New Elimination Game, 2

honeyed chicken

1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Ooh how did I forget Parks and Rec?! Ugh, this is a tricky list to narrow down. Much as I dislike the qualification EG it may be needed.

I've already refrained from adding stuff like the Americans just to try and narrow it down a bit. 

But I added Penny Dreadful into my list because that is definitely a show with a female lead, and you know, I'm rather obsessed still :P

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt is another.. 

I don't think we should include shows that have co-leads, one male and one female (like The Americans, The X-Files...) or shows that have multiple protagonists of both sexes and it's debatable who, if anyone, is the main character (Agents of SHIELD, Legends of Tomorrow...).

We have a lot of shows anyway, just with those with one, two or multiple female leads and no male leads.

4 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

That list uses a pretty broad definition of "comedy". Some of these aren't exactly comedies, more like dramedies. If those are 'comedies', then we should also include, say, Xena. It was campy and often funny and didn't take itself too seriously, but it also could get quite dark. Also Buffy, for instance, probably had a lot more humor than many of these, but that sure doesn't make it a comedy.

At least the list has reminded me of Dead Like Me. 

Dividing shows into genres is generally tricky, with so many of them falling in between. 

Here's our current list of nominees:

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Jessica Jones 

Agent Carter 

Veronica Mars 

Xena the Warrior Princess

Prime Suspect (the original, UK one, with Helen Mirren) 

The Good Place

Dietland

Sharp Objects

Supergirl

Damages

Weeds

Murphy Brown

Cagney and Lacey

Silent Witness

iZombie

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend

Wynonna Earp

Jane the Virgin

Ugly Betty

Desperate Housewives

Fringe

Sanctuary

Blindspot

Lost Girl

Sabrina, the Teenage Witch

Golden Girls

Orange is the New Black

True Blood

Alias

My So-Called Life

Homeland

Revenge

La Femme Nikita

Nikita

Orphan Black

Felicity

Timeless

Killing Eve

Marvelous Mrs Maisel

The Handmaid's Tale

Big Little Lies

Dollhouse

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles

Outlander

I Love Lucy: The Lucille Ball Show

Bewitched

The Good Wife

One Day at a Time

I Dream of Jeannie

How to Get Away with Murder

Scandal

The Crown

Girlfriend's Guide to Divorce 

Westworld (? some could argue)

Sex and the City

GLOW

Dark Angel

Once upon a time

PLL 

Gossip girl 

Charmed 

The 100

Gilmore Girls 

Fuller house

Powerpuff girls 

Ally McBeal

Charlies Angels

Laverne and Shirley

Scream Queens

The Mary Tyler Moore Show

Veep

Wonder Woman

Madam Secretary

Penny Dreadful

Call the Midwife

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

Parks and Rec

Girls

I count 79 shows on our list. Let's stop adding shows right there so we can move this along, OK?

We have a bit of disagreement on how next to proceed. My suggestion would be for all interested spammers to vote for no more than 30 shows to be included in the game, and see how things look at that point. If the votes are falling for a pretty small group out of that horde, we can by pass a preliminary round and just do a regular EG. If the votes are more scattered - and there's no clear 30 - then we could add an elimination round. Does that sound OK?

58 minutes ago, Annara Snow said:

That list uses a pretty broad definition of "comedy". Some of these aren't exactly comedies, more like dramedies. If those are 'comedies', then we should also include, say, Xena. It was campy and often funny and didn't take itself too seriously, but it also could get quite dark. Also Buffy, for instance, probably had a lot more humor than many of these, but that sure doesn't make it a comedy.

At least the list has reminded me of Dead Like Me.

Dividing shows into genres is generally tricky, with so many of them falling in between. 

I agree. I also don't know the majority of them, I just wanted to make a point that there are enough shows that can be considered a comedy to make a full game of them.

49 minutes ago, honeyed chicken said:

I count 79 shows on our list. Let's stop adding shows right there so we can move this along, OK?

We have a bit of disagreement on how next to proceed. My suggestion would be for all interested spammers to vote for no more than 30 shows to be included in the game, and see how things look at that point. If the votes are falling for a pretty small group out of that horde, we can by pass a preliminary round and just do a regular EG. If the votes are more scattered - and there's no clear 30 - then we could add an elimination round. Does that sound OK?

Ok, agreed.

I don't know most of these but will do the best I can. ;)

Bewitched

The Good Wife

The Mary Tyler Moore Show

Wonder Woman

Dollhouse

Buffy

Charlie's Angels

Once Upon a Time

Jessica Jones

Nakita

Prime Suspect

Murphy Brown

Cagney & Lacey

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles

Madam Secretary

9 hours ago, honeyed chicken said:

We may not need two lists. Vote for up to 30 of these, and we'll see.

Just count the lists already posted. ;) Otherwise everybody is going to lose interest before the game even officially starts.

4 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

Just count the lists already posted. ;) Otherwise everybody is going to lose interest before the game even officially starts.

OK.

Will do in a few minutes and edit in the results here.

With six voting (Annara, Helena, Jez, RB, Buck, me), I'll start by counting the shows that got no votes:

14 got zero

Shows with one vote:

37 got one.

Shows with two votes:

16 got two.

Shows with three votes:

10 got three.

Shows with four votes:

2 got four votes.

If we make a list from the shows with two or more votes we have 28 shows to chose from. Is that acceptable to everybody? List to follow.

Here's our 30:

1. Bewitched
  2. Big Little Lies
  3. Buffy the Vampire Slayer
  4. Charlies Angels
  5. Crazy Ex-Girlfriend
  6. Dollhouse
  7. Gilmore Girls
  8. I Love Lucy: The Lucille Ball Show
  9. iZombie
  10. Jane the Virgin
  11. Jessica Jones
  12. Killing Eve
  13. La Femme Nikita
  14. Marvelous Mrs Maisel
  15. Nikita
  16. Once Upon a Time
  17.  Orange is the New Black
  18. Orphan Black
  19. Outlander
  20. Prime Suspect (UK)
  21. Sharp Objects
  22. Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles
  23. The Crown
  24. The Good Place
  25. The Good Wife
  26. The Handmaid's Tale
  27. The Mary Tyler Moore Show
  28. Veronica Mars 
  29. Wonder Woman
  30. Xena the Warrior Princess

OK, with this edit, we're up to 30 - Gilmore Girls and Once Upon a Time have been added. Some others were mentioned (The 100 and Charmed - which each got 1 vote; and Parks & Rec - which got none) but not as emphatically as the first two.

Unless there are any further objections, let the hurting and healing begin!

I have the same problem as before. I have never heard of 10 of these while some serious classics are missing. 

gilmore Girls and charmed and once upon a time went on for 7-8 years and the first two even got a reboot (however crappy they may be).

I would at least fill it up to 30 with those. 

On the other hand, Buckwheat is right, I wouldn’t delay the game any longer  So I can live with this too. 

28 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

I have the same problem as before. I have never heard of 10 of these while some serious classics are missing. 

gilmore Girls and charmed and once upon a time went on for 7-8 years and the first two even got a reboot (however crappy they may be).

I would at least fill it up to 30 with those. 

On the other hand, Buckwheat is right, I wouldn’t delay the game any longer  So I can live with this too. 

I watched a little bit of Gilmore Girls. I can give it the second vote if you want.

Out of those you voted,  I've also watched a bit of Once Upon a Time (most of the first 3 seasons - started losing interest after that) and I've very recently started to watch The 100. I'm at episode 5, it's starting to get good. I could vote for one of them. 

1 hour ago, honeyed chicken said:

Here's our 28:

1. Bewitched
  2. Big Little Lies
  3. Buffy the Vampire Slayer
  4. Charlies Angels
  5. Crazy Ex-Girlfriend
  6. Dollhouse
  7. I Love Lucy: The Lucille Ball Show
  8. iZombie
  9. Jane the Virgin
  10. Jessica Jones
  11. Killing Eve
  12. La Femme Nikita
  13. Marvelous Mrs Maisel
  14. Nikita
  15.  Orange is the New Black
  16. Orphan Black
  17. Outlander
  18. Prime Suspect (the original, UK one, with Helen Mirren) 
  19. Sharp Objects
  20. Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles
  21. The Crown
  22. The Good Place
  23. The Good Wife
  24. The Handmaid's Tale
  25. The Mary Tyler Moore Show
  26. Veronica Mars 
  27. Wonder Woman
  28. Xena the Warrior Princess

Unless there are any major objections, let the hurting and healing begin!

I think you can start writing Prime Suspect as just Prime Suspect. ;) or Prime Suspect (UK) just to make sure it's clear it's not the US remake.

I'm sad that Agent Carter, My So-Called Life and Damages didn't get a second vote. Those were really good shows.

But since I only voted for 21 or 22 shows, is it OK if I vote for couple more that I've seen some of, which would give them 2 votes and get them the final 2 spots?

Out of the shows other people voted that didn't get in - I've seen some of Gilmore Girls and Once Upon a Time and I've recently started The 100.

I think out of those, I would vote for Gilmore Girls and The 100 to give them the last 2 spots. Is that OK?

48 minutes ago, Annara Snow said:

I think you can start writing Prime Suspect as just Prime Suspect. ;) or Prime Suspect (UK) just to make sure it's clear it's not the US remake.

I'm sad that Agent Carter, My So-Called Life and Damages didn't get a second vote. Those were really good shows.

But since I only voted for 21 or 22 shows, is it OK if I vote for couple more that I've seen some of, which would give them 2 votes and get them the final 2 spots?

Out of the shows other people voted that didn't get in - I've seen some of Gilmore Girls and Once Upon a Time and I've recently started The 100.

I think out of those, I would vote for Gilmore Girls and The 100 to give them the last 2 spots. Is that OK?

Yes, unfortunately, Agent Carter, My So-Called Life, and Damages only got the vote you gave them.

Gilmore Girls was a pretty unanimous add for 29th spot, and Once Upon a Time seemed a clear choice for #30. Hope no one's sad The 100 got left off?

Archived