Would Robert marry Elia if Tywin didn't kill her?

51 minutes ago, Hodor the Articulate said:

No. He needed Tywin's money, and Elia couldn't have anymore children.

Honestly, I think death was less torture than having to marry the man responsible for the murders of her children.

Marriage of Stannis and Cersei would solve financial problems. They would be such a lovely couple .

23 minutes ago, Prince Yourwetdream Aeryn said:

Marriage of Stannis and Cersei would solve financial problems. They would be such a lovely couple

That would be a pretty bad match for Tywin though. Add to that that Robert snubbed Cersei for Elia and I don't see why the Old Lion would be as free with his gold.

13 minutes ago, BigBoss1 said:

you reward your allies not the people you fought against

Marrying the daughter of someone you beat is a way of ensuring a lasting peace. The Kings of Winter did that a lot.

If Robert wanted to reward allies he would have married Cat, Lysa or the daughter of a important Bannerman from the North, Vale, Riverlands or Stormlands. Not the Late-to-the-Party Lord Lannister's daughter.

5 minutes ago, Frey family reunion said:

Stranger things have happened, but I think most of the posters are correct.  The Cersei match was bound to happen because of the respective strength and money of House Lannister as opposed to what the Martells could offer.

The only way I could see happening is if Cersei died in childbirth/was caught with Jaime much sooner.

Also Elia and Robert would have to be a better biological match so her Bobby B babies wouldn't be as dangerous to her health. Considering what we hear about deformed Targ babies maybe that actually could happen. If nothing else fucking Rhaegar's wife would be a big ego boost for Robert and I don't think she'd mind his sleeping around so much.

Still it is in the same class longshot as hitting the moon with a slingshot.

5 hours ago, Prince Yourwetdream Aeryn said:

In the title

In a scenario where Tywin still killed Elia's children? No. And it likely would have required making her a hostage to secure Dorne's begrudging support.

In a scenario where Tywin also spared Elia's children? Most likely not. But it wouldn't have been necessary for him to marry Elia to secure Dorne's support in such a scenario.

57 minutes ago, Ylath's Snout said:

That would be a pretty bad match for Tywin though. Add to that that Robert snubbed Cersei for Elia and I don't see why the Old Lion would be as free with his gold.

Tywin would have been lucky to secure such a match with the new regime after contributing nothing all war until the sack. Stannis was Robert's heir so long as Robert had no legitimate issue, and Robert isn't likely to produce legitimate issue in the unlikely scenario that he weds Elia, something Tywin would have been well aware of. It might not have been ideal, or his preference, but beggars can't be choosers, and if that were his only in to the new regime, better to be on the inside than to be left out.

In such a scenario, Robert would have had the support of the Arryns, Martells, Starks, and Tullys, with the Tyrells bending the knee as well. Tywin wasn't going to get anywhere opposing the new regime, and a match with Stannis would have given him marriage ties that would produce blood ties, where the Arryns, Starks, and Tullys had ties of friendship that might not survive the current lords.

1 minute ago, Bael's Bastard said:

Stannis was Robert's heir so long as Robert had no legitimate issue, and Robert isn't likely to produce legitimate issue in the unlikely scenario that he weds Elia, something Tywin would have been well aware of.

True, unless all of Elia's pregnancy related problems where Targ-gene related. But like you said, not ideal.

21 minutes ago, Ylath's Snout said:

Also Elia and Robert would have to be a better biological match so her Bobby B babies wouldn't be as dangerous to her health. Considering what we hear about deformed Targ babies maybe that actually could happen. If nothing else fucking Rhaegar's wife would be a big ego boost for Robert and I don't think she'd mind his sleeping around so much.

Robert is Targaryen too.

22 minutes ago, Prince Yourwetdream Aeryn said:

Tywin wanted to marry Cersei to Prince of Dragonstone for years.

Yeah when the king was frail and not really fertile Aerys. Stannis is liable to re replace by Roberts firstborn as Prince of Dragonstone.

19 minutes ago, Prince Yourwetdream Aeryn said:

Robert is Targaryen too.

One fourth. Also we never hear about Robert lovers having miscarriages with tailed and scaly babies.

Whatever fukker is afflicting the Targ bloodline isn't a problem for Bobby B.

1 hour ago, Ylath's Snout said:

True, unless all of Elia's pregnancy related problems where Targ-gene related. But like you said, not ideal.

Elia's health appears to have always been an issue.

"It is not for such as me to say what might have been in your brother's heart, Your Grace. The Princess Elia was a good and gracious lady, though her health was ever delicate." (Barristan Selmy in ASOS: Daenerys IV)

Elia found it all exciting. She was of that age, and her delicate health had never permitted her much travel. (Oberyn in ASOS: Tyrion X)

I was nine when Elia came, a squire in service at Salt Shore. When the raven arrived with word that my mother had been brought to bed a month too soon, I was old enough to understand that meant the child would not live. Even when Lord Gargalen told me that I had a sister, I assured him that she must shortly die. Yet she lived, by the Mother's mercy. (Doran in AFFC: Captain of Guards)

A bride for our bright prince. Jon Connington remembered Prince Rhaegar's wedding all too well. Elia was never worthy of him. She was frail and sickly from the first, and childbirth only left her weaker. After the birth of Princess Rhaenys, her mother had been bedridden for half a year, and Prince Aegon's birth had almost been the death of her. She would bear no more children, the maesters told Prince Rhaegar afterward. (Jon Connington in ADWD: Griffen Reborn)

Early in the year 279 AC, Rhaegar Targaryen, Prince of Dragonstone, was formally betrothed to Princess Elia Martell, the delicate young sister of Doran Martell, Prince of Dorne. (TWOIAF: Aerys II)

17 hours ago, Ylath's Snout said:

Marrying the daughter of someone you beat is a way of ensuring a lasting peace. The Kings of Winter did that a lot.

Dorne wasn't a threat though. The rebel alliance would have crushed them if they tried anything. Tywin's wealth was far more important.

17 hours ago, Bael's Bastard said:

Tywin would have been lucky to secure such a match with the new regime after contributing nothing all war until the sack. Stannis was Robert's heir so long as Robert had no legitimate issue, and Robert isn't likely to produce legitimate issue in the unlikely scenario that he weds Elia, something Tywin would have been well aware of. It might not have been ideal, or his preference, but beggars can't be choosers, and if that were his only in to the new regime, better to be on the inside than to be left out.

In such a scenario, Robert would have had the support of the Arryns, Martells, Starks, and Tullys, with the Tyrells bending the knee as well. Tywin wasn't going to get anywhere opposing the new regime, and a match with Stannis would have given him marriage ties that would produce blood ties, where the Arryns, Starks, and Tullys had ties of friendship that might not survive the current lords.

Tywin wasn't a beggar. His gave Robert an easy win in KL, and ensured there wouldn't be challenged from Rhaegar's heirs while keeping Robert's hands clean. Add to that the wealth he would bring to KL, Tywin had a good deal of power over Robert. What other marriage alliance for Robert would be as mutually beneficial?

While marriage to Stannis wouldn't have be a negative, the further removed from the King Tywin is, the harder it would have been to ask him for money without risking souring their relationship.

Also, I doubt Tywin would accept that union, hoping/expecting Robert would issue no legitimate heirs. Elia would have been forced to bear a heir or literally die trying. If the latter happened, Robert would simply replace her with a Queen that could bear him a son.

Archived