Why did George give daenerys everything

manchester_babe

Besides her beauty, nothing was given to her. The girl has suffered abuse from her brother as long as she can remember. She had to endure rape, a completely foreign culture. She had to seduce herself into a relatively comfortable position. She lost it when Drogo died. She hatched the dragons herself. She lost everything but her dragons again. She took everything she has. She had to march through a desert. She had to fight for her dragons in Qarth, although they fought for her too there. She had to fight to gain an army in Astapor. Her rule of Mereen has been a constant struggle. Her closest confidant turned out to be betraying her for a long time. The person she felt safest with died a long time ago. She has been manipulated by Illyrio, who turned out to be actually supporting fAegon. What has come easy for her? 

Taken out of the story, Dany is the only one capable of hatching the dragons. You really want ASOIAF without dragons? 

1. Most Targaryens are said to be good looking.

2. If she wasn't going to get dragons who would? At this point in the story she was the only known Targaryen. 

3. As to her being Queen I wouldn't say that was given to her. Sure she proclaimed herself Queen at the end of AGoT, but just proclaiming something doesn't make it so. Stannis also proclaimed himself King and yet as of now he's only the King of the Nightfort. Daenerys is the Queen of Meereen, which she took by conquest. 

Dany had to run towards her rogue injured dragon, who was in the process of flaming people in the gladiator ring, with a whip, and climb on his back, unsure of any positive outcome.  It would take courage, without any kind of dragon taming or riding lessons. Has anyone here had to do that to earn a pet?

44 minutes ago, manchester_babe said:

Why did Geroge give Dany everything in book 1, inhuman beauty, dragons, her becoming queen in the end. 

This reads like it's coming from a bitter and jealous Jon-fan (and Dany-hater).  George didn't give Dany everything.  Dany earned all of the goodness that she has. 

1. Do you expect somebody like Sansa Stark to have the guts to lead a khalasar through the desert?  No way, right.  Three minutes into the hike and Sansa Stark would demand for her butt to be carried.  
  2. Dany gave up her lover in order to marry a man she didn't love, for the good of the people.  Can you expect Robb Stark to do the same?  No.
  3. Is King Joff brave enough to walk into fire to hatch dragon eggs?  Joffrey is not brave enough to do that.  
  4. Dany gave mercy to her cupbearers even if their families might be involved in terrorism, because the hostages had nothing to do with it.  Would Stannis show the same mercy?  I don't think so.  He didn't show any to his starving men.

Dany spent a lot of her childhood in the streets.  She was forced to marry a barbarian.  She made the best of  it and earned the man's respect.  She is a genius and a very resourceful young girl.  She earned her gifts.  

1 hour ago, Aline de Gavrillac said:

This reads like it's coming from a bitter and jealous Jon-fan (and Dany-hater).  George didn't give Dany everything.  Dany earned all of the goodness that she has. 

1. Do you expect somebody like Sansa Stark to have the guts to lead a khalasar through the desert?  No way, right.  Three minutes into the hike and Sansa Stark would demand for her butt to be carried.  
  2. Dany gave up her lover in order to marry a man she didn't love, for the good of the people.  Can you expect Robb Stark to do the same?  No.
  3. Is King Joff brave enough to walk into fire to hatch dragon eggs?  Joffrey is not brave enough to do that.  
  4. Dany gave mercy to her cupbearers even if their families might be involved in terrorism, because the hostages had nothing to do with it.  Would Stannis show the same mercy?  I don't think so.  He didn't show any to his starving men.

Dany spent a lot of her childhood in the streets.  She was forced to marry a barbarian.  She made the best of  it and earned the man's respect.  She is a genius and a very resourceful young girl.  She earned her gifts.  

1. Sansa is a sheltered,  naive child comparing her with Daenerys is pointless they did not have the same experiences 

2. Its  different Jeyne is a noblewoman even Daenerys wished that Daario had a higher social status so she could marry him

3.Dany was trying to kill herself right there, bravery is not really the point here. she didn't know that she would survive and hatch the dragon eggs.

4. What is the point of taking hostages if you wont even use them. A man is only as good as his word, she made a empty threat and now people will respect her less for not actually delivering. Using the hostages could have saved a few people's lives.

She is certainly gifted but no genius and a lot of the things she has was due to luck. 

Still, she is a little girl and has lot of time to learn to rule.

3 hours ago, Aline de Gavrillac said:

Why do you have to be a Jon supporter to be a Dany hater lol. Speaking for myself I like both characters but she definitely has had a lot of handouts. If you’re going to point out individual things like that though throwing shade on other characters saying they are less than her I will one up you. Daenerys had people quite figuratively carrying her through the desert. Or did you forget all of the handmaidens taken care of her bathing her, feeding her and her men going out and collecting food for her and scouting for her. Dany gave up a lover? Daario? The man who is a sellsword using her to further his own position and wouldn’t be with her lest she didn’t have dragons and power. That lover? King Joffrey you got me there but shes a merciful person? Didn’t she torture a inn keeper and his daughter for information they had no knowledge of just because she was mad? Didn’t she crucify a bunch of slavers who may or may not have been involved in the crucifications of the slaves? Stannis showed mercy to Davos lest I remember. Daenerys is a great character, and can be a great person if you’re on her side, but don’t nitpick things and say she’s better than these others characters who are in totally different situations.

4 hours ago, manchester_babe said:

Why did Geroge give Dany everything in book 1, inhuman beauty, dragons, her becoming queen in the end. 

I remember an interview or an outline in which GRRM wasn’t planning to give Daenerys dragons but decided to since her storyline wouldn’t have been realisticly possible/believeable without them helping her in Essos. I believe a fellow writer suggested it to him during his draft also. If I can find the link for it I’ll edit it in.

4 hours ago, Davjos said:

Besides her beauty, nothing was given to her. The girl has suffered abuse from her brother as long as she can remember. She had to endure rape, a completely foreign culture. She had to seduce herself into a relatively comfortable position. She lost it when Drogo died. She hatched the dragons herself. She lost everything but her dragons again. She took everything she has. She had to march through a desert. She had to fight for her dragons in Qarth, although they fought for her too there. She had to fight to gain an army in Astapor. Her rule of Mereen has been a constant struggle. Her closest confidant turned out to be betraying her for a long time. The person she felt safest with died a long time ago. She has been manipulated by Illyrio, who turned out to be actually supporting fAegon. What has come easy for her? 

Taken out of the story, Dany is the only one capable of hatching the dragons. You really want ASOIAF without dragons? 

The dragons hatched through blood magic not just by Dany going into the fire :bang:.  She has had a lot given to her but others characters have received things also, maybe just not on the scale of her which is what the OP is talking about. Jon has a VS, which even though quite a few characters have what are the odds there’s just one sitting around in CB unused? Tyrion somehow escaped his execution which still baffles me that it went so smoothly and without hinderance 

4 hours ago, Davjos said:

Absolutely. If we can get rid of the Others and Wights as well that would be sweet. That would leave us more focused on characters and human interaction.

9 hours ago, manchester_babe said:

Well, GRRM wrote the story like that, so this is the story we've got. Wishing for it to be otherwise is fan-fic-territory.

Also, as a writer I've toyed around with this too, it is pretty fun to explore what a character becomes if they are given too much. Keeping them good (as opposed to evil) is tricky as hell, though. Like Joff and Cersei (super pretty, wealthy, powerful rulers) we don't question why they got all that because they are bad.

edit: Perhaps this is the reason so many readers vilifies her? I always thought that it was down to misogyny so this would be a much less depressing reason for people to hate her.

5 hours ago, BigBoss1 said:

3.Dany was trying to kill herself right there, bravery is not really the point here. she didn't know that she would survive and hatch the dragon eggs.

4. What is the point of taking hostages if you wont even use them. A man is only as good as his word, she made a empty threat and now people will respect her less for not actually delivering. Using the hostages could have saved a few people's lives.

3. On the contrary, she knew what she was doing, the text is pretty clear about it:

"She heard the screams of frightened horses, and the voices of the Dothraki raised in shouts of fear and terror, and Ser Jorah calling her name and cursing. No, she wanted to shout to him, no, my good knight, do not fear for me. The fire is mine. I am Daenerys Stormborn, daughter of dragons, bride of dragons, mother of dragons, don't you see? Don't you SEE? With a belch of flame and smoke that reached thirty feet into the sky, the pyre collapsed and came down around her. Unafraid, Dany stepped forward into the firestorm, calling to her children."

4. Yep. That was a mistake, she shouldn't have taken hostages in the first place if she wasn't willing to execute them.

It's not a contest. Yeah, part of the fun is rooting for characters, but ultimately Dany is a character in a story and she plays her part. In short it is to fuck shit up. She certainly has not had it easy, but she is written in a position of power in order to generate upheaval. 

34 minutes ago, The Sleeper said:

It's not a contest. Yeah, part of the fun is rooting for characters, but ultimately Dany is a character in a story and she plays her part. In short it is to fuck shit up. She certainly has not had it easy, but she is written in a position of power in order to generate upheaval. 

This. The villain needs to be powerful to be a credible threat.

Everyone's figured out she's the villain, right?

5 hours ago, Sigella said:

Well, GRRM wrote the story like that, so this is the story we've got. Wishing for it to be otherwise is fan-fic-territory.

Also, as a writer I've toyed around with this too, it is pretty fun to explore what a character becomes if they are given too much. Keeping them good (as opposed to evil) is tricky as hell, though. Like Joff and Cersei (super pretty, wealthy, powerful rulers) we don't question why they got all that because they are bad.

edit: Perhaps this is the reason so many readers vilifies her? I always thought that it was down to misogyny so this would be a much less depressing reason for people to hate her.

If never seen anyone say they don’t like her because she’s a women and that’s a terrible reason to dislike her character.

Archived