (though the male lead is pretty much the deuteragonist of almost the same importance, so I don't know it it counts)

I'm really glad someone else is interested in this topic. I figured if I who watch almost no TV at all could come up with five without trying - the more TV savvy could come up with many.

Here's the five (plus one) I had:

- I Love Lucy: The Lucille Ball Show

- Bewitched (the original with Elizabeth Montgomery)

- The Good Wife

- One Day at a Time

- Buffy (mentioned previously)

- I Dream of Jeannie (I'm seriously dating myself with these)

 

As to the villains topic, to me that means guys like Sauron, Voldemort, The Wicked Witch of the West, the Joker, and so on.

 

I love your sig line, Annara. It's perfect! :rofl:

 

 

Edited by honeyed chicken

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Orphan Black

Killing Eve

Marvelous Mrs Maisel

It's weird I forgot about Killing Eve, I started watching that show last week.

How to Get Away with Murder

Scandal

The Crown

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Annara Snow said:

Incidentally, TV shows with a female lead I can think of off the top of my head, whether I like them or not:

  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer (aka best show ever) :bowdown:
  • Jessica Jones :bowdown:
  • Agent Carter :bowdown:
  • Veronica Mars :bowdown:
  • Xena the Warrior Princess
  • Prime Suspect (the original, UK one, with Helen Mirren) :bowdown:
  • The Good Place
  • Dietland
  • Sharp Objects
  • Supergirl (not a fan though... CW DC shows are generally blah)
  • Damages
  • Weeds
  • Murphy Brown (here's an older one)
  • Cagney and Lacey (ditto)
  • Silent Witness (that one actually change their leads, but both were female)
  • iZombie
  • Crazy Ex-Girlfriend (haven't seen that one)
  • Wynonna Earp (haven't seen that one either)
  • Jane the Virgin (that one neither)
  • Ugly Betty (blah)
  • Desperate Housewives (giant blah)
  • Fringe
  • Sanctuary
  • Blindspot
  • Lost Girl (seen a bit of it, it was so-so)

I could probably come up with a bunch of others if I thought about it for a bit more.

 

 

  • Big Little Lies
  • Dark Angel
  • Orphan Black...

(EDIT)More

  • Girlfriend's Guide to Divorce 
  • Westworld (? some could argue)
  • Sex and the City 
  • Veronica Mars

I could seriously keep going.  But I like many of the other options as well. :)

Edited by Jez Bell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×