Orphans of the Greenblood staying in Dorne

Sigella

I re-read aDoD a few days ago and in an Arienne-chapter I started wondering why the Orphans don't just go back to the Rhoyne if they miss it so much? Valyrians that drove them off are gone for more than 300 years, so what is the problem? Like, marble palaces and ancient cities overgrown by flowers sounds a lot better than barges to me.

17 minutes ago, Sigella said:

I re-read aDoD a few days ago and in an Arienne-chapter I started wondering why the Orphans don't just go back to the Rhoyne if they miss it so much? Valyrians that drove them off are gone for more than 300 years, so what is the problem? Like, marble palaces and ancient cities overgrown by flowers sounds a lot better than barges to me.

They have to get there. And most common folk are poor and won't ever travel more than 20 miles from where they are born

4 minutes ago, Dorian Martell's son said:

They have to get there. And most common folk are poor and won't ever travel more than 20 miles from where they are born

But if their whole cultural identity is centered around that wouldn't they work to save up for the journey "home"? Sure it might take generations but that should still be doable over 300 years.

Now that I think of it there might be a really good reason not to return. The fukken Dothraki. Going back to Essos without a dead-killy army or a ton of gold to bribe every khalasar that comes a calling is a one-way-ticket to Slaver's Bay.

12 minutes ago, Ylath's Snout said:

But if their whole cultural identity is centered around that wouldn't they work to save up for the journey "home"? Sure it might take generations but that should still be doable over 300 years.

Says who? 300 years for subsistence living is still only substance. some have made the journey, we met them in dance, but most have stayed 

1 hour ago, Dorian Martell's son said:

Sure, there are risks in such a journey, but lots of people make them all the time though. If that is where your people had its peak, where your God is said to live and the place itself is your "mother" the pull should be pretty big.

2 hours ago, Sigella said:

Sure, there are risks in such a journey, but lots of people make them all the time though. If that is where your people had its peak, where your God is said to live and the place itself is your "mother" the pull should be pretty big.

that is very simplistic. If returning to a homeland  was easy, there would be no black people in Jamaica and no issue with places like Israel 

7 hours ago, Dorian Martell's son said:

that is very simplistic. If returning to a homeland  was easy, there would be no black people in Jamaica and no issue with places like Israel 

Maybe it is. The Israeli and the Orphans have many similarities though. Exodus and returning to their promised land and all.

And isn't there a country on Africa's west coast that was made up of returned former slaves?

I'm not trying to argue that all people of Rhoynar descent "should"  return, only the Orphans, since their cultural identity is all about missing the Rhoyne.

Because Dorne is their home now. Their culture harkens back to those who missed the Rhoyne, but after hundreds of years that’s probably little more than tradition and cultural memory than an actual wish to return to the homeland of their ancestors.

Some might “return” as we saw in Dance, but I doubt the majority, who were born and raised in Dorne, as were their parents, and their parents before them, etc., would be happy to up sticks and travel to a land they’ve never visited and start a new life there.

Archived