Why did George give daenerys everything

manchester_babe

5 minutes ago, Starkz said:

Dude there is literally 40+ pages of this stop commenting about it on this thread. You must be very demented to have such short sight and bias towards Janos dying which is ludicrous. Jon executed Janos for insubordination and that’s the end of it. If you think otherwise you need to actually read the books, looks at what GRRM has said about it, or reevaluate your life. Jon didn’t execute him Janos for “vengeance”. He executed him for disobeying his orders and questioning his leadership.

I have read the books and I form my own opinion, thank you very much.

I wasn't part of that thread so I wouldn't know what you guys said in another thread.

2 minutes ago, LionoftheWest said:

There are many, many other punishments that one can take rather than execution for this. Given the nature of the recruits at the Wall. If every Black Brother with an attitude problem would be executed only ghosts would man the Wall. Does there need to be discipline? Yes, absolutely and upheld with violence when needed, but killing off every offender is not a sustainable with the manpower problems the Watch already has.

So you’re admitting he should of been punished you just wanted it to be less harsh :lol:

1 minute ago, Starkz said:

So you’re admitting he should of been punished you just wanted it to be less harsh :lol:

I'm saying that flogging and a few days in the dark cell would have been perfectly sufficient. Does Janos strike you as the strong and unbreakable kind of person? I think it would have broken his delusions just as well.

Just now, LionoftheWest said:

I'm saying that flogging and a few days in the dark cell would have been perfectly sufficient. Does Janos strike you as the strong and unbreakable kind of person? I think it would have broken his delusions just as well.

Janos strikes me as a cut throat that only rose up in the goldcloaks because he was loyal to LF and would do/say anything to save his reptilian skin. 

“Frog faced Lord Slynt sat at the end of the council table, wearing... Sansa stared hard at his ugly face, remembering how he had thrown down her father for Sir Illyian to behead. Wishing she could hurt him. Wishing, that some hero would throw him down, and cut off his head. But a voice inside her whispered, there are no heroes."

Nice bit of foreshadowing from GRRM.

17 minutes ago, LionoftheWest said:

Also people have been killed/tortured for far FAR less reasons by other main characters in power, why aren’t you calling them out?

17 hours ago, BigBoss1 said:

That would require Dany to remain in mereen and she said she only wanted to learn how to rule. She's not staying in slaver's bay for 10+ years. Also she did not think of this possibility she only got the hostages to treathen the nobles.

Even better if she's not staying. Whatever imprint she's made onto her hostages surely couldn't hurt. Maybe they'll refuse forcing other children to strangle puppies and babies some day, who knows? 

27 minutes ago, Sigella said:

Even better if she's not staying. Whatever imprint she's made onto her hostages surely couldn't hurt. Maybe they'll refuse forcing other children to strangle puppies and babies some day, who knows? 

As i said tho she didn't even consider this Possibility.

1 hour ago, LionoftheWest said:

There are many, many other punishments that one can take rather than execution for this. Given the nature of the recruits at the Wall. If every Black Brother with an attitude problem would be executed only ghosts would man the Wall. Does there need to be discipline? Yes, absolutely and upheld with violence when needed, but killing off every offender is not a sustainable with the manpower problems the Watch already has.

He doesnt have an attitide problem..he disobeyed a direct order from the lord commander theres a huge difference. 

Every offence doesnt require death no but in that setting a direct refusal to obey a  clearly stated order does

21 hours ago, Starkz said:

There is war with the Yunkai because Drogon decided to fly into the pit causing a panic and people to die causing the Yunkai to site a breach in their agreement, a poor excuse making it likely that they had no intentions of peace, using the death of an old frail man as their reasoning. Even before this someone tried to posion Daenerys. The war never stopped.

Yes, but the war with Yunkai has absolutely nothing to do with the hostages. There was also a civil war within Meereen, and the peace that resulted from Daenerys's actions is what Baristan threw away. The person who poisoned the locusts was not a member of the Harpy, it was Skahaz mo Kandaq, the Shavepate. Granted this hasn't been revealed in the books yet, but I am absolutely convinced about it. Again, I advise you to read the link I posted before.

22 hours ago, chrisdaw said:

They'd have reverted back to slavery without Dany's presence, probably not even by another name. That's what the bed slave scene is about. And they were creeping it back in her presence, chipping away. Her hostage decision told them she was placable and gave them the belief that they'd prevail in a game of attrition.

Unlikely. Even if they wanted to they don't have the manpower to control all the former slaves.

It also depends what you mean without her presence. If you mean the lack of her presence because she flew off on the back of Drogan, then there is no possible way that could happen because the vast majority of the soldiers in the city would not allow it.

Without her presence because she leaves to head off to Westeros, there is always the threat she returns on the back of a dragon if if they got help from other cities in Slaver Bay. The only message not killing the hostages sent them was that she could be just and merciful to those not at fault. She also sent a message by nailing up all the Meereeneese nobles to mirror what they did to the slaves.

Give her everything?  Daenerys lost her parents, her kingdom, her brothers, husband, and son.  I don't know anyone who has suffered more than Daenerys.  I am very happy for her to get the dragons.  It is hard not to be a fan of the girl.  She is born awesome.  I guess that is a gift because most people are not.  I might suggest Tywin was also born awesome and he never had to worry about the basics of living.   Daenerys deserves to live the life of plenty.  She deserves to be happy, if that is what she wants.  

2 hours ago, Sigella said:

Deciding not to harm the hostages was the moral thing to do.  I cannot argue, nor fault her, for that decision.  Still, that kind of brutality might work.  At least in the short term.   Daenerys is right for the long term.  She wants to win them over and that will never happen by killing their children.  I don't think she can win over their parents but they will not live forever and that can be guaranteed if they misbehave.  The children of the masters, taken away from their sadistic parents, have a chance to grow up with only distant memories of what it was like to be a master.  

23 hours ago, Sigella said:

I think you may be overlooking a potential value: in a few years these kids might return to their noble families as Danys allies or advocates. Not a short term gain but if they are treated warmly (which they are from what we've seen) its a longterm investment. The hostages are still mallable so its not unthinkable. 

That's correct.  This is the same thing the Starks might have done to Theon.  Raising him away from his pirate of a family might make a good man out of him.  It's worth a try.  

39 minutes ago, Makk said:

Yes, but the war with Yunkai has absolutely nothing to do with the hostages. There was also a civil war within Meereen, and the peace that resulted from Daenerys's actions is what Baristan threw away. The person who poisoned the locusts was not a member of the Harpy, it was Skahaz mo Kandaq, the Shavepate. Granted this hasn't been revealed in the books yet, but I am absolutely convinced about it. Again, I advise you to read the link I posted before.

It could of been but Hizadhar is just as guilty a person as Shavepate. There’s no way he’s not in cohoots in some way with the Harpy’s. You’re saying Barristan caused the civil war in Meereen to resume, I agree him taking control from Hizdahr caused the civil war there to resume, but the civil war isn’t the only one being fought and you stated before that Barristan was the one who caused war and “threw the peace away” when in fact they’ve always been at war. 

On 8/21/2018 at 11:39 AM, Starkz said:

Only male character who could even have the IT is Tommen or Stannis and it is rightfully Stannis right now so anyone saying some other male character should be ruler is probably trolling. I don’t think Tywin would be able to stop 3 dragons and the enormous army Dany is going to have once she comes to Westeros alone so that’s hilarious and I don’t think anyone legitimately likes the Freys.

The throne does not rightfully belong to Stannis.  

7 minutes ago, The Pink Letter said:

Deciding not to harm the hostages was the moral thing to do.  I cannot argue, nor fault her, for that decision.  Still, that kind of brutality might work.  At least in the short term.   Daenerys is right for the long term.  She wants to win them over and that will never happen by killing their children.  I don't think she can win over their parents but they will not live forever and that can be guaranteed if they misbehave.  The children of the masters, taken away from their sadistic parents, have a chance to grow up with only distant memories of what it was like to be a master.  

I don’t think anyone thinks Daenerys should of killed those children we just think she shouldn’t have taken them in the first place.

49 minutes ago, Makk said:

Unlikely. Even if they wanted to they don't have the manpower to control all the former slaves.

It also depends what you mean without her presence. If you mean the lack of her presence because she flew off on the back of Drogan, then there is no possible way that could happen because the vast majority of the soldiers in the city would not allow it.

Without her presence because she leaves to head off to Westeros, there is always the threat she returns on the back of a dragon if if they got help from other cities in Slaver Bay. The only message not killing the hostages sent them was that she could be just and merciful to those not at fault. She also sent a message by nailing up all the Meereeneese nobles to mirror what they did to the slaves.

You seem to want to argue against the actual text. It's not a hypothetical or questionable, without her presence the place falls apart, the Harpy goes back to killing and the peace ends. It happened.

And in her presence they were chipping away at her, waiting her out.

34 minutes ago, The Pink Letter said:

How can she win the masters over when she herself kidnapped the children.

First she wants to play the ruthless ruler and then the gracious queen. Thats indecisive and ineffective.

Archived