Football: Sarri state of affairs

Iskaral Pust

Moving on to the transfer rumour mill.

Leipzig still hope to land Everton's Lookman.

Rudy is on his way to Schalke

And PSG are apprently still interested in signing Boateng, and have rumored offered a player swap with Draxler moving to Bayern in exchange for Boateng. Which might be tempting for Bayern after Coman picked up an injury during the season opener against Hoffenheim.

Also Dortmund about to finalize the signing of Barca's Alcacer on a loan (with an option to buy) to add a needed striker to their lineup

Utd vs Spurs today.  Liverpool fans for once don’t want a heavy Utd loss in case it gets Mourinho sacked too early. 

Spurs have a rotten record at OT, and haven’t been great yet in their first two games but they have taken their goals very well.  

Hard to know what to expect from today.  Utd might come out fighting for some pride but it seems more likely that they’ll keep things tight and look to score on a counter.  

3 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Hard to know what to expect from today.  Utd might come out fighting for some pride but it seems more likely that they’ll keep things tight and look to score on a counter.  

Yeah, in the wake of a horrendous defensive performance I'm not sure coming out firing and potentially getting battered by Spurs is Mourinho's thing. I suspect they'll make extra sure to keep it tight.

4 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Leipzig still hope to land Everton's Lookman.

It's a little odd he hasn't been involved so far for Everton, he's one of the better youth prospects they've had for years and he went to the Bundesliga and scored 5 goals in 11 games, you'd think they'd definitely want to give him game time to convince him to stay. Unless he's spat his dummy over wanting a move I suppose. :dunno:

ETA: 6 changes for United. Mata and Bailly don’t even make the bench.

15 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

Such a defensive lineup from United today. Is Matic going to be playing in a back three?

Herrera is by the look of it, which is a little odd.

United are actually pressing pretty aggressively though in fairness.

That should have been a Spurs penalty but, despite that, decent first half for United, they've been the better team for me. There's definitely been a bit of a reaction to the Brighton game and, to be fair to them, they have given it a bit of a go.

Just now, Soylent Brown said:

Eriksen hasn't been great for me, he's played a number of careless passes that have either gone straight to United player or led to United possession within moments.

He's a player I really like but there's been a sloppiness or laziness to his work on the ball tonight. He's the type of player that would be hard to hook, though, as he has moments of excellence in his locker.

So Mourinho's take-away from this game is that he should play even more cautiously in future.  He made a big drama of replacing both CBs -- who he signed for big fees -- only to see the replacements concede another three.

Lucas Moura seems to have settled in.  He didn't make much impact when he arrived in January but his production has leaped forward.  Spurs won by a big margin despite Utd having more possession and a lot more (off target) shots.  They have been taking their goals really well so far without actually playing all that well.  It's nice that Utd are finally on the receiving end of that kind of efficiency.

Archived