New Veronica Mars series incoming

Werthead

12 hours ago, red snow said:

I wonder which regular character will die in that bomb? Because it kind of has to be one of them to give the show some momentum.

It would be typical for the show if it was someone with a personal connection to Veronica that was hurt/killed, although they're sometimes relatively minor characters.

1 hour ago, williamjm said:

It would be typical for the show if it was someone with a personal connection to Veronica that was hurt/killed, although they're sometimes relatively minor characters.

Hopefully not wallace! Duncan or mac could work if they could get the actors (I can't remember if they were written out of show beforehand). Most likely someone who is listed as a recurring cast member. As long as it isn't her dad!

8 minutes ago, red snow said:

Hopefully not wallace! Duncan or mac could work if they could get the actors (I can't remember if they were written out of show beforehand). Most likely someone who is listed as a recurring cast member. As long as it isn't her dad!

I think bringing Duncan back would require a bit too much explanation given that the last time we saw he was a fugitive from justice. Mac could be possible (last we see her in the movie she's helping Veronica at her office), although I find the idea of her attending a Spring Break event a bit out of character.

8 hours ago, williamjm said:

I think bringing Duncan back would require a bit too much explanation given that the last time we saw he was a fugitive from justice. Mac could be possible (last we see her in the movie she's helping Veronica at her office), although I find the idea of her attending a Spring Break event a bit out of character.

It does sound more of a dick Casablancas thing 

• 1 month later...
On 7/20/2019 at 9:54 PM, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Well, this is a pleasant surprise. Season 4 has dropped a week early. :)

Does this not mess up their first week viewings? I guess a lot of people will be unaware until next week that the show is out.

Minor spoiler from the first few eps...

Spoiler

So you're really telling me that the FBI is just not going to investigate a bombing where a sitting Congressman's brother is potentially the target because the local police chief doesn't want them to?  Really?

"Nah, let's just leave this to the most incompetent police force in the country, guys.  They've got this shit handled."

Finished it.  Lot to unpack and I'm on my phone so it will have to wait, but I will say this...

Spoiler

Wasn't it nice to see a Patton Oswalt character get a win for once?

Even if his win was the result of the main characters being really fucking stupid and not checking the suspicious backpack of the man they believed to be the bomber until about ten minutes earlier.

So, non-spoiler, is it worth watching?  I have a free Hulu trial, and I could use it to catch up on The Handmaid's TaleFuture Man, and watch Castle Rock.  None of them are making me feel like I need to get Hulu right now though.

41 minutes ago, RedEyedGhost said:

So, non-spoiler, is it worth watching?  I have a free Hulu trial, and I could use it to catch up on The Handmaid's TaleFuture Man, and watch Castle Rock.  None of them are making me feel like I need to get Hulu right now though.

As a Veronica Mars fan I enjoyed it despite some very dubious writing and extremely convenient character stupidity at times.  I wouldn't sign up to Hulu just to watch it, though.

So, thoughts:

Spoiler

Torn. I think my difficulty stems from the idea that I realize this is noir, and just because a story doesn't resolve the way you want it to doesn't make it a "bad story." I'm trying to draw the line between what I think were storytelling mistakes v choices I didn't like BECAUSE YOU DON'T FUCKING KILL MY DUDE! If he IS dead. More on that later.

I watched this season in dread because Francis Capra (Weevil) -- with that amazing new Twitter feature where you can see when people you follow "like" a tweet -- liked a tweet which alluded to something bad happening to Logan. I knew it had to be death, but I hoped futility that I misunderstood and maybe it was just him being character assassinated in the figurative sense -- something that could be fixed later. No such luck.

I spent the entire season pissed at Veronica for being a shitty girlfriend, basking in the drama while he was trying to improve. I actually think one problem with the season is the writers writing Veronica in such a way as to highlight how "good" Logan now was. I don't feel like he needed that much help at Veronica's expense.

Logan has had the most satisfying character arc/evolution over the course of the last 15 years -- from the tropey bully of season one, to the damaged anti-hero, all the way through to the special agent in therapy, finding ways to channel his rage. That's how you write a fucking character -- you don't forget any of the beats along the way. That said, I truly dug Logan this season and thought his therapist (President Ros!) should've been a recurring character, and we should've seen more of his sessions.

So, the infamous choice. Do I hate it because I love Logan or do I hate it because it was a shitty ploy to punch us in the gut right after we saw two beloved characters get married after 15 years of leadup?

I get that this is noir, but it seems like Veronica is consistently put in situations where she's traumatized. We're not talking bittersweet endings to stories, like the way season 3 ended, with her coming full circle -- not getting her happy ending, but getting an ended which paid tribute to her character. This just seemed like a really over-the-top way of giving her even more issues than she had previously. Add a murdered boyfriend to her ledger, and one she can essentially blame herself for. Do we really need to keep upping the ante on her PTSD? Dead best friend, rape, now murdered husband?

That is, if he truly is dead. We didn't see a body, and of course, all the Logan lovers are hypothesizing reasons why he can't be dead -- that this is just a ruse. I will admit, some of the theories are compelling. Regardless, you can always argue Rob Thomas wrote this so ambiguously because he wanted to read how it would go over with fans and retcon it if there were riots.

So, the SEASON. What did I think of the season? I liked it. I thought the mystery was compelling and that they did a great job "growing" these characters up. It felt like it did a decade ago, but with a maturity that comes along with these characters being adults. There were just enough twists and turns with the mystery to keep you guessing and the ultimate Big Bad didn't disappoint me. It was all earned.

But nothing will ever top when the mystery directly spins out of Veronica's own personal life, though...the Lilly Kane murder is still my favorite whodunit.

The new characters weren't completely offensive. I thought Matty was a little too good at the ninja shit when she was first introduced. I get that she's supposed to be Veronica's protege, but Roni had an excuse to be great at 16 -- she was the daughter of a PI. Matty is the daughter of a motel manager. Didn't make sense for her to be able to make Veronica look so bad in the early going. I dug the new sheriff -- she was a different flavor than the bumbling Lambs we're used to, but still the nagging obstacle.

That said, I thought it was lame as hell that they couldn't find a way to use Wallace. He was an extra, for all intents and purposes -- as useless as the weird Parker cameo in the final episode. Weevil meant more to the season than Wallace did, and that's a problem.

As much as I love Veronica, I don't know what this show is without Logan.

I finished it yesterday. I thought the season was quite good as a whole, but the last episode was terrible:

Spoiler

I've never been much of a fan of the Logan - Veronica relationship, they are more fun to watch when they are frenemies, and watching two persons with major psychological and trust issues in a relationship gets exhausting pretty fast, but killing off Logan in such an idiotic way still annoyed me a lot. Veronica and Keith should have retired from the sleuthing business from pure embarrassment after their idiotic behaviour in the last episode. The bomb defusing scene was so dumb. Keith and veronica arrived in time to get the crowd to evacuate at a safe distance, yet Keith decided to risk his life anyway. I guess he really hated to see some property damage to the local school or something. And of course he pulled the wire in the last possible second and the show even did a "screen goes all black"  fakeout to make it more silly. It's pretty hilarious how everyone decided to stop 50 meters away and watch Keith and Penn trying to defuse a bomb instead of evacuating further away, if it had been a more powerful bomb and it had gone off these people all would have been prime candidates for the Darwyn award.

Liked the season overall and I don't think the death is a huge problem. Clyde is a great addition to the cast. I would be hugely pissed though if Keith or Weevil died. Probably the best show on television to show how the rich fucks keeping on winning and winning, at the expense of every other human being.

• 2 weeks later...

I enjoyed the season a lot, they did a great job of making the show grow up in tone while maintaining the humour. While it was a shame a lot of regulars were missing or underutilized it felt organic to me - not many people keep the same circle of friends from school through to their mid 30s. It makes sense how Wallace remains a friend but doesn't want to be mixed up in solving bombings.

JK Simmons is always welcome in a show and pairing him with Enrico was a great choice as they are both great. Patton Oswald was good fun too and maddy/matty reminded me a lot of Dawson's creek era katie holmes.

Spoliery stuff

Logan's death was harsh but i was braced for it. I can see how there is wiggle room for his survival but he's either badly injured or he's undone his characterisation by jumping in the taxi that approached before the bomb went off. Far fetched solution was he was picked up for a top secret mission just prior to the bomb going off. But it gets to a point where the far fetched overwhelms my wanting logan to survive. 

That said I'm pleased Logan's death wasn't as tragic as i thought it was going to be. I honestly thought they were building up to him committing suicide. He was so muted throughout most of the season and his constant pleas for Veronica to help or go to therapy being ignored had me fearing he was completely adrift. So while the car bomb is a bit silly and leaves Veronica with guilt it's nowhere near as bad as if Logan had killed himself.

I hope the show has been well received despite the weird preemptive release and while an additional season would have to be quite different, I'd definitely be up for it as long as Thomas has a story he wants to tell. Kristen Bell seems to love the character so i imagine she's always happy to return.

Spoiler

The showrunner Rob Thomas has been very clear in several interviews he's given lately that Logan is dead and will stay dead and seems quite happy to be rid of him so he can tell the type of story he apparently prefers - Veronica traveling around America solving crimes.

1 hour ago, David Selig said:
  Hide contents

The showrunner Rob Thomas has been very clear in several interviews he's given lately that Logan is dead and will stay dead and seems quite happy to be rid of him so he can tell the type of story he apparently prefers - Veronica traveling around America solving crimes.

Well, he definitely achieved that goal! 

although without her dad traveling with her the show would not be the same. The relationship between her and her dad is the most the heart of the show for me

2 hours ago, David Selig said:
  Hide contents

Spoiler

From what I've read, his logic is that Veronica being happily married would have sapped a lot of the drama from the show, so rather than try to constantly insert drama into their relationship (and if we're being honest, that manufactured drama with Logan and Veronica was probably the worst part of the most recent season), they thought it better to kill him off.  He also said the only reason he had them end up together in the first place was because he felt he owed the people who backed the movie the conclusion that they wanted.

Makes sense, too.  He thought that was the last we'd see Veronica Mars on the screen, so there wasn't a ton of downside to having them get together.

Archived