Qyburn in TWoW

Euron III Greyjoy

What do you all think will happen with Qyburn in The Winds of Winter? 

Obviously I don't think he is loyal to Cersei, she is just a person in a powerful position who allows him to run his experiments. But what happens when she gets ousted from that position? I think there is a chance, even if its only for a short period of time, that Aegon will sit the Iron Throne. I cant see Aegon or his councilors allowing Qyburn to carry on with his experiments, they might even try to hang him due to what he's done. 

Will he die in TWoW?

Will he flee Kings Landing, possibly even with Robert Strong? 

Or is there some other option? I'm not sure if it will happen, but I would love to see Euron Greyjoy and Qyburn team up. Just think of all the Lovecraftian abominations they could create together! xD

Yeah I think he makes an escape, maybe with Cersei off to the Rock or thrown in gaol and forgotten about. Basically put on ice until the Dance blows over. Very good idea about Euron. I believe the

Spoiler

scenes of dwarves fornicating represent forced mating for the purpose of creating sphinxes

for Euron's armies, maybe Qyburn's current experiments will result in knowledge that leads to these scenes.

I think it's pretty clear he's on team Marywn, and thus likely an ally of the Martells. So his fate hinges on the success of his faction. If Marywn is successful in joining with Daenerys, it puts Marywn on team Dragon as well. I'd say his survival prospects look rather good. And he seems to understand the Others' "necromancy" better than anyone, that makes him someone who could be extremely important in the War to Come, especially if you plan on winning that war without shutting magic down again.

The most interesting thing about Qyburn is that we get a peek under the hood of the magic system. Interesting to note he needed women to control Robert Strong, and later specifically requested female puppeteers. The former seems to point to a confirmation of the link between the sex act and psychic control, at least in humans, while the latter makes the think necromancy in ASoIaF is very similar to what we see in the Corpse Handler stories GRRM wrote.

9 hours ago, EloImFizzy said:

As someone who has no idea what the Corpse Handler is, could you explain to me what you mean? 

Martin wrote a trilogy of science fiction stories about a technology by which dead bodies are re-purposed as biological robots of a sort, controlled via telepathy. Probably an important read if you want to understand how GRRM thinks and where he might be going with the Others.

4 hours ago, Damon_Tor said:

Martin wrote a trilogy of science fiction stories about a technology by which dead bodies are re-purposed as biological robots of a sort, controlled via telepathy. Probably an important read if you want to understand how GRRM thinks and where he might be going with the Others.

So Qyburn is controlling the Mountain via the women he has asked Cersei for, and it has something to do with sex? That seems very similar to the story of the Night's King and his Corpse Queen, she "took his soul" when he had sex with her, and he suddenly becomes this completely different man. 

16 hours ago, EloImFizzy said:

So Qyburn is controlling the Mountain via the women he has asked Cersei for, and it has something to do with sex? That seems very similar to the story of the Night's King and his Corpse Queen, she "took his soul" when he had sex with her, and he suddenly becomes this completely different man. 

Right, so sex creates a psychic link between people. This is explicit in some of GRRM's other stories (Nightflyers, I think) and we see clear signs of it being the case in ASoIaF with Melisandre and her using this to bind Stannis' shadow. What hasn't been firmly established yet is the idea that you can use a "bridge" of sorts, a single person being used as a proxy for someone else. There's Qyburn, I think that's where GRRM is telegraphing it the hardest, but there's also Euron using the Dusky Woman to control Victarion. The Crackpotter in me still likes the idea that Littlefinger has created a "whore net" out of his brothels.

As for the Night's King and his Queen, yes, it's entirely possible an Other could use a wight in this way, as a bridge between himself and a human man.

On 8/21/2018 at 4:16 AM, Damon_Tor said:

Right, so sex creates a psychic link between people. This is explicit in some of GRRM's other stories (Nightflyers, I think) and we see clear signs of it being the case in ASoIaF with Melisandre and her using this to bind Stannis' shadow. What hasn't been firmly established yet is the idea that you can use a "bridge" of sorts, a single person being used as a proxy for someone else. There's Qyburn, I think that's where GRRM is telegraphing it the hardest, but there's also Euron using the Dusky Woman to control Victarion. The Crackpotter in me still likes the idea that Littlefinger has created a "whore net" out of his brothels.

As for the Night's King and his Queen, yes, it's entirely possible an Other could use a wight in this way, as a bridge between himself and a human man.

On 8/19/2018 at 9:09 PM, chrisdaw said:

Yeah I think he makes an escape, maybe with Cersei off to the Rock or thrown in gaol and forgotten about. Basically put on ice until the Dance blows over. Very good idea about Euron. I believe the scenes of dwarves fornicating represent forced mating for the purpose of creating sphinxes for Euron's armies, maybe Qyburn's current experiments will result in knowledge that leads to these scenes.

On 8/20/2018 at 7:35 AM, Damon_Tor said:

On 8/19/2018 at 10:10 PM, Damon_Tor said:

I think it's pretty clear he's on team Marywn, and thus likely an ally of the Martells. So his fate hinges on the success of his faction. If Marywn is successful in joining with Daenerys, it puts Marywn on team Dragon as well. I'd say his survival prospects look rather good. And he seems to understand the Others' "necromancy" better than anyone, that makes him someone who could be extremely important in the War to Come, especially if you plan on winning that war without shutting magic down again.

The most interesting thing about Qyburn is that we get a peek under the hood of the magic system. Interesting to note he needed women to control Robert Strong, and later specifically requested female puppeteers.

I am beginning to get the feeling that Dream is going to be so effing creepy.

A Dream of Spring is such a beautiful, hopeful title...so, of course, GRRM would fill a book with a pretty name with a bunch of nightmare fuel.

Seriously. This series is slowly sliding into the horror genre.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

Yep. That's totally happening.

I actually can see Qyburn kicking Cersei to the curb for Euron

Who do you reckon is in control of Robert Strong? Cersei or Qyburn? I reckon Qyburn must have true control - it's his ace in the hole in case things turn sour.

13 hours ago, Legitimate_Bastard said:

Who do you reckon is in control of Robert Strong? Cersei or Qyburn? I reckon Qyburn must have true control - it's his ace in the hole in case things turn sour.

I don't think any one really controls Robert Strong. But, for the sake of your question, the answer is clearly Qyburn. Cersei is really just nothing more than a checking account with green eyes.

But whatever Qyburn is doing is going to be revealed for us eventually. And the whole situation is either going to end up like Frankenstein or the Great Other/Night King/whatever-is-leading-or-controlling the Others is going to seize control of the situation and Strong into a wight or an Other. He's already halfway there.

5 hours ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

But whatever Qyburn is doing is going to be revealed for us eventually. And the whole situation is either going to end up like Frankenstein or the Great Other/Night King/whatever-is-leading-or-controlling the Others is going to seize control of the situation and Strong into a wight or an Other. He's already halfway there.

I never really considered that as an option. But like you say, he is half way there already.

There must be more to Robert Strong, and I think Qyburn does control him although I am not sure how. Unless of course, that is not his head that was sent to Dorne. But if he is indeed headless, how could he have any volition?

• 1 month later...
On 9/19/2018 at 12:32 PM, KuwabaraTheMan said:

I think the idea of him teaming up with Euron after he has no place in King's Landing makes a lot of sense. Qyburn has no loyalty to anyone; all he cares about his continuing his experiments, and Euron will have a use for him.

Perhaps he sticks around until Aegon takes KL and lives by claiming he can cure Jon Connington's grey scale.

Archived