Football: Sarri state of affairs

Iskaral Pust

27 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Juve and PSG I would agree are similarly tough.  You think Valencia are as tough as Napoli currently?  Even losing Sarri, the Napoli team looks a lot better to me than a Valencia still climbing back from a big drop off in recent years.  That’s the entire distinction for me.

Neither pot 4 team looks like they’ll be a threat. 

Nah I agree Napoli are better than Valencia but I also rate Juve over PSG by a decent bit. I would agree Liverpool’s group is marginally tougher but I think we have a better chance at advancing than United :leaving: both should be making it to the knockouts though. 

4 hours ago, ljkeane said:

PSG and Napoli. Bollocks.

No fear of Red Star, Belgrade? :lol:

Good news is that Liverpool will be coming to my hometown. Will definitely try to grab a ticket but it will be difficult.

4 hours ago, Consigliere said:

Burnley put in a good effort and created enough chances to win this game comfortably. Unfortunately their finishing let them down badly tonight. 

And they’ll be exhausted again this weekend for Utd.  Tough start of the season for Burnley.  Out of the EL before it really starts but it still all the downside of spoiling their first four PL games.  Obviously they’re missing Defour at the moment and will improve when he’s back, but it’s a harsh reward for their great season last year. 

7 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

Nah I agree Napoli are better than Valencia but I also rate Juve over PSG by a decent bit. I would agree Liverpool’s group is marginally tougher but I think we have a better chance at advancing than United :leaving: both should be making it to the knockouts though. 

I’d agree that Juve are probably a shade ahead of PSG, although PSG were cruising in the CL last year until Neymar got injured.  And Tuchel is arguably an upgrade on Emery, and Mbappe has a year more of development.  But with two qualifying from the group, it doesn’t matter about the strength of the top team, it matters most about the threat from the other two teams.  That’s why Napoli or Valencia is the clincher for me.  

Besides, Juve is a match up that suits Mourinho.  I can imagine him getting two draws against them, forcing Juve to beat Valencia to be sure of qualifying.  In a small group like these, you can get knock-on benefits like that.

I’m still not saying it’s a cake walk, but it’s a group that should have the top two comfortably clear of the other two.  Provided United stop shitting the bed. 

5 hours ago, baxus said:

No fear of Red Star, Belgrade? :lol:

Good news is that Liverpool will be coming to my hometown. Will definitely try to grab a ticket but it will be difficult.

Not to dismiss them at all.  Liverpool’s three CL opponents all got more than 90 points in their respective leagues last season.  They’re all serial winners.  But allowing for strength of league opposition, I hope Liverpool can handle Red Star.  These aren’t the Brendan Rodgers days. 

5 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Not to dismiss them at all.  Liverpool’s three CL opponents all got more than 90 points in their respective leagues last season.  They’re all serial winners.  But allowing for strength of league opposition, I hope Liverpool can handle Red Star.  These aren’t the Brendan Rodgers days. 

Let me put it this way - if Crvena Zvezda gets a point out two matches against Liverpool it will be a major upset.

I mean, they did manage to grab a point against Arsenal in London last season but Arsenal sent out a much weakened squad.

The worst problem with Crvena Zvezda and Partizan in European competitions is the low quality of the league. To make matters worse, most of their opponents just roll over when playing against them so they just walk through most of the league. Since Yugoslavia fell apart, the only time two of them didn't end up #1 and #2 in the league was when one of Serbian most notorious criminals at the time had bribed and threatened the way for his club to win the league in '97/'98, and finish second the next year.

They are "serial winners" but are also not accustomed to playing significantly stronger opposition. I don't see a way Crvena Zvezda can get a point off not only Liverpool, but any of their opponents in this group.

5 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Time for some uninformed speculation.  A lot of Utd fans would like to see Pochettino as manager if Mourinho gets the boot. Do you think Poch would abandon Spurs now for Utd?

I think he should stay at Tottenham. He has done a magnificent job there, but it still feels like they are on the cusp of achieving something, as they are still to win a trophy. 

With the emergence of a 'top 6', I think clubs and fans recognise that winning a trophy, not least the league title, is becoming more and more difficult for English clubs. Also, in English football, we are seeing that the style of play of a team is becoming a lot more important to fans. Personally, as a Chelsea fan, in the Abramovich Era, trophies have been everything - we have seen that from how managers have been sacked for not delivering them and the type of managers we have appointed: managers accustomed to winning trophies. Last season, Conte delivered a trophy, his second in two seasons, but was sacked and replaced with Sarri, who has won no major trophies as a head coach.

People like Guardiola, Klopp and Pochettino have helped create the belief amongst fans that seeing your team progress and play good football can be as enjoyable as winning a trophy. Chelsea won the FA Cup last season, but the success of it felt hollow, considering how negatively we played in the final. Liverpool won nothing last season, finished one place higher than us in the league (albeit, that one position qualified them for the Champions League), but their fans were delighted with how things went because, at least, they were entertained.

Obviously, you need to win something sometime, though; Pochettino hasn't won anything at Tottenham yet, so I think it would be a shame, from their perspective, to see him leave before he was able to bring them some silverware. 

As for Pochettino taking the Man United job - at the moment, I think the role he is currently in is a lot more appealing. Tottenham spent nothing over the summer and have spent a lot less than Man United in recent years, yet, in my opinion, they have a superior squad, and, by far, a superior starting XI. 

15 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

I'd reverse one rating though. I'd put PSG slightly ahead of Juve (but that's open for discussion obviously). But both are tricky and rather unpleasent  groups, and I could see either United or Liverpool finishing third in their respective groups.

Having that said, the City group is also not that easy. City should win it given their quality, but it's really far from an easy group. Donezk is an experienced side, Lyon are also not exactly pushovers and Hoffenheim was also one of the more difficult teams from pot 4. They would probably swap that one for Red Star or Bern in a heartbeat if they could. So this is gonna be a tight race of who finishes second in their group behind City.

And Spurs got indeed drawn into the toughest group, again. They should finish second behind Barca, but they could nearly as easily crash out of the European competition altogether.

I also think Group D looks realtively easy.

And of course Bayern with the obligatory luck at the drawing. 

8 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Time for some uninformed speculation.  A lot of Utd fans would like to see Pochettino as manager if Mourinho gets the boot. Do you think Poch would abandon Spurs now for Utd?

There's absolutely no way Levy even negotiates with a league rival. Plus, Poch seems happy at Spurs so I don't see him trying to force Levy's hand. He's got a strong team despite no transfers this season and all the players are 100% behind him. That's why I'd rather we go for Jardim should Mourinho get the sack. However, Woodward likes his big names so Zidane or Conte would be the most likely targets and neither would require United to pay compensation. 

Gerrard watch: Rangers hung on for a draw away despite seeing two red cards, and that takes them into the group stage of the EL. 

That’s at least three red cards for Rangers already this season.  Everton are falling behind now on an absolute basis, but still the lead on a per game basis. 

4 hours ago, Jordan La Cabra said:

People like Guardiola, Klopp and Pochettino have helped create the belief amongst fans that seeing your team progress and play good football can be as enjoyable as winning a trophy. Chelsea won the FA Cup last season, but the success of it felt hollow, considering how negatively we played in the final. Liverpool won nothing last season, finished one place higher than us in the league (albeit, that one position qualified them for the Champions League), but their fans were delighted with how things went because, at least, they were entertained.

Obviously, you need to win something sometime, though; Pochettino hasn't won anything at Tottenham yet, so I think it would be a shame, from their perspective, to see him leave before he was able to bring them some silverware. 

I wouldn't trade the joy I got from Newcastles mid 90s teams for a trophy, if it meant grinding out the victories.   

19 minutes ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

What is a Bournemouth and how much will Chelsea destroy them by? Four goals?

Well, I believe Bournemouth won by 3 goals last time they played.

2-1 to Chelsea would be my bet.

32 minutes ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

What is a Bournemouth and how much will Chelsea destroy them by? Four goals?

Last time Chelsea played Bournemouth at Stamford Bridge, Bournemouth beat us 3-0. I was there. Quite a match!

Bournemouth are a good footballing side. Ever since they came up to the Premier League they have stuck to trying to play attractive football, which makes them a likeable club. 

Eddie Howe, Bournemouth's manager, spent time with Sarri when Sarri was Empoli's manager and Sarri visited Howe at Bournemouth, so there is a mutual respect there. 

Bournemouth are undefeated in the league; Chelsea have won all their games; both teams are in form, so hopefully it is a good game. 

36 minutes ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

Well, I believe Bournemouth won by 3 goals last time they played.

2-1 to Chelsea would be my bet.

LIES. FAKE NEWS!

I did just Google the city and it is quite beautiful though. May try and convince my buddies to spend a night there when we go to the UK.

Archived