Questions surrounding Alastair Reynolds' Elysium Fire

Frey Filet

I just finished the book and am eager to hear what others thought about the ending.  I for one was baffled and wasn't sure what to make of the last chapter (the "Son" climbing into the hollowed-out white tree and carving "Julius" and "Caleb" into the tree's interior walls).  I understanding there was supposed to be some ambiguity regarding the identities of Caleb and Julius but I felt this ending simply made things more ambiguous, especially considering that Marlon, who supposedly died at Sparver's hand, and the "Son," were living at the Shell House when Caleb-Julius should have been staying with the Ice Mendicants at Hospice Idlewild.  What am I missing?!

Overall I found the book to be a bit of a disappointment.  It didn't appear to move forward any of the general storylines in the Revelation Space universe.  I initially thought it would uncover the origins of the Melding Plague, in addition to advancing the Aurora and the Clockmaker storylines.  I'm also curious to know what became of the Solid Orrery and the Voi ability to manipulate the popular vote when needed.  

4 hours ago, Frey Filet said:

I just finished the book and am eager to hear what others thought about the ending.  I for one was baffled and wasn't sure what to make of the last chapter (the "Son" climbing into the hollowed-out white tree and carving "Julius" and "Caleb" into the tree's interior walls).  I understanding there was supposed to be some ambiguity regarding the identities of Caleb and Julius but I felt this ending simply made things more ambiguous, especially considering that Marlon, who supposedly died at Sparver's hand, and the "Son," were living at the Shell House when Caleb-Julius should have been staying with the Ice Mendicants at Hospice Idlewild.  What am I missing?!

Overall I found the book to be a bit of a disappointment.  It didn't appear to move forward any of the general storylines in the Revelation Space universe.  I initially thought it would uncover the origins of the Melding Plague, in addition to advancing the Aurora and the Clockmaker storylines.  I'm also curious to know what became of the Solid Orrery and the Voi ability to manipulate the popular vote when needed.  

Apparently there will be more books in the series.

As for the Melding Plague, that was explained in Chasm City: the alien grub Gideon brought the plague to the city. The grubs were immune because they had developed the "Dream Fuel" that counteracted it.

Archived