Why did George give daenerys everything

manchester_babe

Granted, George the author, did make a lot of things go right for Dany, Dragons and becoming Queen, but it wasn't "given" to her in the story. She wasn't born in a castle, have a loving family and been catered to all her life.  She definitely didn't have many choices either.  I won't detail all the hardships she endured and all the risks she took to get where she is, but hers is an impressive story about overcoming difficulties.

30 minutes ago, Widowmaker 811 said:

I’ve always and still do consider the Starks and Jon to be the villains of the story.  Jaime and a few others like Ramsay are also right up there in terms of villainy.  

Well then, you need to read the books again or reassess your comprehension skills. GRRM himself called the Starks the heroes in his football analogy. IIRC, he called the Starks the Giants (the team he roots for) because they’re the heroes. Do a search and you’ll find the reference. And  FYI, initially GRRM meant to name the last book A Time for Wolves. I’m betting you are going to be sorely disappointed with how the story ends.

Dany’s story arc from the end of AGOT does read like she gets away with a lot, while others in-story had to suffer the consequences for their mistakes. For instance, she did make a contract with the slavers at Astapor in bad faith. She wanted the unsullied and tricked the slavers into thinking they would have a dragon in return, while all along she knew exactly what she meant to do. Now we can all agree that the slavers are scum, but had she done this to someone other than the slavers, we would all see the act for what it was — treachery. By the same token, Robb and his men get butchered because he broke his marriage pact. I have a feeling once Dany comes to Westeros, her wars and conflicts won’t be hurrah moments anymore.

To the OP, as others have said above, the author gave her much and more because he most likely means to pull the rug from under her (or rather pull the cushions from under her pretty butt). 

18 hours ago, manchester_babe said:

Why did Geroge give Dany everything in book 1, inhuman beauty, dragons, her becoming queen in the end. 

Looking at the larger picture and the introduction of the story ---

Dany and her brother are living in hiding because they are the supposedly last of the Targs.

Remember "Robert's Rebellion" and the overthrow of Targ rule?

The Targlet's believe the rule of Westeros is theirs.

To answer the three bits of the question I would say ----

The premise of the story is that the Targs have, according to story specifics a striking magical physical beauty.

Dragons because that is another magical trait of Targs, in that they are/were dragon lords.  Dany hatching the dragons is what gives her power. Without the dragons Dany is merely a girl with a historic name.

As to Dany becoming Queen of Westeros and sitting the Iron Throne, it hasn't happened yet.

What is displayed on a screen is not as it is in the books.  Supposedly the dragons are the size of a horse (wing span not included).    Drogon barely pays her heed.    The other two after being set loose from a pit are free ranging and have taken up separate hidey holes.

A Dance with Dragons - The Queens Hand     Far off to the east, beyond the city walls, he saw pale wings moving above a distant line of hills. Viserion. Hunting, mayhaps, or flying just to fly. He wondered where Rhaegal was. Thus far the green dragon had shown himself to be more dangerous than the white.

Sooooooooooo, last I read Dany is lost and sick and beset upon:

A Dance with Dragons - Daenerys X    As the western sky turned the color of a blood bruise, she heard the sound of approaching horses. Dany rose, wiped her hands on her ragged undertunic, and went to stand beside her dragon.     That was how Khal Jhaqo found her, when half a hundred mounted warriors emerged from the drifting smoke.

My question relates to the ^ above quote ---- does Drogon burn them ----- or do Jhaquo & his half a hundred kneel down ---- or or does the dragon fly away with or without Dany?

2 hours ago, Starkz said:

Bad move taking hostages on her part and threatening but not being able to follow through

Yes, she made more enemies without gaining the supposed advantage hostages gave her. Once her enemies understood that  she was a clawless dragon they continued their terrorism 

2 hours ago, BigBoss1 said:

Yes, she made more enemies without gaining the supposed advantage hostages gave her. Once her enemies understood that  she was a clawless dragon they continued their terrorism 

I think you may be overlooking a potential value: in a few years these kids might return to their noble families as Danys allies or advocates. Not a short term gain but if they are treated warmly (which they are from what we've seen) its a longterm investment. The hostages are still mallable so its not unthinkable. 

3 hours ago, teej6 said:

And  FYI, initially GRRM meant to name the last book A Time for Wolves. I’m betting you are going to be sorely disappointed with how the story ends.

Initially, when the series was first thought to be a trilogy, the last book was named The Winds of Winter So that's incorrect.  And when he expanded it (which then included A Time for Wolves as the final book), he expressed on multiple occasions that he was not happy with the title.  But in any case, I'm afraid that using an abandoned book title as a means to predict how the story will end, will also lead to disappointment.

5 hours ago, Starkz said:

Bad move taking hostages on her part and threatening but not being able to follow through

And yet it worked out well for her. She wants a lasting peace in Meereen and the abolition of slavery. It was her move with sparing the hostages that convinced the harpy/meereenese nobles, that Daenerys could be worked with. Mercy is not as bad as many people make out. 

1 minute ago, Makk said:

And yet it worked out well for her. She wants a lasting peace in Meereen and the abolition of slavery. It was her move with sparing the hostages that convinced the harpy/meereenese nobles, that Daenerys could be worked with. Mercy is not as bad as many people make out. 

It didn’t really work out well for her. It just encouraged the Harpys that she wasn’t as tough as they thought she was, that she was weak and the killings continued and still are continuing. The harpies aren’t working with Dany.

5 minutes ago, Starkz said:

It didn’t really work out well for her. It just encouraged the Harpys that she wasn’t as tough as they thought she was, that she was weak and the killings continued and still are continuing. The harpies aren’t working with Dany.

The killings stopped completely after she agreed to marry one of them and slavery was abolished in a remarkably short space of time. It only started again when the shavepate manipulated Baristan. 

2 minutes ago, Makk said:

The killings stopped completely after she agreed to marry one of them and slavery was abolished in a remarkably short space of time. It only started again when the shavepate manipulated Baristan. 

Yes the killings stopped after she married the likely head of the harpies and have resumed since he was imprisoned. We’re reading the same books right?

27 minutes ago, TheSlayerofLies said:

Initially, when the series was first thought to be a trilogy, the last book was named The Winds of Winter So that's incorrect.  And when he expanded it (which then included A Time for Wolves as the final book), he expressed on multiple occasions that he was not happy with the title.  But in any case, I'm afraid that using an abandoned book title as a means to predict how the story will end, will also lead to disappointment.

I’m not making any predictions as to how the story will end just stating the obvious fact that the Stark are the good guys, which even a blind person can see. Besides the author himself confirmed this.

Doesn’t matter if the title was abandoned, the author’s intent was clear and I suspect hasn’t changed. The title of last book was meant to imply it would be a time for wolves to rise. Although he changed the title (which I suspect was done as it gave too much away), the Starks are still going to rise in some way or the other, and anyone who thinks otherwise is deluding themselves. And could you provide me with quotes to these “multiple occasions” where GRRM expressed his dislike for this title? To my knowledge, I don’t think there was any reason provided by GRRM as to why he abandoned the title, just that he did. Anyway, anyone who thinks the Starks are the villains of the story must be doing some really biased subjective fanfic reading of the books. 

12 minutes ago, Starkz said:

Yes the killings stopped after she married the likely head of the harpies and have resumed since he was imprisoned. We’re reading the same books right?

Yeah, what's your point? She got what she originally wanted. Peace and slavery abolished. Not everything that happened was what she wanted but to get peace you have to compromise. She could have subjugated Meereen with fire and blood but she went the peaceful route, and did so successfully. 

I would strongly advise anyone who hasn't to read this series of articles. 

https://meereeneseblot.wordpress.com/2013/09/27/untangling-the-meereenese-knot-part-i-who-poisoned-the-locusts/

3 minutes ago, Makk said:

Yeah, what's your point? She got what she originally wanted. Peace and slavery abolished. Not everything that happened was what she wanted but to get peace you have to compromise. She could have subjugated Meereen with fire and blood but she went the peaceful route, and did so successfully. 

And then threw her peace away to save her weapon of war.

3 minutes ago, chrisdaw said:

And then threw her peace away to save her weapon of war.

Yes, she changed her mind. But when she originally made that decision with the hostages she got what she wanted. She later found out that she didn't like it. 

Although it was really Baristan who threw it away. Peace can still be salvaged if she changes her mind again by the time she gets back. 

1 minute ago, Makk said:

I would strongly advise anyone who hasn't to read this series of articles. 

https://meereeneseblot.wordpress.com/2013/09/27/untangling-the-meereenese-knot-part-i-who-poisoned-the-locusts/

There isn’t peace in Meereen. She had a temporary agreement and right now there is war as there has always been since she arrived in Meereen. Everyone around her has been plotting her downfall.

1 minute ago, Starkz said:

There isn’t peace in Meereen. She had a temporary agreement and right now there is war as there has always been since she arrived in Meereen. Everyone around her has been plotting her downfall.

Right now there is a war because Baristan reneged on the deal that Daenerys made. 

Archived