Which character would you say have changed the most\least since season 1?

Feologild

So which character would you say have changed the most since the beginning of the show and up to the end of season 7 ?

Also which character would you say have changed the least since the beginning and up to the end of season 7 ?

First of all, the characters are believable, they are complex, not black-and-white and most of them undergo a realistic development along the show. This is a very strong point of GOT and its portrayed characters.

MOST -- Of course the youngest characters make the most visible development, e.g. Arya from sweet tomboy to tough assassin. She kept true to her basic character and values, though, of adventure, love of her family, sort of knightly ambitions. Sansa developed from naive, stupid girlish queen phantasies to an adult woman with at least a basic grasp of power and being a fairly responsible Lady of Winterfell. Both girls suffered and toughened through a lot of experiences. Obviously young Daenerys grew into a tough and powerful adult queen. This transition was depicted gradually over all seven seasons.

LEAST -- Petyr Baelish (Littlefinger) was quite constant thoughout all seasons. We learned of different facets of his character, but basically he and his motivations stayed the same. He is one of the constants of the show, one of the main key figures setting all this up. Also I believe Varys stayed the same all the time, even if learned a little bit more about his motivation along the show. Cersei kept true to herself, too. She bittered up a little bit with the death of all three children and got even a bit tougher after all, but basically she's the same.

I'll go with someone different just to say it.

Most - Samwell Tarly. He went from being so meek that he wouldn't even look people in the eye to now being more confident, vocal, brave, willing to break the laws and rules to do what it right.

Least - Arya.  From the minute we meet her she is a tom boy who is better at archery than her older brother, will not be a "lady", trains with a sword master and is that way to the last episode. She has trained to be a weapon the entire series.

On 8/21/2018 at 11:41 AM, Kajjo said:

First of all, the characters are believable, they are complex, not black-and-white and most of them undergo a realistic development along the show. This is a very strong point of GOT and its portrayed characters.

MOST -- Of course the youngest characters make the most visible development, e.g. Arya from sweet tomboy to tough assassin. She kept true to her basic character and values, though, of adventure, love of her family, sort of knightly ambitions. Sansa developed from naive, stupid girlish queen phantasies to an adult woman with at least a basic grasp of power and being a fairly responsible Lady of Winterfell. Both girls suffered and toughened through a lot of experiences. Obviously young Daenerys grew into a tough and powerful adult queen. This transition was depicted gradually over all seven seasons.

LEAST -- Petyr Baelish (Littlefinger) was quite constant thoughout all seasons. We learned of different facets of his character, but basically he and his motivations stayed the same. He is one of the constants of the show, one of the main key figures setting all this up. Also I believe Varys stayed the same all the time, even if learned a little bit more about his motivation along the show. Cersei kept true to herself, too. She bittered up a little bit with the death of all three children and got even a bit tougher after all, but basically she's the same.

i agree with your most descriptions. its hard to argue against the younger characters who we watch literally just grow up in front of our eyes. 

but to be a little different I would nominate Theon. 

As for the least, it has to be characters that did not really have character arcs. I think Cersei did fundamentally change. She got worse as the series unfolded. 

But LF and Varys never changed as they never had a character arc. Tywin as well never really changed. Ramsey never really changed. 

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 2:41 PM, Kajjo said:

LEAST -- Petyr Baelish (Littlefinger) was quite constant thoughout all seasons.

(insert over-used joke about Baelish's constantly changing accent)

@Feologild nice question.  I don't necessarily agree with the assertion that the youngest characters are the ones who changed the most - Arya seems mostly the same to me (remember, she committed her first murder in season 1), Jon is the same brooding bitch outside of his haircut, and Daenerys has been the same entitled, defiant bitch since midway through season 1 (oh Khaleesi, if only you'd have listened when they told you not to trust that witch).  Bran... Bran's still the petulant younger brother and poor communicator.  Sansa is the only one I see marked change in, as she is no longer the naïve woman she was, and she is capable of vicious acts.  She is colder.  She is more like Cersei.  Sansa is one of my favorite characters both in books and on the show, so I'm biased, but she was my gut reaction pick.  A case could be made for Tyrion or Jaime.  I'd say even Varys has changed, from the game playing power hungry whisperer to a guy who speaks truth to power and is "for the people in the streets."  On the other side of the coin, there are plenty of characters who have barely changed at all - Cersei, Bronn, Brienne, Littlefinger, Yara, etc.

@dbunting how 'bout dem Cowboys!  Ugh, I hope Travis Frederick and Zach Martin are okay.

The most: Probably Sansa. Right up there with Jamie and maybe Theon to a point.  

Least: Probably Dany or Cersei. Cersei has had minor changes throughout the show but very little. Dany changed a bit in the beginning of the first season. Since then has not changed at all. So I would flip a coin on those two.

MOST - Jaime Lannister and Sansa Stark. I cant get enough of them. Every  time I rewatch or read the books again I found something to love in their characters or their arc story. Jaime went from a smartass arrogant fool, to a man desperately trying to find  what is left of his honor and prove to himself that there still some greatness inside of him.  The way he outsmart Tyrion and defeated Daenerys armies on season 7 proved that he does learns with his mistakes. 

Sansa was the naive spoiled little girl, who was taken away from a world of fantasy and put into a living hell. The fact that in the show she was forced to deal with both Joffrey and Ramsey, the two most evil characters of this story and still survived with dignity its amazing. She is an adult now. She is calm, mature and always well put together. The way she was handling Winterfell on season 7 was great.

LEAST - It has to be Arya Stark. Arya was my first love when I started reading the books, but I have to say, she was a hot headed  tomboy on book 1 and she still acts like one in season 7. I rolled my eyes when she wanting to kill the Lords of the North for not respecting Jon Snow. She can still be that stupid little girl who smacked Joffrey with a stick making the situation much  worse for everyone else. I was  really disappointed on her. 

The Imp, he was as he was written to by by GRRM in Season One. Then, in Season 2, The process of Sainthood took shape and now, he is the most sickeningly sanctimonious, obnoxious know it all. He is insufferable.

Cersei has changed the least, she is still as she was a scheming, lying, power hungry, manipulative bitch whom no one should trust but for some reason, everybody seems to and to their own demise for doing so.

On 8/26/2018 at 5:01 PM, A Ghost of Someone said:

The Imp, he was as he was written to by by GRRM in Season One. Then, in Season 2, The process of Sainthood took shape and now, he is the most sickeningly sanctimonious, obnoxious know it all. He is insufferable.

Oh, I could not agree more!

Archived