George answers my question. Kind of.

SFDanny

I've been spending the last few days at Worldcon, and before that attending the Locus event in Redwood City. My first Worldcon, and it has been lots of fun in an exhausting sort of way. I can't go to all the events I'd like, and need to rest between them. Driving down from beautiful San Francisco to San Jose each day and back doesn't help. Next Worldcon it is worth paying for a room at the convention. Lesson learned. Either that or I have to teach my kids to drive. They are a huge help, but as with many people raised in big cities, they never really wanted to learn that skill when public transportation gets you to where you want to go, and if that doesn't work, then Dad will drive you.

One of the things I've done is go to one of George's signing events. It is customary for George to answer a question for a fan as he autographs your book, so I pondered what I wanted to ask him as I waited in line. While doing so, I found I was standing next to @Stego and @Lady Stego and had a great time talking to them about their experiences at previous Worldcons and the BwB and all things Martin related. Two very wonderful people. Even helped me after falling over trying to get up off the floor when the very long line for autographs finally started moving. But that is another story.

Back to my question. When George was here during the promotion tour for A Dance with Dragons I got to ask him a question as well. Knowing that he is not going to reveal any great spoilers and not wanting my answer to be "KEEP READING," I chose a rather obscure topic that interests me. I wanted to know something about Ser Barristan the Bold. Selmy is a walking contradiction. He is portrayed as a man of impeccable honor and tremendous courage. Yet he admits he may deserve a "traitor's death." When he accepts Robert's offer to join his Kingsguard, he abandons his duty to Viserys, then a child in need of his protection and knowledge. This choice has always fascinated me. In particular, I wanted to know if Ser Barristan makes his decision before or after he finds out that Hightower, Dayne, and Whent are dead. Does he do so knowing he is the only loyal Kingsguard alive - Jaime having quite spectacularly killed the King he was sworn to protect. I'm not sure knowing he is alone makes his decision to go over to Robert better or worse, but it helps me in understanding the man's thinking. Anyway, that's the question I asked him many years ago and George's answer was not "keep reading" but an equally frustrating "that's interesting. I'd have to think on that." An answer that is no answer.

So while waiting in line, I thought what should I ask this time? After considering a question about the timing of different views of the comet (Maester Luwin's and Daenerys's which I have long thought take place at the same time) I decided to ask my original question on Ser Barristan again. After all, George has had a few years to think on it. Well he did answer it. Kinda. Sorta. When I asked if Selmy knew of the deaths of the Kingsguard Trio when he decided to go over to Robert, his response was "Yes, .... quite probably. He was hurt and recovering so there is enough time for him to know." Not quite the clear answer I was looking for, but a great improvement over the "I have to think on that" response. Given the glacial pace in which I have been asking this question, I'm quite sure that I will get my definitive, clear answer at Worldcon 2022.

Good job, and glad you're having a good, if tiring time!

This does give us a sense that there was a goodly span of time between the Trident and Barristan accepting a place in Robert's Kingsguard, as well as (presumably) his pardoning of Varys and Jaime. 

5 minutes ago, Ran said:

Good job, and glad you're having a good, if tiring time!

This does give us a sense that there was a goodly span of time between the Trident and Barristan accepting a place in Robert's Kingsguard, as well as (presumably) his pardoning of Varys and Jaime. 

Thanks, Ran. I think I'm right in believing that Ser Barristan makes his decision after Ned arrives back in King's Landing with the news of Lyanna's death, and that of the fight at the Tower of Joy. I would bet it is well within 284 when Selmy arrives in King's Landing, giving Ned some many months to make his trip and for he and Robert to be "reunited in grief" when he tells his news. It's not something I think Ned sends to Robert via raven. My speculation. George has said we will learn about Ned's return trip later in the series, so I'm hoping we get some clarity on this along with the more important story of Ned's return.

1 hour ago, SFDanny said:

I've been spending the last few days at Worldcon, and before that attending the Locus event in Redwood City. My first Worldcon, and it has been lots of fun in an exhausting sort of way. I can't go to all the events I'd like, and need to rest between them. Driving down from beautiful San Francisco to San Jose each day and back doesn't help. Next Worldcon it is worth paying for a room at the convention. Lesson learned. Either that or I have to teach my kids to drive. They are a huge help, but as with many people raised in big cities, they never really wanted to learn that skill when public transportation gets you to where you want to go, and if that doesn't work, then Dad will drive you.

One of the things I've done is go to one of George's signing events. It is customary for George to answer a question for a fan as he autographs your book, so I pondered what I wanted to ask him as I waited in line. While doing so, I found I was standing next to @Stego and @Lady Stego and had a great time talking to them about their experiences at previous Worldcons and the BwB and all things Martin related. Two very wonderful people. Even helped me after falling over trying to get up off the floor when the very long line for autographs finally started moving. But that is another story.

Back to my question. When George was here during the promotion tour for A Dance with Dragons I got to ask him a question as well. Knowing that he is not going to reveal any great spoilers and not wanting my answer to be "KEEP READING," I chose a rather obscure topic that interests me. I wanted to know something about Ser Barristan the Bold. Selmy is a walking contradiction. He is portrayed as a man of impeccable honor and tremendous courage. Yet he admits he may deserve a "traitor's death." When he accepts Robert's offer to join his Kingsguard, he abandons his duty to Viserys, then a child in need of his protection and knowledge. This choice has always fascinated me. In particular, I wanted to know if Ser Barristan makes his decision before or after he finds out that Hightower, Dayne, and Whent are dead. Does he do so knowing he is the only loyal Kingsguard alive - Jaime having quite spectacularly killed the King he was sworn to protect. I'm not sure knowing he is alone makes his decision to go over to Robert better or worse, but it helps me in understanding the man's thinking. Anyway, that's the question I asked him many years ago and George's answer was not "keep reading" but an equally frustrating "that's interesting. I'd have to think on that." An answer that is no answer.

So while waiting in line, I thought what should I ask this time? After considering a question about the timing of different views of the comet (Maester Luwin's and Daenerys's which I have long thought take place at the same time) I decided to ask my original question on Ser Barristan again. After all, George has had a few years to think on it. Well he did answer it. Kinda. Sorta. When I asked if Selmy knew of the deaths of the Kingsguard Trio when he decided to go over to Robert, his response was "Yes, .... quite probably. He was hurt and recovering so there is enough time for him to know." Not quite the clear answer I was looking for, but a great improvement over the "I have to think on that" response. Given the glacial pace in which I have been asking this question, I'm quite sure that I will get my definitive, clear answer at Worldcon 2022.

Sounds like you did something right. :thumbsup:  I know it can be tricksy to figure out a question that requires some type of response beyond “keep reading”, which we should do anyway :D

Good on ya for the question and answer. 

Man, you can't imagine how much  I envy you...

Isn't GRRM planning to visit Prague? It's such a beautiful city, with lots of inspiration. Berlin, Vienna or Bratislava wouldn't be outside the realm of possibility, either.

33 minutes ago, Ygrain said:

Isn't GRRM planning to visit Prague? It's such a beautiful city, with lots of inspiration. Berlin, Vienna or Bratislava wouldn't be outside the realm of possibility, either.

I don't think George has revealed his 2019 plans, but the Dublin Worldcon is pretty certain, and I think fingers are crossed that he'll stick around for the Eurocon in Belfast. 

34 minutes ago, Ran said:

I don't think George has revealed his 2019 plans, but the Dublin Worldcon is pretty certain, and I think fingers are crossed that he'll stick around for the Eurocon in Belfast. 

That's even worse, knowing that he will be closer but not close enough :D

I think there are many unknowns to your question @SFDanny. We don't know how injured/clear of mind Selmy was after the Trident or how long it took for him to recover. We also don't know whether the pardons Robert likely issued rather shortly after he had taken the throne included confirmation of the pardoned in their old titles/offices.

It is one thing to recognize that a leal man fought for his king and prince and find no fault in that and quite another to keep such a man in your Kingsguard and council.

In that sense I think that Varys and Pycelle also only knew that they were still welcome in Robert's council when Robert convened his Small Council for the first session after he had taken the throne (which may have been immediately after his coronation but not directly after his arrival in KL).

Keeping Jaime and Barristan in the KG would be a similar thing - Jaime would have been pardoned with the others but whether he made the decision to keep Jaime in the KG at the same time, is unclear. But since Selmy wasn't in KL at the time the royal pardon and offer to serve as Lord Commander would have only reached him some time later, assuming Robert thought of that already when he became king.

Filling up the empty spots in his KG might have only concerned him some time later.

An interesting aspect there is whether Selmy made his decision/got the royal offer before or after Queen Rhaella had died, and Viserys III had fled to Braavos.

1 hour ago, Ran said:

I think he has already confirmed that he is going to be there, at least unofficially. He says he is not missing any world con when it can be helped.

And I think he already was in Bratislava, ten years ago or so.

3 hours ago, Ygrain said:

2 hours ago, Ran said:

I don't know yet if I can, but Dublin sounds good to me! Ireland has always been on the list of places I want to go. Belfast as well. Land of my ancestors type of thing. Getting to do it with other Martin fans sounds wonderful. I have to wait and see to determine if I can in fact make it. My encouragement to all others who can make it. It's a fun time.

26 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

I think there are many unknowns to your question @SFDanny. We don't know how injured/clear of mind Selmy was after the Trident or how long it took for him to recover. We also don't know whether the pardons Robert likely issued rather shortly after he had taken the throne included confirmation of the pardoned in their old titles/offices.

It is one thing to recognize that a leal man fought for his king and prince and find no fault in that and quite another to keep such a man in your Kingsguard and council.

In that sense I think that Varys and Pycelle also only knew that they were still welcome in Robert's council when Robert convened his Small Council for the first session after he had taken the throne (which may have been immediately after his coronation but not directly after his arrival in KL).

Keeping Jaime and Barristan in the KG would be a similar thing - Jaime would have been pardoned with the others but whether he made the decision to keep Jaime in the KG at the same time, is unclear. But since Selmy wasn't in KL at the time the royal pardon and offer to serve as Lord Commander would have only reached him some time later, assuming Robert thought of that already when he became king.

Filling up the empty spots in his KG might have only concerned him some time later.

An interesting aspect there is whether Selmy made his decision/got the royal offer before or after Queen Rhaella had died, and Viserys III had fled to Braavos.

All this is very true or at least very possible, LV, but given the format, one question is all I was allowed. The warning goes out, don't start with "may I ask a question?" because that then is your question. The response will be to say "you did" and move on. It's understandable when you have 250 people standing in line, and they don't want to wait for you to have a very interesting conversation with George while they twiddle their thumbs.

All this is very true or at least very possible, LV, but given the format, one question is all I was allowed. The warning goes out, don't start with "may I ask a question?" because that then is your question. The response will be to say "you did" and move on. It's understandable when you have 250 people standing in line, and they don't want to wait for you to have a very interesting conversation with George while they twiddle their thumbs.

Sure, I just wanted to add something to the overall topic. I don't think George cared a lot about this conundrum in the beginning, just going with the pardon thing. But if one really thinks about Selmy the man - who has now become a POV - then it is actually pretty important for his character and motivation when he made that call and what he knew at that particular time.

One even wonders when exactly Robert decided to make Selmy the Lord Commander of the Kingsguard. Jaime wasn't an option, of course, but technically he could have chosen one of his new men rather than given that honor to former Targaryen men.

I don't know yet if I can, but Dublin sounds good to me! Ireland has always been on the list of places I want to go. Belfast as well. Land of my ancestors type of thing. Getting to do it with other Martin fans sounds wonderful. I have to wait and see to determine if I can in fact make it. My encouragement to all others who can make it. It's a fun time.

Dublin is on my list as well. Last time was world con in London years ago, so the other island make do this time ;-).

What would have happened to Barristan if he refused Bob's offer of joining his Kingsguard? I'm guessing he would either be sent to the Wall or executed. Did he really have the option of just leaving Westeros after he healed up? Was he being watched and guarded until he knelt before Robert and arose as the Lord Commander of his KG?

5 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

Sure, I just wanted to add something to the overall topic. I don't think George cared a lot about this conundrum in the beginning, just going with the pardon thing. But if one really thinks about Selmy the man - who has now become a POV - then it is actually pretty important for his character and motivation when he made that call and what he knew at that particular time.

One even wonders when exactly Robert decided to make Selmy the Lord Commander of the Kingsguard. Jaime wasn't an option, of course, but technically he could have chosen one of his new men rather than given that honor to former Targaryen men.

Dublin is on my list as well. Last time was world con in London years ago, so the other island make do this time ;-).

You always bring a welcome perspective, my friend. I will be happy to discuss all of the points you have brought up, but it will have to be tomorrow. I just got in from the Hugo awards ceremony. First time and a lot of fun. Looking forward to discussing this tomorrow.

5 hours ago, Ralphis Baratheon said:

What would have happened to Barristan if he refused Bob's offer of joining his Kingsguard? I'm guessing he would either be sent to the Wall or executed. Did he really have the option of just leaving Westeros after he healed up? Was he being watched and guarded until he knelt before Robert and arose as the Lord Commander of his KG?

Or if he put his own mission to guard Viserys above his own perception of honor, he could accept Robert's offer and escape at the soonest opportunity. We don't know if Robert would have allowed him to go into exile, but I agree it is unlikely given Robert's hatred of the Targaryens. While we don't know if he was watched and guarded, I think it is safe to assume he was.

18 hours ago, Ran said:

Am I right in thinking that Jaime mentions having to accept a pardon alongside Varys and Pycelle, but doesn't mention Barristan? It would be in character for those three to go over to Robert as soon as possible. Barristan may have been dealt with separately and/or later.

10 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

I would imagine Robert’s reasoning for keeping Barristan was the same as Tywin and Tyrion’s reasoning for being annoyed at Cersei for dismissing him – the man’s a living legend, and his presence legitimises Robert’s rule. He lends honour and a sense of continuity. To a lesser extent keeping Pycelle does the same.

Varys is harder to explain. Personally I would have had him thrown off the battlements. However, I’m sure Varys found a way to make himself indispensable the second Robert rode through the gates.

29 minutes ago, Shouldve Taken The Black said:

Am I right in thinking that Jaime mentions having to accept a pardon alongside Varys and Pycelle, but doesn't mention Barristan? It would be in character for those three to go over to Robert as soon as possible. Barristan may have been dealt with separately and/or later.

That definitely has to be the case. Barristan was not there with them when they accepted the pardon. But again - the pardon might not have been the same time it was decided that these people all were allowed to keep their offices. I mean, in Jaime's case one assumes Robert would have been already on board with the Cersei idea, or else chances are pretty good that he may have spared Jaime's life but without allowing him to continue to serve him as KG. That makes more sense if it was part of the deal with Tywin about Cersei's hand. 

I would imagine Robert’s reasoning for keeping Barristan was the same as Tywin and Tyrion’s reasoning for being annoyed at Cersei for dismissing him – the man’s a living legend, and his presence legitimises Robert’s rule. He lends honour and a sense of continuity. To a lesser extent keeping Pycelle does the same.

Keeping Pycelle seems to be the standard considering that the Citadel elects the Grand Maester and Pycelle didn't do anything wrong by serving his king as long as he did.

In Selmy's case his vows make things more complex. Robert may have been careless, as usual, but Jon and Ned and others may have made sure that Selmy really was Robert's man now and not a man who might abandon him for Viserys as soon as the boy made a move.

The fact that the Selmys are Robert's own vassals might have played a role as well.

Varys is harder to explain. Personally I would have had him thrown off the battlements. However, I’m sure Varys found a way to make himself indispensable the second Robert rode through the gates.

It might be that Robert effectively issued some sort of general amnesty which then also included Varys. And it is very likely that Varys used the time after Robert's arrival to suck up to him and make himself useful, so that he was not only pardoned but also allowed to continue as Master of Whisperers.

Just now, Lord Varys said:

That definitely has to be the case. Barristan was not there with them when they accepted the pardon. But again - the pardon might not have been the same time it was decided that these people all were allowed to keep their offices. I mean, in Jaime's case one assumes Robert would have been already on board with the Cersei idea, or else chances are pretty good that he may have spared Jaime's life but without allowing him to continue to serve him as KG. That makes more sense if it was part of the deal with Tywin about Cersei's hand. 

I agree with the first part. But surely, if it was part of a deal with Tywin, it would have actually been that he be dismissed from the Kingsguard? Tywin didn’t want him on the Kingsguard, so some kind of “honourable discharge” would surely have been the deal if Tywin’s hand was in it?

2 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

Keeping Pycelle seems to be the standard considering that the Citadel elects the Grand Maester and Pycelle didn't do anything wrong by serving his king as long as he did.

True. Though he could have unmade him with an axe if he wanted to. Still, I agree there would be little point in it.

3 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

but Jon and Ned and others may have made sure that Selmy really was Robert's man now and not a man who might abandon him for Viserys as soon as the boy made a move.

Selmy gives his own reasoning to Dany on this, and I think it's valid. Robert treated Selmy honourably, and is famous for turning enemies into friends (that’s probably his greatest skill beside hammer-wielding). And Selmy recognised that Aerys was mad, and saw traits of him in Viserys. He was probably pleased to finally be able to serve a king that wasn’t mad.  

6 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

It might be that Robert effectively issued some sort of general amnesty which then also included Varys. And it is very likely that Varys used the time after Robert's arrival to suck up to him and make himself useful, so that he was not only pardoned but also allowed to continue as Master of Whisperers.

Agreed.

10 minutes ago, Shouldve Taken The Black said:

I agree with the first part. But surely, if it was part of a deal with Tywin, it would have actually been that he be dismissed from the Kingsguard? Tywin didn’t want him on the Kingsguard, so some kind of “honourable discharge” would surely have been the deal if Tywin’s hand was in it?

Oh, yeah, that's an issue there. If one takes that into account then it must have been more Robert's idea to keep Jaime as KG than Tywin's. Very odd why/how that happened. Perhaps nobody considered the possibility of 'honorable discharge' at the time, the thing being anathema to the way the KG was set up. They might have thought there was only execution, the Wall, or keeping Jaime. And the former two wouldn't have sat well with Tywin.

True. Though he could have unmade him with an axe if he wanted to. Still, I agree there would be little point in it.

He could, but it would have been an odd move. Pycelle wasn't exactly the adviser of Aerys who had been Robert's greatest enemy.

Selmy gives his own reasoning to Dany on this, and I think it's valid. Robert treated Selmy honourably, and is famous for turning enemies into friends (that’s probably his greatest skill beside hammer-wielding). And Selmy recognised that Aerys was mad, and saw traits of him in Viserys. He was probably pleased to finally be able to serve a king that wasn’t mad.

But it is not just about serving a king, but also about protecting the murdered king's family. Queen Rhaella was still alive, and while Selmy may not have been willing to serve a King Viserys III it would have great impact on the quality of his character whether he was Robert's man before or after Rhaella died and Viserys III escaped. If Selmy had been Robert's Lord Commander by the time Robert commanded Stannis to build a fleet and take/kill Rhaella and Viserys and the child Rhaella was about to give birth to then he would have been complicit in or approving of that deed.

If he only got Robert's offer after Darry had spirited the Targaryens away his hands would be cleaner.

In fact, if the whole Stannis thing only came up somewhat later then Selmy could actually have been part of that decision as a member of Robert's Small Council - just as Robert later discusses dealing with the Targaryens with his Small Council. And one should assume that this would (or could) have a certain plot relevance in light of the fact that Daenerys would likely not keep a man in her council who actually participated in plans to imprison/kill her mother, brother, and herself as an infant child.

57 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

Oh, yeah, that's an issue there. If one takes that into account then it must have been more Robert's idea to keep Jaime as KG than Tywin's. Very odd why/how that happened. Perhaps nobody considered the possibility of 'honorable discharge' at the time, the thing being anathema to the way the KG was set up. They might have thought there was only execution, the Wall, or keeping Jaime. And the former two wouldn't have sat well with Tywin.

That’s probably it. The idea of dismissal from the Kingsguard didn’t come up until Cersei and Barristan. I think also, your idea of a general amnesty works. And Robert’s general policy of forgiving enemies was probably a major factor.

1 hour ago, Lord Varys said:

He could, but it would have been an odd move. Pycelle wasn't exactly the adviser of Aerys who had been Robert's greatest enemy.

Agreed.

1 hour ago, Lord Varys said:

But it is not just about serving a king, but also about protecting the murdered king's family. Queen Rhaella was still alive, and while Selmy may not have been willing to serve a King Viserys III it would have great impact on the quality of his character whether he was Robert's man before or after Rhaella died and Viserys III escaped. If Selmy had been Robert's Lord Commander by the time Robert commanded Stannis to build a fleet and take/kill Rhaella and Viserys and the child Rhaella was about to give birth to then he would have been complicit in or approving of that deed.

If he only got Robert's offer after Darry had spirited the Targaryens away his hands would be cleaner.

Also agreed. You would expect that Selmy would only take Robert's offer once the Targaryens were pretty much done, and Aerys's children were across the water. He couldn't be complicit in any attempt on their lives.

21 hours ago, SFDanny said:

Excellent, but I would really like to know whether the tourney at Harrenhal was rigged in Rheagar favor. That sentence about "If I had been a better knight..." is intriguing...

Archived