Why didn't cersei hire a faceless man to kill tyrion?

Euron Lannister

2 minutes ago, Shouldve Taken The Black said:

After her arrest, he's Kevan's man, not hers.

yes, but she is still his liege lord, so i think he would not refuse, although he might not go and just say the hobaw refused him.

4 minutes ago, Shouldve Taken The Black said:

If you mean after Kevan's death, well it's conceivable, but strikes me as unlikely. We don't know what the balance of power is in KL after Kevan's death, but with her trial, and the Tyrells, to content with, I doubt Cersei has the time or the interest in despatching messages to Swyft about Tyrion.

Yes i mean after kevan and pycelle died, the she is still his liege lord and when no new regend was picked yet, he could think she will become regent again after her trial and then he should follow her orders when he wants to keep his council position. and its not like it would take long to tell qyburn "and btw. when swift goes to braavos, tell him he should get a faceless man to kill the monster who killed my son"

6 minutes ago, Shouldve Taken The Black said:

Qyburn's too useful to her to use just to relay messages.

yes he is usefull to her, but him telling swift to hire a faceless man doesn't take so much time

9 minutes ago, Shouldve Taken The Black said:

probably due to the cost,

i doubt that, i think its pretty uncerseilike to decide against something, she is that mad about, because she thinks it costs to much, especially since i don't think the real cost, like giving a child away, is common knowledge, otherwise the small council wouldn't have considered it.

12 minutes ago, Shouldve Taken The Black said:

or she saw little point, as the promise of a lordship seemed adequate.

this is more likely, but she shoul at least think about it imo.

13 minutes ago, Shouldve Taken The Black said:

As others have pointed out, it's not at all common to hire Faceless Men. It wouldn't be at all surprising if the idea didn't even occur to her.

yes its not common, but if it popsup when daenerys is a threat to the throne, why didn't it when tyrion who is belived to kill joffrey is on the run?

2 minutes ago, Euron Lannister said:

yes its not common, but if it popsup when daenerys is a threat to the throne, why didn't it when tyrion who is belived to kill joffrey is on the run?

Because the same people weren't discussing it. If I recall, it was a conversation between Pycelle and Littlefinger, as part of a general debate on the Small Council. In the case of Tyrion, it was just a decree from Cersei, without consulting anyone else.

3 minutes ago, Euron Lannister said:
27 minutes ago, Shouldve Taken The Black said:

After her arrest, he's Kevan's man, not hers.

yes, but she is still his liege lord, so i think he would not refuse, although he might not go and just say the hobaw refused him.

If you mean after Kevan's death, well it's conceivable, but strikes me as unlikely. We don't know what the balance of power is in KL after Kevan's death, but with her trial, and the Tyrells, to content with, I doubt Cersei has the time or the interest in despatching messages to Swyft about Tyrion.

Yes i mean after kevan and pycelle died, the she is still his liege lord and when no new regend was picked yet, he could think she will become regent again after her trial and then he should follow her orders when he wants to keep his council position. and its not like it would take long to tell qyburn "and btw. when swift goes to braavos, tell him he should get a faceless man to kill the monster who killed my son"

Qyburn's too useful to her to use just to relay messages.

yes he is usefull to her, but him telling swift to hire a faceless man doesn't take so much time

Well, we'll have to see won't we, but we've had no indication any of this happened or is going to happen.

The role of the Faceless Men in this story isn't just to be hired killers for one of the villains. They have their own agenda and internal logic, so I just don't think this is something that will happen.

You know, thinking about this some more, Cersei probably isn't interested in a quiet, apparently natural death for her hated little brother. She wants, at the very least, his head to mount on the castle walls. This doesn't appear to be a typical service of the Faceless Men, that we have ever read about. She'd probably be even happier to get him, alive, under her control to provide Tyrion with a long and tortured death. Maybe have Qyburn whip up something like the Mountain got.

On 8/21/2018 at 1:45 PM, Euron Lannister said:

... or who ever she wants to see dead?

this always bothered me, it seems like the best way to get rid of someone.

or does Lord Swift have a second mission in Braavos?

he would make a perfect face to sneak into KL btw

Tyrion is a small threat.  She already has thugs sending her dwarf body parts in the hopes of a reward.  A bounty is more effective.

17 hours ago, Euron Lannister said:

trying to hire a faceless man, in cersei's name, to kill tyrion.

She doesn't need to hire a FM. The ravens been flapping and the ships been sailing with word of a bounty on Tyrion's head.

On 8/21/2018 at 1:45 PM, Euron Lannister said:

or does Lord Swift have a second mission in Braavos?

The only reason Swyft was sent to Braavos was to get money. Contrary to what the show displayed the Iron Bank is rather upset with Cersei. I'm thinking that is why the Iron Bank sought out Stannis.

A Dance with Dragons - Epilogue    "Sellswords fight for coin," declared Grand Maester Pycelle. "With enough gold, we might persuade the Golden Company to hand over Lord Connington and the pretender."     "Aye, if we had gold," Ser Harys Swyft said. "Alas, my lords, our vaults contain only rats and roaches. I have written again to the Myrish bankers. If they will agree to make good the crown's debt to the Braavosi and extend us a new loan, mayhaps we will not have to raise the taxes. Elsewise—"    "The magisters of Pentos have been known to lend money as well," said Ser Kevan. "Try them." The Pentoshi were even less like to be of help than the Myrish money changers, but the effort must be made. Unless a new source of coin could be found, or the Iron Bank persuaded to relent, he would have no choice but to pay the crown's debts with Lannister gold. He dare not resort to new taxes, not with the Seven Kingdoms crawling with rebellion. Half the lords in the realm could not tell taxation from tyranny, and would bolt to the nearest usurper in a heartbeat if it would save them a clipped copper. "If that fails, you may well need to go to Braavos, to treat with the Iron Bank yourself."/

Swyft's mission is not a mystery. The mystery is the Iron Bank sought out Stannis.   Guess they had some good Intel as to Stannis' whereabouts. The banker showed up at the Wall. Made a deal with LC Snow and then the Banker carried on to find Stannis in the snows of winter.

2 hours ago, Clegane'sPup said:

She doesn't need to hire a FM. The ravens been flapping and the ships been sailing with word of a bounty on Tyrion's head.

which hasn't worked yet

2 hours ago, Clegane'sPup said:

A Dance with Dragons - Epilogue

this does only proove he was sent because of the iron bank, but it does not proove he did not get a secret second mission after wards.

also your quote took place before pycelle and kevan died, so before cersei could absorb the power vacuum. just think of swifts position, when the regent is dead, and the woman who is his liege lord and has a good chance to become regent again has a mission for him, he would follow, or at least fake it.

and he would have sailed to braavos anyways

3 hours ago, Widowmaker 811 said:

A bounty is more effective.

not when he is beyond valyria. the bounty hunter would need to travel around half of the known world twice

53 minutes ago, Euron Lannister said:

which hasn't worked yet

yep, I agree the citizens of Westeros are loping off heads of dwarfs.

55 minutes ago, Euron Lannister said:

this does only proove he was sent because of the iron bank, but it does not proove he did not get a secret second mission after wards.

yep, you are correct

56 minutes ago, Euron Lannister said:

also your quote took place before pycelle and kevan died, so before cersei could absorb the power vacuum. just think of swifts position, when the regent is dead, and the woman who is his liege lord and has a good chance to become regent again has a mission for him, he would follow, or at least fake it.

and he would have sailed to braavos anyways

okay, Swyft, doesn't go to Braavos to make nice. Seems you totally blew off what martin wrote.

3 hours ago, Clegane'sPup said:

A Dance with Dragons - Epilogue    "Sellswords fight for coin," declared Grand Maester Pycelle. "With enough gold, we might persuade the Golden Company to hand over Lord Connington and the pretender."     "Aye, if we had gold," Ser Harys Swyft said. "Alas, my lords, our vaults contain only rats and roaches. I have written again to the Myrish bankers. If they will agree to make good the crown's debt to the Braavosi and extend us a new loan, mayhaps we will not have to raise the taxes. Elsewise—"    "The magisters of Pentos have been known to lend money as well," said Ser Kevan. "Try them." The Pentoshi were even less like to be of help than the Myrish money changers, but the effort must be made. Unless a new source of coin could be found, or the Iron Bank persuaded to relent, he would have no choice but to pay the crown's debts with Lannister gold. He dare not resort to new taxes, not with the Seven Kingdoms crawling with rebellion. Half the lords in the realm could not tell taxation from tyranny, and would bolt to the nearest usurper in a heartbeat if it would save them a clipped copper. "If that fails, you may well need to go to Braavos, to treat with the Iron Bank yourself."/

Cersei didn't need to hire a FM to kill her bother. Tyrion is a wanted man as is Sansa ---- damn dem ravens, ships and gossipers.

Curious am I, is your avatar the Vision? I have the limited series from 1980's. Wanna make a deal?

Would Cersei (like the Waif's father) want to pay 2/3 of what she has ? And what does she have that is actually hers, alone?

She refuses to become the Lady of Casterly Rock ... As regent she had access to the Crown's treasury, but the Crown's debts (on which she has reneged) are eating away at that. ... And what if the price asked was of a more personal nature? E.G., would she give herself, or Tommen or Myrcella to the HoB&W ? ... Would she give up Jaime completely ?

The price asked is always high and of a very heavy nature.

I don't think hiring a FM would ever be an option for her.

1 hour ago, bemused said:

Would Cersei (like the Waif's father) want to pay 2/3 of what she has ? And what does she have that is actually hers, alone?

She refuses to become the Lady of Casterly Rock ... As regent she had access to the Crown's treasury, but the Crown's debts (on which she has reneged) are eating away at that. ... And what if the price asked was of a more personal nature? E.G., would she give herself, or Tommen or Myrcella to the HoB&W ? ... Would she give up Jaime completely ?

Cersei is the Lady of Casterly Rock. She only refused to give up the regency. It is after all the biggest job. But she hasn't given up her title. I don't have access to the books right now but I believe she is cited as Lady of Casterly Rock in the appendix. 

10 hours ago, bemused said:

:agree:

The whole point of the FM's 'price' is that it is not always paid in coin. The Waif's story shows the price must be a sacrifice, and Cersei is too arrogant to make a sacrifice. This is probably why so few hits are made against lords or monarchs - those who would want the hit are too proud to pay the price...

11 minutes ago, Rufus Snow said:

:agree:

The whole point of the FM's 'price' is that it is not always paid in coin. The Waif's story shows the price must be a sacrifice, and Cersei is too arrogant to make a sacrifice. This is probably why so few hits are made against lords or monarchs - those who would want the hit are too proud to pay the price...

You guys forget something. Cersei doesn't even consider FM. Why would she? It's not like Tyrion has friends, influence or money at the time of his escape. He survived by pure luck.

Giving lordship is enough to motivate a whole kingdom to look for him.

There are three reasons to hire the Faceless Men:

1.  You need the death to look like something other than a murder, and haven't the skill to do it yourself.

2.  Your target is too well protected, or otherwise difficult to kill.

3.  You lack the ability to do it yourself and get away with it.

None of this applies to Cersei's desire to kill Tyrion.  He isn't difficult to kill, he is merely difficult to find.  And Cersei is perfectly happy with everyone knowing he was murdered and that she is ultimately responsible.  No need to go to the trouble of hiring FM at this point, especially considering the extravagant price they would likely demand.

Archived