Stone men appreciation thread

18 minutes ago, Sensenmenn said:

Again your not reading I said magic and old world mysterys and greyscale is a magical plage.

I think of greyscale like the morgal blade from LotR it can be slowed by herbs but can only be cured by magic but they will never be the same afterwards. 

I am reading what you said and you are wrong. Not Jon's alternative parentage wrong, but close 

This is another of martin's bs ambiguities.

Somehow Shirleen acquired greyscale when she was a babe. There is no explanation how the girl got it.

No one that the reader knows of acquired greyscale from her. :dunno: For sum reason Val thinks the girl unclean and needs to die.

For some unknown reason Jon Con acquires this contagious disease when he saves Tyrion.

Read that.  Jon Con not Jorah acquires greyscale.

There is also a little discrepancy about the bridge rewind thing ama jiggy that is chalked up to editorial problems.

15 minutes ago, Sensenmenn said:

Has anyone else considered the possibility of the stone men being the deep ones equivalent of the others wights? 

I dunna know. I haven't read the coffee table book.

Do the Deep Ones play a part in the ASOIAF story? Are the Deep Ones krakens?

A Storm of Swords - Daenerys I      "In the Seven Kingdoms, there are tales of dragons who grew so huge that they could pluck giant krakens from the seas."

A Storm of Swords - Tyrion III    The eunuch drew a parchment from his sleeve. "A kraken has been seen off the Fingers." He giggled. "Not a Greyjoy, mind you, a true kraken. It attacked an Ibbenese whaler and pulled it under.

19 hours ago, shameeka said:

ASOIAF version of leprosy stigma. The disfigured look and lack of treatment led them to be isolated from society. They're people who are very sick and famished, but circumstances made them become monsters. An insight of how medieval era dealt with epidemic without proper medical knowledge.

More than just a version, per se; many of the symptoms of the Stone men are directly from the book of Leprosy, IIRC--including the shutting down of the internal organs in the last stages of the disease. (It's been awhile, though, so I have to look these up to see if I'm right.) I also recall lack of sensation and a greyish tint to the skin...again, only if IRC. 

17 minutes ago, Clegane'sPup said:

I dunna know. I haven't read the coffee table book.

Do the Deep Ones play a part in the ASOIAF story? Are the Deep Ones krakens?

A Storm of Swords - Daenerys I      "In the Seven Kingdoms, there are tales of dragons who grew so huge that they could pluck giant krakens from the seas."

A Storm of Swords - Tyrion III    The eunuch drew a parchment from his sleeve. "A kraken has been seen off the Fingers." He giggled. "Not a Greyjoy, mind you, a true kraken. It attacked an Ibbenese whaler and pulled it under.

https://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?/topic/151179-spoilers-extended-fish-men-a-theory-of-the-deep-ones-oily-black-stone-mazemakers-shrykes-the-far-far-east-and-the-far-far-west/

Here's a thread that talks about them. 

5 minutes ago, Sensenmenn said:

Thanks. There is a thread that talks about them. Cool.

Does it relate to the five ASOIAF books? Is there anything in the five published books that discusses the Deep Ones? Or are the Deep Ones in your opinion possibly squishers or krakens?

3 minutes ago, Clegane'sPup said:

Thanks. There is a thread that talks about them. Cool.

Does it relate to the five ASOIAF books? Is there anything in the five published books that discusses the Deep Ones? Or are the Deep Ones in your opinion possibly squishers or krakens?

There are a lot refernces like the squisher(I don't know if I spelled that right) in briennes chapters, the sea stone chair, the sisterton people, and the unknown creature that splashed in the underground sea far beneath bloodravens cave in brans chapters. 

But most of what has to do with the deep ones is in the world book. 

Archived