Will Daenerys turn to any religion?

Prince Viserion

I mean, so far she doesn't give any indication to have a steadfast set of beliefs.

Most of the characters who aren't Ironborn or Northerners believe in the 7 faced god, right? Robert used to swear on them a lot.

The Northerners (including all the starks) and thus the wildlings are believers in the old gods; both Aeron and Victarion seem to be believers in the Drowned God and I even would go as far as to bet that so does Euron. But Dany doesn't seem inclined to any religious belief, and she doesn't seem to be an Atheist either.

Will she convert to a religion? like, i dunno, R'hollorism or any other.

Because a good bunch of religious characters seem to be interested in her.

• 2 weeks later...

No, Dany will not becone a true follower of any religion. She will wear her floppy ears when she has to, but deep down I think she is an atheist, agnostic at the very least.

I believe she also understands the truth of old Valyria: where all the gods are honoured, none is honoured.

11 hours ago, EloImFizzy said:

I don't know about Daenerys, but I'm pretty sure Euron doesn't worship any God. If anything he wants to become a God himself. xD

I think Danys got a bit of a complex belief in herself and God too.

Up here in her garden Dany sometimes felt like a god, living atop the highest mountain in the world.

Do all gods feel so lonely? Some must, surely. Missandei had told her of the Lord of Harmony, worshiped by the Peaceful People of Naath; he was the only true god, her little scribe said, the god who always was and always would be, who made the moon and stars and earth, and all the creatures that dwelt upon them. Poor Lord of Harmony. Dany pitied him. It must be terrible to be alone for all time, attended by hordes of butterfly women you could make or unmake at a word. Westeros had seven gods at least, though Viserys had told her that some septons said the seven were only aspects of a single god, seven facets of a single crystal. That was just confusing. The red priests believed in two gods, she had heard, but two who were eternally at war. Dany liked that even less. She would not want to be eternally at war.

In her vision in the House of the Undying, Dany saw grown up Rhaego, under banner of fiery stallion, with fire coming out of his mouth (kiss of life of red prists), and burning city behind his back. Rhaego was supposed to be the Stallion that will mount the world, unite all khalasars into one, and make all people of the world his herd. So that vision combines in itself elements of two religions - Dothraki and R'hllor's - fiery stallion. So probably Dany will bring together Dothraki and followers of R'hllor, and make a new religion, that after Second Long Night will become dominating religion of Planetos.

16 hours ago, The First Bloodrider said:

She will not be sincere about any particular religion but she will make use of them to her advantage.  

9 hours ago, Jaehaerys Tyrell said:

Daenerys considers herself a follower of the Faith of the Seven but pays it no mind, likely because of her upbringing. I think she will be willing to believe, or pretend it believe, in whichever religion can further her goals the most. 

8 hours ago, Rufus Snow said:

No, Dany will not becone a true follower of any religion. She will wear her floppy ears when she has to, but deep down I think she is an atheist, agnostic at the very least.

I believe she also understands the truth of old Valyria: where all the gods are honoured, none is honoured.

:agree:  Religion will be a tool for her to help heal the wounds of slavery and the long night.  Religion has its uses to comfort the masses.  

17 hours ago, The First Bloodrider said:

She will not be sincere about any particular religion but she will make use of them to her advantage.  

9 hours ago, Rufus Snow said:

10 hours ago, Jaehaerys Tyrell said:

Daenerys considers herself a follower of the Faith of the Seven but pays it no mind, likely because of her upbringing. I think she will be willing to believe, or pretend it believe, in whichever religion can further her goals the most. 

All of these, especially the bolded parts; whether she stays in Slaver's Bay, goes with the Dothraki or goes to Westeros, she will (at least) pretend to be a believer of whatever god/gods the majority believes.

That does seem to be a common theme with her; she, someone who has never really had a permanent home, but tries to make herself at home with different cultures, but no matter where she goes she has to conform/pretend to be one of them, even if she doesn't like it.

On 9/1/2018 at 4:22 PM, Vaedys Targaryen said:

All of these, especially the bolded parts; whether she stays in Slaver's Bay, goes with the Dothraki or goes to Westeros, she will (at least) pretend to be a believer of whatever god/gods the majority believes.

That does seem to be a common theme with her; she, someone who has never really had a permanent home, but tries to make herself at home with different cultures, but no matter where she goes she has to conform/pretend to be one of them, even if she doesn't like it.

Certainly this is a good way to look at it.  Another way to see this is she has traveled to so many places and met many people from different religions and cultures.   Someone who have had this much exposure to many beliefs in their young life will have had the opportunity to make comparisons.   She can take the best of each and reject the worst of each in private to form her own, private beliefs.  But yeah, religion will be a tool in public to further her aims.  

One of the beautiful parts of her story line is the need to decide how and where to use her power.  Sooner or later the decision will have to be made.  Stay and help the slaves or go to Westeros and fight the Others.  Either choices are correct.  The religion which she will publicly support could be determined by this decision.

Religion hasn't been a big part of Dany's arc, she has been an agnostic all her life. However, she is seen by a couple of different religions ( The Dothraki, R'hllor, The Harpy gods) as a saviour. I don't think Dany will chose a specific religion but instead she will let these religions continue praising her etc.

On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 11:29 AM, Rufus Snow said:

She's not an atheist.  But, she certainly is not dogmatic about following any particular creed.

My knee-jerk-reaction was the same as all those above - that Dany won't sincerely put her faith in any religion.

But on page she has accepted lots of the Dothraki metaphysics, calling Drogo her Sun and Stars still in aDwD, having thoughts about whether she'll be accepted into the Nightlands and about Drogo's starry khalasaar, her memories of the the Mother of Mountains and the Womb of the World have a pretty religious tone. Maybe part of the stockholm syndrome, but still very much present.

10 hours ago, Sea Dragon said:

Danaerys will be the religion. She is the breaker of chains. People are already rightfully flocking to her to worship her because she is a powerful ruler. This is her story. 

Benerro is convinced.  Daenerys will use him to create some kind of structure to help the freed men and women adjust to their new lives as free people.  Religion provides structure and helps create a value system.  It takes time though.

Archived