Will Arya end up marrying Jon?

honorable men

11 minutes ago, Davjos said:

I never said it wasn’t ‘ok for me’. I said I found it unlikely based on Jon’s inner thoughts, their physical and emotional similarities (want to exceed societal norms, tendency to hold grudges, value honour etc.)

spoiler tag just in case I can’t remember

Hide contents

Oh and Arya does not seem to take deserting the Wall lightly. Jon would need to desert/break vows to be with her.

Jon's inner toughts are rather creepy to begin with.

Physical similarities didn't stop Jamie and cersei and while i understand the relationship dynamic of arya and jon is rather different from that of the twins i  think that if the romance does happen they will have a twisted and creepy relationship not unlike  Cersei and Jamie.

2 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

Jon thinking whether Arya was ever his sister is a clear and obvious hint to the fact that she actually isn't. It's that simple. 

YES, i dont agree with those who say  that he doesnt think of her as a sister my point is that after he is ressurected his impression of her may change

On 8/19/2018 at 6:37 PM, BRANDON GREYSTARK said:

… And Sansa is suppose to be carrying Jaime's child . That was the old story line. No .

I believe it was Joffrey's, not that Sansa wound up doing that in the books either.

On 8/19/2018 at 7:42 PM, Ralphis Baratheon said:

Call me crazy but I don't think Jon will marry or sleep with anyone he's related too. If Jon takes another lover I think it will either be Val or Satin or both, as they are loyal to him and he has made it clear how attractive he believes them both to be on more than one occasion in his head.  I think It would be very creepy if Jon's feelings for Arya are more than platonic seeing as the last time he saw her she was his 9 year-old "little sister."

Will Jon come back as Oberyn Martell? :)

7 hours ago, Lollygag said:
  • Illyrio and Viserys both side-eyed Drago for wanting the just-flowered Dany and if those two of all people are side-eyeing you….Viserys found it incomprehensible that a man would want a girl who was that undeveloped regardless of being flowered.

• Gendry left Arya because his feelings became inappropriate to Arya’s age.

You're right about Illyrio, who said that he considered bedding Dany but then decided she was too young. But Illyrio also claims that Viserys tried to deflower her before Drogo could, but Illyrio prevented him. And Gendry became a sworn knight of the hollow hill. Arya leaving was a separate thing, with no reason for her to expect him to join her (she's just too young & ummature to understand that). Even afterward Gendry remains a devotee of R'hllor.

3 hours ago, FictionIsntReal said:

You're right about Illyrio, who said that he considered bedding Dany but then decided she was too young. But Illyrio also claims that Viserys tried to deflower her before Drogo could, but Illyrio prevented him. And Gendry became a sworn knight of the hollow hill. Arya leaving was a separate thing, with no reason for her to expect him to join her (she's just too young & ummature to understand that). Even afterward Gendry remains a devotee of R'hllor.

I think I'm not quite following your point on Gendry. I believed Illyrio's account of Viserys for a long time but I’ve since taken a very close look at Illyrio and have changed my mind. We know that Tyrion has already caught Illyrio lying about Varys’ backstory (got his hometown wrong and Tyrion corrected him) and there are other lies which readers suspect from Illyrio to Tyrion for solid reasons. 

Below, we see where Viserys finds Dany unattractive due to her age and lack of development thus he questions Drago finding her attractive. Dany doesn't question this which makes me think that it meshes with what Dany knows of Viserys' opinion of her. We see directly through Dany that he sells her literally and eagerly in contrast to Illyrio’s recount that he was loath to give her up. Don’t overlook that Viserys equates sleeping with the barely legal Dany, flowered though she may be, with bestiality. Viserys also calls Dany "too skinny" here which is a much-used description for Arya. The comparison paints any sexual situation with a barely legal Arya in a very ugly light unless the boy is very close to her own age/level of development which is why I don't see Jon/Arya happening without Jon becoming a bit of a pedo. 

Why would Illyrio lie to Tyrion about Viserys? I'm not sure really. 

AGOT Daenerys I

"Regal," Magister Illyrio said, stepping through an archway. He moved with surprising delicacy for such a massive man. Beneath loose garments of flame-colored silk, rolls of fat jiggled as he walked. Gemstones glittered on every finger, and his man had oiled his forked yellow beard until it shone like real gold. "May the Lord of Light shower you with blessings on this most fortunate day, Princess Daenerys," the magister said as he took her hand. He bowed his head, showing a thin glimpse of crooked yellow teeth through the gold of his beard. "She is a vision, Your Grace, a vision," he told her brother. "Drogo will be enraptured."

"She's too skinny," Viserys said. His hair, the same silver-blond as hers, had been pulled back tightly behind his head and fastened with a dragonbone brooch. It was a severe look that emphasized the hard, gaunt lines of his face. He rested his hand on the hilt of the sword that Illyrio had lent him, and said, "Are you sure that Khal Drogo likes his women this young?"

"She has had her blood. She is old enough for the khal," Illyrio told him, not for the first time. "Look at her. That silver-gold hair, those purple eyes … she is the blood of old Valyria, no doubt, no doubt … and highborn, daughter of the old king, sister to the new, she cannot fail to entrance our Drogo." When he released her hand, Daenerys found herself trembling.

"I suppose," her brother said doubtfully. "The savages have queer tastes. Boys, horses, sheep …"

"Best not suggest this to Khal Drogo," Illyrio said.

Anger flashed in her brother's lilac eyes. "Do you take me for a fool?"

"Smile," Viserys whispered nervously, his hand falling to the hilt of his sword. "And stand up straight. Let him see that you have breasts. Gods know, you have little enough as is."

"I do," he said sharply. "We go home with an army, sweet sister. With Khal Drogo's army, that is how we go home. And if you must wed him and bed him for that, you will." He smiled at her. "I'd let his whole khalasar fuck you if need be, sweet sister, all forty thousand men, and their horses too if that was what it took to get my army. Be grateful it is only Drogo. In time you may even learn to like him. Now dry your eyes. Illyrio is bringing him over, and he will not see you crying."

AGOT Daenerys II

Magister Illyrio laughed lightly through his forked beard, but Viserys did not so much as smile. "He can have her tomorrow, if he likes," her brother said. He glanced over at Dany, and she lowered her eyes. "So long as he pays the price."

The last sliver of sun vanished behind the high walls of Pentos to the west just then. Dany had lost all track of time. Khal Drogo commanded his bloodriders to bring forth his own horse, a lean red stallion. As the khal was saddling the horse, Viserys slid close to Dany on her silver, dug his fingers into her leg, and said, "Please him, sweet sister, or I swear, you will see the dragon wake as it has never woken before."

AGOT Daenerys IV

"He had better," Viserys said grimly. "I was promised a crown, and I mean to have it. The dragon is not mocked." Spying an obscene likeness of a woman with six breasts and a ferret's head, he rode off to inspect it more closely.

AGOT Daenerys V

Viserys laughed. "They can't kill us. They can't shed blood here in the sacred city … but I can." He laid the point of his sword between Daenerys's breasts and slid it downward, over the curve of her belly. "I want what I came for," he told her. "I want the crown he promised me. He bought you, but he never paid for you. Tell him I want what I bargained for, or I'm taking you back. You and the eggs both. He can keep his bloody foal. I'll cut the bastard out and leave it for him." The sword point pushed through her silks and pricked at her navel. Viserys was weeping, she saw; weeping and laughing, both at the same time, this man who had once been her brother.

ADWD Tyrion II

Along with the blood of Aegon the Unworthy, Maegor the Cruel, and Baelor the Befuddled. "Tell me more of her."

The fat man grew pensive. "Daenerys was half a child when she came to me, yet fairer even than my second wife, so lovely I was tempted to claim her for myself. Such a fearful, furtive thing, however, I knew I should get no joy from coupling with her. Instead I summoned a bedwarmer and fucked her vigorously until the madness passed. If truth be told, I did not think Daenerys would survive for long amongst the horselords."

"That did not stop you selling her to Khal Drogo …"

"Dothraki neither buy nor sell. Say rather that her brother Viserys gave her to Drogo to win the khal's friendship. A vain young man, and greedy. Viserys lusted for his father's throne, but he lusted for Daenerys too, and was loath to give her up. The night before the princess wed he tried to steal into her bed, insisting that if he could not have her hand, he would claim her maidenhead. Had I not taken the precaution of posting guards upon her door, Viserys might have undone years of planning."

"He sounds an utter fool."

"Viserys was Mad Aerys's son, just so. Daenerys … Daenerys is quite different." He popped a roasted lark into his mouth and crunched it noisily, bones and all. "The frightened child who sheltered in my manse died on the Dothraki sea, and was reborn in blood and fire. This dragon queen who wears her name is a true Targaryen. When I sent ships to bring her home, she turned toward Slaver's Bay. In a short span of days she conquered Astapor, made Yunkai bend the knee, and sacked Meereen. Mantarys will be next, if she marches west along the old Valyrian roads. If she comes by sea, well … her fleet must take on food and water at Volantis."

18 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

Someone please tell Martin that he is to stick to that outline. You know, the one where he said he was making shit up. :lol: 

Well, technically speaking making shit up is his job description. 

But, yeah it is obvious that outline has obviously been abandoned if it was ever considered seriously, apart from certain plot elements and even then the circumstances are so different that these similarities are superficial. 

16 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

And no love is worse. Look at Robert and Cersei, a couple who didn’t love each other and it led to the ruin of three houses.

GRRM's perfect marriage seems to be one where people who don't care about each other at all "grow fond" of each other over time. Cercei couldn't grow fond of Robert, and why was that? Because Cercei loved Jaime, and Robert loved Lyanna. Love ruins everything.

11 hours ago, Davjos said:

No need to be that condescending when all I pointed out was that you took a quote out of its context. Thank you for thinking that I’m cute though. Makes me feel special. Oh and I clearly meant from the most recent book, ADWD. 

Well you were pretty condescending as well for absolutely no reason. Those weren't all the references Jon makes to Arya in ADwD. :) Still being cute. 

Could you provide me with the quote about bedding his sister? I must have missed it. 

"Were you a maid?"

Ygritte pushed herself onto an elbow. "I am nineteen, and a spearwife, and kissed by fire. How could I be maiden?"

"Who was he?"

"A boy at a feast, five years past. He'd come trading with his brothers, and he had hair like mine, kissed by fire, so I thought he would be lucky. But he was weak. When he came back t' try and steal me, Longspear broke his arm and ran him off, and he never tried again, not once."

"It wasn't Longspear, then?" Jon was relieved. He liked Longspear, with his homely face and friendly ways.

She punched him. "That's vile. Would you bed your sister?"

"Longspear's not your brother."

"He's of my village. You know nothing, Jon Snow. A true man steals a woman from afar, t' strengthen the clan. Women who bed brothers or fathers or clan kin offend the gods, and are cursed with weak and sickly children. Even monsters."

"Craster weds his daughters," Jon pointed out.

Longspear Ryk is quite a different situation. There’s no blood ties. Arya and Jon are clearly related. 

We're not talking about blood though. It's the sibling bond that is an issue. After they learn they are only cousins, the next objection you'll hear is that they "grew up as siblings". The conversation with Ygritte shows Jon doesn't find that a valid point at all. Ygritte grew up with Longspear and he thinks of her like a sister. Jon doesn't agree and replies with a point of fact: Longspear is not her brother. Even though Ygritte thinks of him as such. This point, coupled with the idea that Jon questions if Arya was ever his sister (in truth, she never was) GRRM is seeding these ideas throughout the books. Arya is over in Braavos noticing how much she is growing (referring to her long water dancer legs) and how Jon will not even recognize her when he sees her again. He won't. As you pointed out, he remembers the young girl that kissed him farewell in Winterfell. Not the maiden that will return from Braavos. It's heavily hinted Arya will apprentice with a courtesan at some point and her natural gracefulness seems to be surfacing as well. I wonder how well she will fare under the mentorship of a Lady who is kind and understands her? Someone like the Black Pearl who has already shown an interest in Arya in previous chapters. 

It's only after they reunite that any feelings develop. Not before, like you seem to be stuck on. 

I don’t think Jon and Arya will be together. GRRM has displayed the incest is mostly born from narcissistic tendencies. Cersei wants Jaime because she thinks he’s Cersei with a dick. The Targs mostly/probably have incest marriages to keep their in their opinion superior bloodline pure. Jon and Arya look the most similar of all the Stark pups. Neither show narcissism, except Jon maybe very lightly as a recruit, thinking himself justly a better swordsman than his fellow recruits. 

They don’t love themselves enough to desire someone so similar. 

I don't know what George is planning but his continued dalliance with themes involving conflicts of the heart could see this plotline explored like he originally planned. 

20 hours ago, 867-5309 said:

They will end up together in some way shape or form.  Martin had an outline for them to fall in love.  There is a letter circulating on the internet from Martin to his publisher.  There, Jon gets jealous because Arya is involved in a love triangle.  I wish the triangle to involve Gendry, Jon, and Arya.  

GRRM has said himself that that outline is meaningless. There is a tonne of stuff in there that clearly isn’t going to happen.

15 hours ago, BigBoss1 said:

I feel that the reason many are dismissing this possibility is because they find it repulsive and thats okay, i too find it disgusting but it doesnt mean it will not happen. In the early drafts that was the original storyline and we don't know if GRRM changed it because we are not inside his head but se do know that he is not afraid of touching the subject. There is a lot of foreshadowing for it and i agree they think of each other as brothers and sister and a possibile relationship between the two will be creepy but the book is not about fullfilling our  wishes. After Jon is resurected He may be a totally  different person, hell, he may even be creepily obsessed with Arya because he died (for) thinking about her. Im sure of one thing tho, if it happens it will be no fairytale  love but something twisted and dark and i trust GRRM to write it in a believable way.

The really disgusting idea is when posters argue that Jon's feelings for Arya up to this point in the story may be of the romantic kind. When Jon last saw Arya, she was a nine-year-old child. Their relationship was that of a brother and a little sister. She is still very young. Jon is not attracted to children, he is actualy attracted to women slightly older than him (if Ygritte and Val are any indication), or perhaps we can say that to women who are more or less his own age. There has been no room for him to develop any romantic feelings or sexual attraction for Arya. He doesn't even know what she looks like or whether she is really alive. I don't know what will happen later (that outline has been pretty much abandoned, apparently), but should anything romantic / sexual happen between them, it hasn't started yet. Such a relationship would also ruin the most beautiful sibling relationship in these books, but what do I know?  

3 hours ago, Damon_Tor said:

GRRM's perfect marriage seems to be one where people who don't care about each other at all "grow fond" of each other over time. Cercei couldn't grow fond of Robert, and why was that? Because Cercei loved Jaime, and Robert loved Lyanna. Love ruins everything.

I don't know... Catelyn loved Brandon and perhaps Ned loved Ashara, and yet, they grew to love each other. Cersei's love for Jaime is of the most narcissistic kind that can possibly exist in this world, and Robert's love for Lyanna seems more like obsession than true love, so maybe it's a certain kind of love that tends to ruin everything. Of course, love and duty are often in conflict, but I don't think the overall message is that love is ultimately a harmful thing. 

1 hour ago, Damon_Tor said:

Did you read the next post after that one?

1 hour ago, Julia H. said:

The really disgusting idea is when posters argue that Jon's feelings for Arya up to this point in the story may be of the romantic kind. When Jon last saw Arya, she was a nine-year-old child. Their relationship was that of a brother and a little sister. She is still very young. Jon is not attracted to children, he is actualy attracted to women slightly older than him (if Ygritte and Val are any indiction), or perhaps we can say that to women who are more or less his own age. There has been no room for him to develop any romantic feelings or sexual attraction for Arya. He doesn't even know what she looks like or whether she is really alive. I don't know what will happen later (that outline has been pretty much abandoned, apparently), but should anything romantic / sexual happen between them, it hasn't started yet. Such a relationship would also ruin the most beautiful sibling relationship in these books, but what do I know?  

I don't know... Catelyn loved Brandon and perhaps Ned loved Ashara, and yet, they grew to love each other. Cersei's love for Jaime is of the most narcissistic kind that can possibly exist in this world, and Robert's love for Lyanna seems more like obsession than true love, so maybe it's a certain kind of love that tends to ruin everything. Of course, love and duty are often in conflict, but I don't think the overall message is that love is ultimately a harmful thing. 

I know theres nothing between them now but sibling love but that may change when Jon comes back, we just don't know in what ways jon's character will be changed.

I don't believe Jon is attracted to younger girls, he is attracted to girls who happen to be older. What he likes in them is their wild character which is an attribute Arya shares.

We don't know if the outline is discarded and if you could find any link of GRRM saying so it would be appreciated. Still we know from the outline GRRM did not shy away from ruining their sibling relationship.

16 minutes ago, BigBoss1 said:

I know theres nothing between them now but sibling love but that may change when Jon comes back, we just don't know in what ways jon's character will be changed.

It is highly unlikely that Jon will change that much... to go from having a special sibling relationship w/ his little sister to lusting after her. In fact, we're not even sure he will come back from actual death, or just from being out of commission for some time. But even if the former, it makes more sense for him to come back like Beric and LSH. In other words, completely mission oriented, colder, harsher, and with not much love or tender feelings towards anyone. The idea that his changing will turn him into some sort of Aegon IV has no basis whatsoever. 

I don't believe Jon is attracted to younger girls, he is attracted to girls who happen to be older. What he likes in them is their wild character which is an attribute Arya shares.

I wouldn't say wild, but strong and independent, like Val and Ygritte. And yes, Arya shares those qualities as well. But that on its own doesn't mean anything. 

We don't know if the outline is discarded and if you could find any link of GRRM saying so it would be appreciated. Still we know from the outline GRRM did not shy away from ruining their sibling relationship.

Martin has explicitly said that in that outline he was "making shit up" because his publishers or whoever wanted an outline. Also, he didn't ruin their sibling relationship in the outline because not only he was making shit up, but that was an outline, where nothing was fleshed out or elaborated on so there was nothing to "ruin". Also worthy of note is the fact that Cersei didn't exist in the outline. So, it seems to me the ruined and toxic sibling relationship was an idea he did in fact end up using, but w/ Jaime and Cersei instead. 

7 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

It is highly unlikely that Jon will change that much... to go from having a special sibling relationship w/ his little sister to lusting after her. In fact, we're not even sure he will come back from actual death, or just from being out of commission for some time. But even if the former, it makes more sense for him to come back like Beric and LSH. In other words, completely mission oriented, colder, harsher, and with not much love or tender feelings towards anyone. The idea that his changing will turn him into some sort of Aegon IV has no basis whatsoever. 

I wouldn't say wild, but strong and independent, like Val and Ygritte. And yes, Arya shares those qualities as well. But that on its own doesn't mean anything. 

Martin has explicitly said that in that outline he was "making shit up" because his publishers or whoever wanted an outline. Also, he didn't ruin their sibling relationship in the outline because not only he was making shit up, but that was an outline, where nothing was fleshed out or elaborated on so there was nothing to "ruin". Also worthy of note is the fact that Cersei didn't exist in the outline. So, it seems to me the ruined and toxic sibling relationship was an idea he did in fact end up using, but w/ Jaime and Cersei instead. 

As i said we dont know in what ways Jon is going to change, how is he going to come back and like you said if he is going to come back so my theory of him being obsessed to Arya is an assumption but so is yours of him coming back ruthless, we just don't know.

Im not  in GRRM's head so i don't know if what he said was true or even if he was making everything up or some core plot points will remain in the book.

In the outline its written Jon will discover hjs parentage so GRRM had a rough idea of who he wanted Jon's parents to be.

3 hours ago, BigBoss1 said:

Who knows what will happen, sure. They might meet and not even recognize each other. (If it has to happen, then for them to fall in love without realizing who the other one is seems a bit more believable than sibling love spontaneously developing into romantic love.) I'm not sold on these ideas, but only the George knows what he is planning for the various characters. 

The outline includes things that have not happened and cannot happen now. In that sense, it is definitely abandoned. Sure, he may still use some of the ideas, but the outline can hardly be used as proof at this point. As far as I know, the outline didn't elaborate on a strong and beautiful sibling relationship between Jon and Arya, it was only developed in the book. Does GRRM want to ruin it now? Again, he alone knows.

As for in what ways Jon will change, we certainly don't know it either, but at least I, personally, find it hard to believe that this is the sort of character development the plot needs right now. So far I don't see any real evidence in the books that would point in that direction, Jon's brotherly feelings are just what they are - brotherly feelings - and this sibling love is already a key element in both character arcs in its own right; but things can certainly happen in the plot without prior warning. 

15 minutes ago, BigBoss1 said:

As i said we dont know in what ways Jon is going to change, how is he going to come back and like you said if he is going to come back so my theory of him being obsessed to Arya is an assumption but so is yours of him coming back ruthless, we just don't know.

No, it isn't. Martin has shown us two characters coming back from actual death for a reason. We see that both Beric and LSH are very focused on their "missions", and that both are not quite who they were while living. Beric flat out says he has lost parts of himself, and that he barely remembers his life. The same is true for LSH. There are some key differences because Beric was brought back immediately upon dying, whereas LSH was dead for three days. Still, as I said before, both are totally mission oriented and nothing else seems to matter to them. So if Martin brings back another character, it will follow the pattern above. You know, the latter he made a point in showing us. 

Im not  in GRRM's head so i don't know if what he said was true or even if he was making everything up or some core plot points will remain in the book.

Huh? Martin doesn't lie when replying to questions like this. If he doesn't want to give too much away, he'll go w/ his usual "keep reading" or something similar. If he answers a question, you can take it to the bank. 

In the outline its written Jon will discover hjs parentage so GRRM had a rough idea of who he wanted Jon's parents to be.

And what's this got to do w/ anything? 

2 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

No, it isn't. Martin has shown us two characters coming back from actual death for a reason. We see that both Beric and LSH are very focused on their "missions", and that both are not quite who they were while living. Beric flat out says he has lost parts of himself, and that he barely remembers his life. The same is true for LSH. There are some key differences because Beric was brought back immediately upon dying, whereas LSH was dead for three days. Still, as I said before, both are totally mission oriented and nothing else seems to matter to them. So if Martin brings back another character, it will follow the pattern above. You know, the latter he made a point in showing us. 

Huh? Martin doesn't lie when replying to questions like this. If he doesn't want to give too much away, he'll go w/ his usual "keep reading" or something similar. If he answers a question, you can take it to the bank. 

And what's this got to do w/ anything? 

Whe dont know the manner Jon will be ressurected all we've seen were ressurected by rhollor. So we can't assume we know how jon's resurrection will turn out without the specifics.

Even if  he is not lying that may be an hyperbole. 

It the plot point of Jon having a secret parentage was in the original draft maybe He didn't  make everything up and is going to use some of the outline 

20 hours ago, BigBoss1 said:

I feel that the reason many are dismissing this possibility is because they find it repulsive and thats okay, i too find it disgusting but it doesnt mean it will not happen. In the early drafts that was the original storyline and we don't know if GRRM changed it because we are not inside his head but se do know that he is not afraid of touching the subject. There is a lot of foreshadowing for it and i agree they think of each other as brothers and sister and a possibile relationship between the two will be creepy but the book is not about fullfilling our  wishes. After Jon is resurected He may be a totally  different person, hell, he may even be creepily obsessed with Arya because he died (for) thinking about her. Im sure of one thing tho, if it happens it will be no fairytale  love but something twisted and dark and i trust GRRM to write it in a believable way.

I vote for they both die and get wightified. Their consciousness is retained because of the warg ability.  

Archived