Why didn't cersei hire a faceless man to kill tyrion?

Euron Lannister

But shouldn't she have the money? she is currently the head of house lannister and i think she should be mad enough to spend a big part of the lannister gold reserves to kill him.

i have 'hope' in swifty, not that i want to see tyrion dead, but not een trying to get a faceless man is kind of a mini plot hole.

also seeing a faceless man work out of the victim's perspective would be very interesting

2 minutes ago, Euron Lannister said:

But shouldn't she have the money? she is currently the head of house lannister and i think she should be mad enough to spend a big part of the lannister gold reserves to kill him.

Wouldn't Kevan be the leader of House Lannister, well before he got arrow'd anyway. Not sure all the other Lannisters would want to blow a bunch of gold on something minor in the grand scheme of things like killing Tyrion with Faegon in the Stormlands and snow on the winds. 

Maybe the Faceless Men want to be pay in something other than gold. Something Cersei is unwill to spend.

Cersei seems to figure that offering a lordship is sufficient, and, given the apparent death rate among dwarves (including Penny's brother), she is probably correct.  The problem with Tyrion isn't killing him, it's finding him in the first place.  If he hadn't managed to stay hidden so effectively, he would probably be dead by now.

Cost. The Faceless Men charge basically all of what you have. For the Lannisters, that's a big chunk of gold. Really big - like the size of Casterly Rock. "Lordships" in some wretched savage backwater like Westeros have no value to them. They're Braavosi.

It's possible, that Iron Bank and The House of Black and White are two sides of the same iron coin, or two parts of the same organisation. The Iron Bank always gets their money back, because if people, that took money from them, won't pay them back, then the Bank will send Faceless Men to collect, life instead of money. And then, when unpaying offender will be dead, and he/she will be replaiced by someone, who is next in line, then that someone will be again contacted by managers of Iron Bank, and will be reminded about that debt. This new person will agree to pay, or will be dealt with, in the same manner, as the previous scrooge.

So it could be, that Cersei did contacted Faceless Men, and asked them to kill Tyrion, but they refused to have business with her, because she refused to pay back Lannisters' and Crown's debts to Iron Bank.

4 minutes ago, Megorova said:

So it could be, that Cersei did contacted Faceless Men, ...

An interesting possibility! I'm not yet convinced of the Iron Bank/Faceless Men link, although certain aspects of it do make sense. Which makes me wonder: why did Jaqen H'gar go to Oldtown and immediately managed to procure a skeleton key to every room in the Citadel?

The high price for the Faceless Men is not because they can find anyone anywhere, but because they kill someone in a way that doesn't generate suspicion (as if it was an accident). That's not what Cersei intends with Tyrion, as the problem is to find him, not exactly face the consequences of the murder since he was sentenced to die.

I've always wondered though why she haven't ordered a Faceless Man to kill Robert. And for a while, I did consider that this was actually the case, as Robert's death seems like an accident and Jaqen H'gar was, for some reason, in King's Landing. I was wrong though, as we can see Cersei's though on Robert's murder during one of her chapters in AFFC.

I do feel like the Faceless Men is a very OP resource not many people use. Like, why Robert haven't sent one to kill Daenerys, she wasn't hard to find.

I don't think it is supposed to be a casual affair. For one thing people in power would be dropping like flies and for another the authorities in Braavos would not be as comfortable in having them operating openly in their city. There must be a mechanism that limits the number of assassinations that they undertake. 

From what we have seen there is a reason they call the price they demand a sacrifice. It is supposed to really hurt. The father of the Waif supposedly gave up two thirds of the wealth and the daughter that he saught to avenge. By comparison, Cersei would need to pay two thirds of her wealth and Tommen. I also doubt that they would accept commissions via proxies.

In Cersei's case she probably didn't think about it.

That said, a faceless man would probably have a much better chance of finding Tyrion than anyone else, considering their information gathering skills. 

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 6:45 PM, Euron Lannister said:

or does Lord Swift have a second mission in Braavos?

Swift is sent to Braavos by Kevan and Mace, not Cersei.

10 hours ago, Megorova said:

So it could be, that Cersei did contacted Faceless Men, and asked them to kill Tyrion, but they refused to have business with her, because she refused to pay back Lannisters' and Crown's debts to Iron Bank.

Unlikely, as we probably would have been made aware in her POV.

8 hours ago, VinAbqrq said:

I do feel like the Faceless Men is a very OP resource not many people use. Like, why Robert haven't sent one to kill Daenerys, she wasn't hard to find.

It was suggested at the Small Council when they decided to kill Daenerys. Littlefinger talked them out of it on the grounds that they were too expensive.

Honestly, I just doubt Cersei even thought of it. She probably thought that with the power and resources she had that there was no need to go to the Faceless Men. Once she located Tyrion, she probably would have had little trouble sending someone to kill him, without having to take out a second mortgage on Casterly Rock. That's if some bounty hunter doesn't get him first.

3 hours ago, Shouldve Taken The Black said:

Swift is sent to Braavos by Kevan and Mace, not Cersei.

Yes, but that doesn't mean cersei couln't have contacted hm to give him this mission.

sending qyburn to talk to him for example or maybe swift spoke to cersei himselft after adwd ended.

3 hours ago, Shouldve Taken The Black said:

Honestly, I just doubt Cersei even thought of it. She probably thought that with the power and resources she had that there was no need to go to the Faceless Men. Once she located Tyrion, she probably would have had little trouble sending someone to kill him, without having to take out a second mortgage on Casterly Rock. That's if some bounty hunter doesn't get him first.

you might be right there, but i still think she should at least have thought about it, otherwise it seems a bit plot-forced to me.

Cersie is Queen of the 7k why would she need to blow a fortune on the death of Tyrion? She can just command his death and it would be carried out to the best of who ever she gave the command to ability. Since Cersie has a lot of money I think the FM would ask something more out of her since money isnt important. 

4 minutes ago, Euron Lannister said:

Yes, but that doesn't mean cersei couln't have contacted hm to give him this mission.

sending qyburn to talk to him for example or maybe swift spoke to cersei himselft after adwd ended.

After her arrest, he's Kevan's man, not hers. He wouldn't just mindlessly do whatever Cersei tells him. If you mean after Kevan's death, well it's conceivable, but strikes me as unlikely. We don't know what the balance of power is in KL after Kevan's death, but with her trial, and the Tyrells, to content with, I doubt Cersei has the time or the interest in despatching messages to Swyft about Tyrion. Qyburn's too useful to her to use just to relay messages.

5 minutes ago, Euron Lannister said:

you might be right there, but i still think she should at least have thought about it, otherwise it seems a bit plot-forced to me.

If she thought about it, she decided against it, probably due to the cost, as others have said, or she saw little point, as the promise of a lordship seemed adequate.

As others have pointed out, it's not at all common to hire Faceless Men. It wouldn't be at all surprising if the idea didn't even occur to her.

Archived